Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

010614-best_buy_logo.jpg

Consumer electronics retailer Best Buy has reportedly begun preparations for the launch of Apple's Wi-Fi iPad models on April 3rd, providing its retail store employees with details of events leading up to the launch. Sources report that the iPad will initially be carried only at Best Buy locations offering devoted "store-within-a-store" Apple Shop sections. Approximately 675 of the company's over 1000 U.S. locations offer such dedicated sales areas for Apple products, and other locations and bestbuy.com will not carry the iPad at launch.

Best Buy locations will also not be opening early on launch day, as the company believes that it would offer little benefit due to a lack of sales competition while incurring additional operational expense. It appears at this time that only Apple and Best Buy will be carrying the iPad in retail stores at launch.

Display materials for the iPad launch are reportedly scheduled to arrive at participating Best Buy stores early next week, and store planograms indicate that two notebooks and an iMac will be displaced from the usual Apple Shop layout to accommodate four iPad demo units and associated accessories for display.

Reports curiously indicate that the demo units encompass four separate SKUs, while Apple is launching only three Wi-Fi iPad models on April 3rd. The identity of the fourth model to be demoed is unknown, although it is possible that stores may be receiving a Wi-Fi + 3G model, scheduled for launch in late April, for demo purposes.

Apple is obviously also gearing up for next week's iPad launch, with many customers today noting preauthorization holds being placed on their credit card accounts for iPad pre-orders.

Article Link: Best Buy Preps for April 3rd iPad Launch

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
It looks like Apple didn't have too many production problems.

This is a rare opportunity for me to cheer Warranty Buy.

Jakron

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
ill confirm this, im already slated to work the overnight to set up our displays and the work the next day to sell the ipads themselves.

hashtlt

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
I pre-ordered two ipads and reserved two in store I wonder if I can get all 4 or will they notice??

Jakron

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
those of you that work at BB try and find out how many units your store is bringing in!

the dummy sku's for them have been removed from our system... no actuall sku has been placed yet, so i have no way to find out yet... id assume 50ish for my store for the first day or 2.. with our general mac output... id hope for more. but idk

cwlaw84

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
This is very exciting news as I have best buy card and wouldn't mind enjoying the 18 months of no interest financing that it offers on purchases over 299 (might mean I'll spring for the 64 instead of 32)!

Anyone know if the sku is slated as a computer device or as something else? I'm wondering what the return policy will be... for most non-computer devices isn't it 30 days versus 14 for computer devices? If that is the case, what happens when the hoards buy wi-fi only models, use them for the month, decide to get the 3g and return the wi-fi? There's going to have to be a restocking fee or something to keep that sort of thing down I'm sure!

Either way, definitely exciting news!

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
the dummy sku's for them have been removed from our system... no actuall sku has been placed yet, so i have no way to find out yet... id assume 50ish for my store for the first day or 2.. with our general mac output... id hope for more. but idk

Do they expect big crowds? I have no idea what to expect for an Apple product launch at a Best Buy. Wonder what time I should get there :confused:

Jakron

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
This is very exciting news as I have best buy card and wouldn't mind enjoying the 18 months of no interest financing that it offers on purchases over 299 (might mean I'll spring for the 64 instead of 32)!

Anyone know if the sku is slated as a computer device or as something else? I'm wondering what the return policy will be... for most non-computer devices isn't it 30 days versus 14 for computer devices? If that is the case, what happens when the hoards buy wi-fi only models, use them for the month, decide to get the 3g and return the wi-fi? There's going to have to be a restocking fee or something to keep that sort of thing down I'm sure!

Either way, definitely exciting news!

the dummy skus were slated as computers, and they are going to be sold next to the macs in the computer department in the apple shop, not near our ipod displays... id only assume they would carry the 14 day . im kinda curious on how our warranty pricing will work for them as well.... guess ill find out on the 2nd :/

Jakron

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
Do they expect big crowds? I have no idea what to expect for an Apple product launch at a Best Buy. Wonder what time I should get there :confused:

depends on your town/bestbuy

with how busy my store is, if i dont have atleast over 50 i wont make it through the first day without selling out... probably not the first few hours lol, with how much we get hounded by people asking about them

cwlaw84

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
I imagine stock levels will be low enough to keep people from coming in, buying on day 1, returning on day 13, buying again on day 15, returning... etc. to wait for the 3g.

I personally want the 3g version (I don't think I'll use the 3G that often, but I like the flexibility of having it if I want it and GPS for certain apps is nice)... but I have a project that I am hoping to utilize the iPad for before the 3G release... maybe I'll get the wi-fi only and then give it to my parents or something :)

crobbins

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2006
Colorado
This does give me a little more incentive to buy one now. I have a bunch of reward zone money saved up and had no idea what to do with it. It would pay for a pretty decent chunk of an iPad. It is likely I'll still hold out for the 3G iPad though..

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
That sounds plausible, about 15-18 per SKU at each store. With 675 "assisted retail" locations, that's maybe 34,000 units for the BB channel on launch day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.