Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 27, 2010, 04:28 PM   #1
carlcosby
macrumors member

Problems with ATV, viewing tv show.

Does anybody know why after moving my iTunes folder to my ext HD, then consolidated, then deleted original files, some files don't show up on the ATV? but the rest are fine?

I'm confused, I restarted MBP, I rebooted ATV and updated software but this didn't fix the problem. I want to watch a tv show that I have in my iTunes media folder, it's there I can see it, it's in iTunes too, it's there!!!! But not on my ATV. somebody please shed some light on this for me before I throw this useless piece of ***** out of the window.

Thanks
Old Mar 27, 2010, 08:48 PM   #2
alphajerk
macrumors member

Did you buy this tv show from iTunes or did you rip it?
alphajerk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 08:51 PM   #3
carlcosby
macrumors member

Rip it
Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:09 AM   #4
fpnc
macrumors 68000

Are you sure it is in a Apple TV compatible format? The Apple TV is limited to a maximum resolution of 1280x720 at 24fps. That also has to be in an H.264 QuickTime format. After you sync with the Apple TV do you see any little exclamation icons next to the Apple TV in the iTunes application itself (that would indicate a sync error, perhaps because the file format isn't supported by the Apple TV)?

Here is a link which contains the full list of compatible formats for the Apple TV:

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

If you think the format is okay you can try the following. First, make a backup of the file in question on your PC/Mac. Now go into iTunes and delete the file that appears in the iTunes list (use the iTune delete, don't delete the file directly). Now sync the Apple TV with the new iTunes content (since you've just removed one of the files). After the sync, move the backup back into iTunes and sync the Apple TV again. Now check to see if the new file synced and is playable on the Apple TV.
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater