Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:26 PM   #1
GadgetX
macrumors regular

Cheap iPad stand

http://theappleblog.com/2010/03/18/t...ap-ipad-stand/

Found this the other day and thought I'd share. Looks like a nice cheap alternative to apples dock, granted theres no dock connector obviously but it does fold flat. I searched around staples.com and officedepot.com and wasn't able to find anything like this. Anyone have any ideas where else to look?
GadgetX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 01:09 AM   #2
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Go take a look around an art supply store. They usually have small folding stands meant to hold small artwork, but work perfectly to hold bunches of paper for reading, which makes them also the perfect size to hold an iPad. I have a few stands I got from an art supply store many years ago, and plan to use them for my iPad.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 02:11 AM   #3
GadgetX
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
Go take a look around an art supply store. They usually have small folding stands meant to hold small artwork, but work perfectly to hold bunches of paper for reading, which makes them also the perfect size to hold an iPad. I have a few stands I got from an art supply store many years ago, and plan to use them for my iPad.
Oh sweet wouldn't have thought of looking there. Thanks for the tip!
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:30 AM   #4
Chris Rogers
macrumors 6502a

I happen to carry one of these around too for school, very handy!
Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:41 PM   #5
Brammy
macrumors 6502a

(I'm the author of the post, thanks for the mention).

What you're looking for is a "paper holder" The one I have is one I've had floating around for forever, but if you search for "paper holder" you'll find one. I kept looking for "paper stand" and coming up blank.
Brammy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 01:02 PM   #6
OneMike
macrumors 68040

pretty cool. wasn't really planning on getting a stand but if I do it'll be a route similar to this.
OneMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 01:54 PM   #7
GadgetX
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brammy View Post
(I'm the author of the post, thanks for the mention).

What you're looking for is a "paper holder" The one I have is one I've had floating around for forever, but if you search for "paper holder" you'll find one. I kept looking for "paper stand" and coming up blank.
Thanks for the info. I feel that a stand like this is going to be a lot more useful than Apples dock. I really don't feel that a small piece of plastic with a dock connector sticking out of it is worth $30 but hey, thats Apple for you.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 02:00 PM   #8
Brammy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetX View Post
Thanks for the info. I feel that a stand like this is going to be a lot more useful than Apples dock. I really don't feel that a small piece of plastic with a dock connector sticking out of it is worth $30 but hey, thats Apple for you.
The Apple one is handy if you like to keep your cables tucked away and want to drop it into a stand and get it charged.
Brammy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 02:04 PM   #9
flyguy206
macrumors 6502a

I got this a few weeks ago when i seen it on this site.http://www.amazon.com/Three-Display-...9799263&sr=8-9
Thumb resize.
flyguy206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 02:16 PM   #10
GadgetX
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brammy View Post
The Apple one is handy if you like to keep your cables tucked away and want to drop it into a stand and get it charged.
True, but I don't think it would be too difficult to route a cable to the bottom of the stand and accomplish everything the Apple dock can do for 1/3 the price.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 04:24 PM   #11
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy206 View Post
I got this a few weeks ago when i seen it on this site.http://www.amazon.com/Three-Display-...9799263&sr=8-9
Yes, that's exactly what I have, except mine is white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetX View Post
True, but I don't think it would be too difficult to route a cable to the bottom of the stand and accomplish everything the Apple dock can do for 1/3 the price.
Yup. You could also stand it in landscape or with the dock on the top while charging, thanks to the accelerator and Apple's insistence that iPad apps allow for full four-way rotation.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 06:06 PM   #12
BeckyG
macrumors member

paper stand alternative

Hi,
I am going to try out a plate/framed picture stand and see how that works for having it on the kitchen counter for cooking. The dimensions seem to match that of some frames I have.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 06:34 PM   #13
gwynne
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyG View Post
Hi,
I am going to try out a plate/framed picture stand and see how that works for having it on the kitchen counter for cooking. The dimensions seem to match that of some frames I have.
Ooh, I might have to try this out if I don't talk myself into the Apple case. The kitchen is the only place I really foresee an immediate need for this.
gwynne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:17 PM   #14
Clix Pix
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Location: 8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (Northern Virginia)
After having seen this thread earlier today, I pulled out some easel type thingies I had bought a long time ago for a photo project and tested them out with my "iPad Model," which is a book that is just about the exact dimensions and weight of the iPad. One of the easels is metal and I'm afraid it would scratch up my iPad, while the other one is lightweight plastic, almost too lightweight. Off to Office Depot I went....

They carry a house-brand "Premium Book & Copy Holder", which is black plastic, very sturdy and has 3 adjustable viewing angles. The iPad can be positioned in either portrait or landscape mode, no problem, and there is nothing to interfere when one reaches forward to touch it. I took one of these out of the box and put my "iPad model" on it right there at the store, just to be sure it would meet my needs, and once satisfied, bought two of them. They're just $5.99 each. One will live in my bedroom and the other will be out here in the main living area, but it also will be spending a lot of time on my balcony when I'm out there with the iPad.

While not as elegant looking as the much-more expensive MacAlly bookstand, I think this will do just as nicely at a far more reasonable price. It folds flat for easy transporting in a bag along with the iPad if one wants to do so. The clips move out of the way so that they won't touch the iPad and the iPad will rest on a shelf area. This should be very useful!

Now all I need is the iPad......

ETA: here is a photo of the item. I notice that it's twice as much on the online store as I paid. Interesting....

Last edited by Clix Pix; Mar 28, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Clix Pix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:48 PM   #15
gwynne
macrumors 65816

Great find, Clix. Thanks for posting.
gwynne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 05:23 AM   #16
soch
macrumors member

iPad wooden stand

My own stand.

Took me couple of hrs to design & build. Very satisfying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010654.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	220884  
soch is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories