Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
Right this is strange as hell. My macbook has been running pretty slowly recently but only at log in. Its been taking ages to load my name at the top of if you try anything before is loaded my user profile i guess it just crashed. Also every now and again the wallpaper doesnt load up.

Anyway to fix this is booted into safe-mode, verified the disk and repaired the permission.
My work insists i use McAfee enterprise edition for mac if connecting their servers so i am also protected from viruses and mal-ware.

Its just got worse. And stranger still Safari still loads but thats all. Any other program will bounce a few times and then do nothing. Even mail, pages, dreamweaver, terminal, settings - EVERYTHING.
Safari is the only working program i have found that actually still loads. The internet connection works find and everything else. McAfee is sitting in my status bar so i am guessing that has also loaded properly.

what have i done?

please please help!!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
OnyX won't load. I don't understand why Safari will but nothing else will. I'm thinking a reinstall is my only option now.

Do you have a back up? If you do, perform a clean install (erase HD before installing) but if you don't, do a "repair" install of OS X (just click install and your files will stay the same)

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
Do you have a back up? ... if you don't, do a "repair" install of OS X (just click install and your files will stay the same)

I would phrase this slightly differently, if you don't have a backup, make a good backup BEFORE you do the repair install.... just in case. In fact, make a backup now, I guess there's a remote chance you have hard disk problems.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I would phrase this slightly differently, if you don't have a backup, make a good backup BEFORE you do the repair install.... just in case. In fact, make a backup now, I guess there's a remote chance you have hard disk problems.

Oh, good point, thanks! Forgot to tell that. Backup is always needed

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I think I would try booting from the OS X disc and running Disk Repair. I think I would try disabling McAfee. Reinstalling the OS should be a last resort.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
That's the behavior of mine when the HDD failed. It's slow at start because it's indexing a drive it can't read. Try desperately to make a backup of critical files then a Time Machine backup for rendundancy.

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
I use time machine so all up to date on back up front.
Just safe booted again to see if onyx would load and it did. Ran it completely and its all okay now. No idea why it wasn't doing anything before. Onyx in safe boot seems to have fixed this problem for the time being.

I am thinking of replacing the hard drive soon anyway so if it is hardware starting to break down it will be replaced with 500GB soon.

thanks for the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.