Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimothyDalton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Hey guys,

This is my first post here at MacRumors.com and I'm quite happy to be here posting as it's a good sign for myself and Apple. I am a Windows user for 15 years and Apple really has come so far in recent years that it is maybe time for change.

There are a few problems and I'd like if you have the time to give your opinion:

In recent months and especially during the time of the latest MacBook Pro I was pretty impressed and tempted to buy a MBP 17" to upgrade my 2007 Sony 15" Core2Duo Vaio. The time has come for an upgrade in April 2010 as I simply cannot wait any longer, I have become to involved in following stories here at MacRumors and even looking at Sony's offerings.

There are so many opinions I have read on these forums and the main point I see all the time from a lot of Mac fanboys is "No OSX no deal" and these Sony systems are serious offerings for the retail price. I have become irritated with the fact that Apple is not releasing a new MBP and is still charging a premium for 2007 tech.

So do I wait till probably June by now for a new MBP or do I buy a Sony Vaio F which in terms of specifications more than pleases me, and with Windows 7 Professional it is on par with OSX. From going into Apple stores as an iPhone only Apple consumer and being impressed with the innovation in the device and the overall iPhone OS experience it reflects well on what its big brother OSX Snow Leopard can do.

Here is one or two other things to take in mind:
I have no Mac OSX experience.
I am a gamer, I browse the net, I do all of your general purpose tasks just fine on Windows.
I like to encode and edit videos in programs like Sony Vegas. I use Autodesk Maya/3DS Max. Photoshop CS4 and also do some flash/ and web design.

That is just a brief overview but I also need processing power and thats where the i7 is very handy, 8 cores is very approriate to the type of work I will need my laptop to do. Now that the tech is available I would like to take advantage of it to multitask some of my preferred programs.

For instance with the i7 I could use Chrome, do some photoshop, while encoding a video I have editted for YouTube 1080p, and then design a website etc. These tasks are not great while on a Core2 such as the current MBP so please don't say just go get a MBP and sell it later. No point.

I also would not be happy with the new MBP unless it includes a decent graphics card for a change, USB 3, 802.11n, blu-ray and some other things.

Cheers.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
If you want to game on a laptop, your better off with Windows.

I'm a gamer as well but I use my windows desktop for those purposes.

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
I'm in similar position but currently using MBP. Im fed up with waiting for Apple to release the new one, thinking of going back to Windows. I ask have you considered the Dell Studio XPS. I was looking this morning and seems to be better value than both teh Mac and Vaio F series

GeorgeCWB

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
Don't bother waiting for the MBP then, because I can absolutely guarantee that the updated MBPs wont have USB3 or blu-ray.

Solved.:)

no offense, but you can't 'absolutely guarantee' anything.

Not wanting to start an argument or anything but yeah, you're not steve jobs...

...or are you!

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
The Vaio F is a huge laptop. I still have second thoughts every now and then and wonder if I should've waited for the Vaio Z instead! Hehe.

At least you've had Sony products and know what to expect. Then, the tables are different! If you want to wait until June, then all bets are off. Sony will probably have a new F series by then, and the MacBook Pros will be updated by then I'm sure.

Thing is, you're comparing an F series to what I imagine is a 15" MacBook Pro. They compete in price, but the 17" MacBook Pro is a better machine to compare to, and costs a lot more.

15" MacBook Pro: $1600 to 2000
17" MacBook Pro: $2100+
Sony F series: $900+ ($1350 for the BD+1080p models)
Sony Z series: $1700+

You may want to look at the XPS 1645/1647. The one thing I like about the F series is they run really cool, and are really cheap for what you get.

matthemercyless

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Hull, UK
no offense, but you can't 'absolutely guarantee' anything.

Not wanting to start an argument or anything but yeah, you're not steve jobs...

...or are you!

No offense taken mate. Perhaps shouldve said that I would put good money on bluray and usb3 not making an appearance in the next revision. Look at the long wish lists that people create for every revision. Everyone builds it up then is disappointed when the latest revision doesn't run on unicorn tears, which is rediculous because everyone knows unicorns can't cry!

Waldszenen

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
Sydney
In your position I'd go with the Vaio Z. It's a technically superior notebook in every single way - with the only flaw being that it's stuck to Windows (a flaw for me, at least).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.