Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:07 PM   #1
zub3qin
macrumors 65816

Will Bluetooth keyboard eliminate the touchscreen one so you have more screen space?

I was thinking that a bluetooth keyboard with iPad in vertical (portrait mode) running Pages or some other word processor would be a very good thing.

But a lot of the advantage of the bluetooth keyboard is in the fact that you get a full screen of text (no pop-up virtual keyboard hogging up 30% of the screen real-estate).

BUT- I don't think that the iPad virtual keyboard is going to disappear even if you are connected with a bluetooth keyboard!

Anyone think Apple was smart enough to disable all pop-up keyboards when BT is connected?

Last edited by zub3qin; Mar 28, 2010 at 07:17 PM.
zub3qin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Hard-Hat-Mac
macrumors regular

Hmm this is a great point. I hope they don't leave it on screen, and see all the keys being pressed. I would think that Apple, being UI experts would somehow know this... I guess only time will tell.
13'' 2.7GHz i7 MacBook Air 256GB SSD 8GB
Hard-Hat-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:18 PM   #3
brooks.curly
macrumors member

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a little button on the virtual keyboard with a picture of a keyboard and an up arrow, possibly indicating that one could bring the keyboard up/hide it. In which case, you could just hide it as you use your BT keyboard, or use it if you need to take a break or something.

EDIT:

Here is a picture. The bottom-right button is the one I am talking about. I'm pretty sure that's what it does.

Last edited by brooks.curly; Mar 28, 2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Found picture
brooks.curly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:24 PM   #4
zub3qin
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks.curly View Post
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a little button on the virtual keyboard with a picture of a keyboard and an up arrow, possibly indicating that one could bring the keyboard up/hide it. In which case, you could just hide it as you use your BT keyboard, or use it if you need to take a break or something.

EDIT:

Here is a picture. The bottom-right button is the one I am talking about. I'm pretty sure that's what it does.

Except in the keynote, Phil Schiller showed how to type in Pages. He said just touch the document wherever you want the cursor to appear and up pops the keyboard.

I think you have to touch the screen to tell it where to start typing, so a keyboard will probably pop up. But, I HOPE you can hide the keyboard and keep typing with the BT one, by hitting the button you pointed out...

It is things like this that may not be known to the developers of the apps, since they are stuck making the apps on a virtual ipad.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:26 PM   #5
ckorhonen
macrumors member

When you are using an external keyboard there is no on-screen keyboard.
ckorhonen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:35 PM   #6
zub3qin
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckorhonen View Post
When you are using an external keyboard there is no on-screen keyboard.
How do you know this?
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:43 PM   #7
ckorhonen
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zub3qin View Post
How do you know this?
It was in one of the write ups detailing the iPad SDK - there is a hardware keyboard option. When enabled the on screen keyboard does not appear.
ckorhonen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:46 PM   #8
zub3qin
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckorhonen View Post
It was in one of the write ups detailing the iPad SDK - there is a hardware keyboard option. When enabled the on screen keyboard does not appear.
THAT IS GREAT!!!!
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:50 PM   #9
4DThinker
macrumors 68020

Now if they could only eliminate the need to be touching the screen when you are plugged into a keyboard.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:55 PM   #10
zub3qin
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
Now if they could only eliminate the need to be touching the screen when you are plugged into a keyboard.
And add a pointing device that you can use with your hand, moving it around on a table.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 08:07 PM   #11
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Quote:
And add a pointing device that you can use with your hand, moving it around on a table.
That is a brilliant idea! Why didn't Apple think of that?
Old Mar 28, 2010, 08:12 PM   #12
sammich
macrumors 601

Quote:
I'm sure adding a cursor into the UI isn't a problem, Apple just won't do it, it'll be taking a step back and confuse the masses who adopted multitouch.

What would be great is camera eye tracking so you just look at where you want to start typing.

Oh wait....guess that'll be the great new feature in the next iPad
Old Apr 7, 2010, 01:44 PM   #13
G5isAlive
macrumors 6502

Be careful what you ask for...

Quote:
And that's the problem with disabling the onscreen keyboard because you have a bluetooth keyboard. Your hands will leave the physical keyboard. And tap the screen and often text input is required... I would prefer to do it on-screen then...its not hard to hide as is... A hardwire keyboard wants a mouse.. If you can't easily switch between virtual and real...
Old Apr 7, 2010, 02:26 PM   #14
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
So many posts but not one truly addresses the OP's question.

Go to my YouTube channel (link in signature) and find the bluetooth keyboard demo video. The on-screen virtual keyboard hides when you have a bluetooth keyboard connected. If you press the eject key (upper right hand corner) the on-screen virtual keyboard returns. I got that little eject key tip from the ipad tips and tricks thread.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories