Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

partylikearock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying a iMac and a mac book/ macbook pro? Not buying at the same time btw.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
MRoogle can tell you this, or even Apple.com.

There is really too much to list, so why don't you tell us your needs, instead of us beating around the bush.

What it comes down to, do you want to change the Operating System you use?

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
If you're open-minded, there's all the advantage in the world. If not, frankly, you're going to struggle. How open-minded are you in switching? You should study up, as the prior poster stated.

Quick answers:

Advantages: more efficiency (if you're open-minded), less bloat, less being tied to MS, less of being affected by viruses and malware.

Disadvantages: less efficiency (if you're closed minded), frustration if you're not willing to learn a new OS and new tools.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying a iMac and a mac book/ macbook pro? Not buying at the same time btw.

All depends on where you're coming from, and where you want to go. Don't know anything about you, so I really can't say.

Windows? Yeah, I've used it, since before Windows 3.11... still have to, professionally. But my personal preference is OS X on a Mac. Now, if you want to hear *my* reasons, I could go on ad nauseum.

But, I think you've already made your mind up, and just need that one little push. Well, here it is: Do it.

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
All depends on where you're coming from, and where you want to go. Don't know anything about you, so I really can't say.

OP,

There it is. What are you looking to do? What do you have in mind with using Macs that you can't already do with your current systems? You're going to need to elaborate to get some answers from us, but really, you can ask and answer yourself what you're looking to do with Macs and if Mac are going to give you what you want.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
One big disadvantage for me is that I love the Apple keyboard, I can type fast and without looking, but when I use a normal keyboard with big keys, I have to touch type using two fingers, as I just can't use a normal keyboard anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.