Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:17 PM   #1
partylikearock
macrumors newbie

Advantages and Disadvantages of Buying a Mac

What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying a iMac and a mac book/ macbook pro? Not buying at the same time btw.
partylikearock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:21 PM   #2
spinnerlys

MRoogle can tell you this, or even Apple.com.

There is really too much to list, so why don't you tell us your needs, instead of us beating around the bush.

What it comes down to, do you want to change the Operating System you use?
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:31 PM   #3
unixfool
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to unixfool Send a message via Yahoo to unixfool
If you're open-minded, there's all the advantage in the world. If not, frankly, you're going to struggle. How open-minded are you in switching? You should study up, as the prior poster stated.

Quick answers:

Advantages: more efficiency (if you're open-minded), less bloat, less being tied to MS, less of being affected by viruses and malware.

Disadvantages: less efficiency (if you're closed minded), frustration if you're not willing to learn a new OS and new tools.

Last edited by unixfool; Mar 28, 2010 at 09:37 PM.
unixfool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:38 PM   #4
gilkisson
macrumors 65816

Location: Myrtle Beach, Horry County (do not pronounce the "H"), South Cacalaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by partylikearock View Post
What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying a iMac and a mac book/ macbook pro? Not buying at the same time btw.
All depends on where you're coming from, and where you want to go. Don't know anything about you, so I really can't say.

Windows? Yeah, I've used it, since before Windows 3.11... still have to, professionally. But my personal preference is OS X on a Mac. Now, if you want to hear *my* reasons, I could go on ad nauseum.

But, I think you've already made your mind up, and just need that one little push. Well, here it is: Do it.
gilkisson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:42 PM   #5
unixfool
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to unixfool Send a message via Yahoo to unixfool
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilkisson View Post
All depends on where you're coming from, and where you want to go. Don't know anything about you, so I really can't say.
OP,

There it is. What are you looking to do? What do you have in mind with using Macs that you can't already do with your current systems? You're going to need to elaborate to get some answers from us, but really, you can ask and answer yourself what you're looking to do with Macs and if Mac are going to give you what you want.
unixfool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:55 PM   #6
Sambo110
macrumors 68000

One big disadvantage for me is that I love the Apple keyboard, I can type fast and without looking, but when I use a normal keyboard with big keys, I have to touch type using two fingers, as I just can't use a normal keyboard anymore.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac