Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 11, 2004, 03:18 PM   #1
rogik
macrumors newbie

Strange sounds on my Powerbook

Recently I noticed that there is a constant sound from my Powerbook 15' 1.33, it sounds like it is HD working, but when I give my PB some workload, I can hear actual HD sound which is a bit louder than that sound.
What is strange about this sound - it is not the same all the time... It reminds the work of HD, though it must not be HD. What I'm afraid about is either failure or incorrect work of the cooler or HD. In both cases it may fail. I've tried to listen to other laptops (IBM & Toshiba), their coolers of HDs do not have such sounds. Does anyone else have a non constant very low volume sound background on his PB?
rogik is offline   0
Old Sep 11, 2004, 04:08 PM   #2
JzzTrump22
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to JzzTrump22
Mine only makes those sounds when i'm downloading stuff. The second sound your hearing might be the fan. Because it is a much deeper sound then the hard drive.
JzzTrump22 is offline   0
Old Sep 12, 2004, 02:11 AM   #3
rogik
macrumors newbie

Any idea if it is dangerous or how can i get rid of it?
rogik is offline   0
Old Sep 16, 2004, 07:14 PM   #4
rogik
macrumors newbie

I've been to the apple store today... They do not know what is that either... Said that it will take about a month for my PB to get repaired/replaced... Maybe this sound is not dangerous?
rogik is offline   0
Old Sep 16, 2004, 07:22 PM   #5
Manzana
macrumors 6502a

mine sounds like purring. i first heard it when compressing a dvd folder to mpeg. i thought it was normal and due to fans spinning faster.
Manzana is offline   0
Old Sep 17, 2004, 06:07 AM   #6
Quobobo
macrumors member

Do you have your processor speed set to highest? I have the same machine, and if I set it to highest, it makes strange beeping sounds. There's a bunch of other people with the same problem on the Apple discussion boards as well.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers