Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Future Man

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I guess we can count out Macboudilles "inside info" on the new Pmacs coming out today. Damn!:mad: BTW if by a long shot, the new towers do have firewire 2 that will be backwards compatible right? and how many bits in a byte? what is the MB count on an 800 mega-bit transfer rate? is it 80?:confused:

davei

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2002
There are 8 bits in a byte, so 800 megabits is approximately 100 megabytes.

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Well...It's 10:35 here now and still no new pmacs. Ah...I was hoping, but it looks like the next rumored date is Aug. 13th now...I would also watch for tomorrow too...

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: Its the 5th, past 9:00 Cupertino time, and no new Pmacs

Originally posted by Future Man
I guess we can count out Macboudilles "inside info" on the new Pmacs coming out today. Damn!:mad: BTW if by a long shot, the new towers do have firewire 2 that will be backwards compatible right? and how many bits in a byte? what is the MB count on an 800 mega-bit transfer rate? is it 80?:confused:

Nobody that I've talked to knows whether the new PowerMacs have FireWire2 or not. It exists, but it's unclear when it will be included.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
I think if they release new PowerMacs with a new design they'll call a press conference. I think there would be a day or two notice, but I'm not sure how that works. I don't expect anything until Jaguar or maybe the 13th/14th.

whiskeybravo

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
Pennsylvania
I'm on the fence between a high end iMac 17" and waiting for a new PM. The existing mid range PM just doesn't seem to offer much valueover the high end iMac other than expandability. Presumably new powermacs will have approximately the same price structure as the current ones. Here's my question, assuming an incremental processor speed jump and the other rumored goodies (ie faster system bus, DDR Ram or similar) what % faster do you think the new PM's will be than the existing range for "average" use?

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by whiskeybravo
I'm on the fence between a high end iMac 17" and waiting for a new PM.
If they do release a new PMac with some or all the features seen scattered around the web, it should be damn fast. However, it all depends what you want to do with the computer. If you're doing video or music production, I'd get a pro model. If your into gaming then it depends how "into" gaming you are. If it's between the low end Pmac and 17" iMac I'd probably go with the iMac. I think the 17" iMac is a good deal.

whiskeybravo

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by pgwalsh

If you're doing video or music production, I'd get a pro model...I think the 17" iMac is a good deal.

Define "Production". I would like to be able to do some editing of home video's and make DVD's without waiting for the earth to revolve. And of course, music CD burning, but not music production. That is about as high end as I will probably ever get.

I also think the iMac is a good deal. I visited Dell and configured a 4500S to match (roughly). Price $2054

Frank

Future Man

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I'm on the fence between a high end iMac 17" and waiting for a new PM. The existing mid range PM just doesn't seem to offer much valueover the high end iMac other than expandability.

It just depends on what you want to do with the comp. If you are going to edit video you do not want a new imac for the reason you stated above; lack of expandability. However, if the new Pmacs rumored specs (DDR RAM, faster Bus) then the speed difference will be significant, and worth the extra clams for the new Pmac, even just for games and basic apps. IMHO, of course.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Define "Production".
Well I think you can get away with doing home movies and DVD's on an iMac. I get away with it on an old BW G3 400 using Premier. Almost all camcorders have 1394 connects today and so does the iMac. If you were doing semi-pro to professional video and wanted to use lot's of effects etc then I'd go with a pro model mac. Some professionals get special video cards. These ten to run a few grand.

With audio, the faster the better (IMO). I run 10 channells of audio into my mac with a Delta 1010. I need a pci slot for the 1010, but Motu has an 8 channel firewire audio interface, so you're covered. However, if you don't want to go MOTU -which is expensive- then you'll need a pci card for most other manufactures. Edirol has some USB audio interfaces, but I think their stuff is budget.

For ripping MP3's or burning home video onto DVD you're safe with the iMac. If you're going to be turning your home into a "for profit" production studio then you may want to consider the pMac.

On another note: I was talking to two friends of mine - both pc users - they had no idea that the imac was all in one. They thought it was just a flat screen with a cool stand. ha! Apple should make it clear. My friends both want one now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.