Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 29, 2010, 02:03 PM   #1
brock2621
macrumors 6502a

Installing fonts on ipad? Or stuck with default?

I was curious, after watching the guided tour, it shows changing fonts, and was wondering if anybody had asked the hands on tour guides after the presentation on the capability?
brock2621 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 02:06 PM   #2
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2621 View Post
I was curious, after watching the guided tour, it shows changing fonts, and was wondering if anybody had asked the hands on tour guides after the presentation on the capability?
see my ponderable post. I raised the same question
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 02:06 PM   #3
sfwalter
macrumors 6502a

The iPhone doesn't have a way to install fonts (unless you jail break it). So I will assume the same for iPad.
sfwalter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 02:08 PM   #4
brock2621
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
see my ponderable post. I raised the same question
My bad... mods could you combine?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 02:09 PM   #5
wingnut8
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalter
The iPhone doesn't have a way to install fonts (unless you jail break it). So I will assume the same for iPad.
The iPhone also doesn't have iWork.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 02:09 PM   #6
Brammy
macrumors 6502

This is something I'm very curious about, too. With the iPhone, it wasn't a big deal. But, with the iPad being billed as a content creation device, we'll need fonts.

A lot of my presentations use non-standard fonts.
Brammy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 02:12 PM   #7
brock2621
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brammy View Post
This is something I'm very curious about, too. With the iPhone, it wasn't a big deal. But, with the iPad being billed as a content creation device, we'll need fonts.

A lot of my presentations use non-standard fonts.
EXACTLY; i will definitely use iwork and will need something other than time new roman and papyrus ;p
Old Mar 29, 2010, 02:13 PM   #8
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
EXACTLY; i will definitely use iwork and will need something other than time new roman and papyrus ;p
EPIC FAIL - you don't need anything Jobs or Apple says you don't need
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 02:17 PM   #9
brock2621
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
EPIC FAIL - you don't need anything Jobs or Apple says you don't need
OH I REPENT!! How i could have been so blasphemous!!??!?! Please spare my life Lord Jobs! haha
Old Mar 29, 2010, 02:28 PM   #10
Maximillian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
papyrus
If it's good enough for the Avatar subtitles, it's good enough for you.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 03:46 PM   #11
CVC
macrumors member

Just watched a few of the iPad videos. I noticed in iBooks there were only a few fonts available, while in Pages there was much more. Don't know if that means that you will only be able to install fonts in individual programs and not system wide. Or maybe they just installed more fonts between filming the iBooks and Pages videos.
CVC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 04:57 PM   #12
brock2621
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVC View Post
Just watched a few of the iPad videos. I noticed in iBooks there were only a few fonts available, while in Pages there was much more. Don't know if that means that you will only be able to install fonts in individual programs and not system wide. Or maybe they just installed more fonts between filming the iBooks and Pages videos.
Yeah, i could completely understand if ibooks is locked but if i were making a presentation on my desktop in Helvetica, and then transferred it to my ipad to work on at the cafe, would it be supported, or just be changed to some type of default font?

I really hope they allow font installation but in the back of my mind, i know apple has it's death grip on everything else inside that ipad, there isn't much of a reason they would make an exception here.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 07:57 PM   #13
EssentialParado
macrumors 65816

I assume Apple has to build the functionality in somehow. Even if it means buying fonts off a 'font store' on iTunes.

Which isn't all that bad of an idea actually…
EssentialParado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 05:56 PM   #14
mklnk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yeah, i could completely understand if ibooks is locked but if i were making a presentation on my desktop in Helvetica, and then transferred it to my ipad to work on at the cafe, would it be supported, or just be changed to some type of default font?

I really hope they allow font installation but in the back of my mind, i know apple has it's death grip on everything else inside that ipad, there isn't much of a reason they would make an exception here.
Surprisingly, the iPad ships with Helvetica!
mklnk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 06:46 PM   #15
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
If it's good enough for the Avatar subtitles, it's good enough for you.
I had just noticed that, too!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 04:28 PM   #16
jluke
macrumors newbie

Angry calibri font... hardly needed!!

Well, i've just bought both Keynotes and the newest ipad-compliant Docs2Go Premium: this to "try" using the iPad to to some of my daily job, full of slides and presentations (consulting life... ;-).

Problems:
(1) Keynotes does a terrible job in importing my rather complex pptx (2-5MB, with lots of graphics, but not animations), and often freezes the tablet.
(2) D2GP is more compatible, does not freeze, but terribly lacks the absence of currently very common fonts, such as Calibri (all of my company presentations).
Without the Calibri font all my presentations are not usable, very bad and often unreadable.

Hasn't anyone found a way to install any font?
Many thanks in advance!
jluke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 05:51 PM   #17
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke View Post
Well, i've just bought both Keynotes and the newest ipad-compliant Docs2Go Premium: this to "try" using the iPad to to some of my daily job, full of slides and presentations (consulting life... ;-).

Problems:
(1) Keynotes does a terrible job in importing my rather complex pptx (2-5MB, with lots of graphics, but not animations), and often freezes the tablet.
(2) D2GP is more compatible, does not freeze, but terribly lacks the absence of currently very common fonts, such as Calibri (all of my company presentations).
Without the Calibri font all my presentations are not usable, very bad and often unreadable.

Hasn't anyone found a way to install any font?
Many thanks in advance!
At this point, it can't be done unless the individual app includes it.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 04:46 AM   #18
schimanke
macrumors member

For everybody who is sick and tired of not being able to use custom fonts in their documents on their iOS devices I might have a solution.

I ran into similar problems and took this as my motivation to develop "AnyFont". With this little app you are able to install all the fonts you need for your presentations on your iPhone or iPad. So when your are using Calibri in your presentation and get the error message after importing it on your iPad you can use AnyFont to install Calibri on your device which makes the error message go away and lets you use Calibri in your presentation.

Let me know how you like it!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/anyf...821560738?mt=8
schimanke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 07:51 AM   #19
csixty4
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by schimanke View Post
I ran into similar problems and took this as my motivation to develop "AnyFont". With this little app you are able to install all the fonts you need for your presentations on your iPhone or iPad.
I bought it the other day, and it's a pretty cool work-around for Apple's restrictions. Doesn't work everywhere of course, but it's enough to get some new fonts into Pages for work documents.
csixty4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad