Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
I was curious, after watching the guided tour, it shows changing fonts, and was wondering if anybody had asked the hands on tour guides after the presentation on the capability?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I was curious, after watching the guided tour, it shows changing fonts, and was wondering if anybody had asked the hands on tour guides after the presentation on the capability?

see my ponderable post. I raised the same question

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

sfwalter said:
The iPhone doesn't have a way to install fonts (unless you jail break it). So I will assume the same for iPad.

The iPhone also doesn't have iWork.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
This is something I'm very curious about, too. With the iPhone, it wasn't a big deal. But, with the iPad being billed as a content creation device, we'll need fonts.

A lot of my presentations use non-standard fonts.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
This is something I'm very curious about, too. With the iPhone, it wasn't a big deal. But, with the iPad being billed as a content creation device, we'll need fonts.

A lot of my presentations use non-standard fonts.

EXACTLY; i will definitely use iwork and will need something other than time new roman and papyrus ;p

CVC

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2005
Southern California
Just watched a few of the iPad videos. I noticed in iBooks there were only a few fonts available, while in Pages there was much more. Don't know if that means that you will only be able to install fonts in individual programs and not system wide. Or maybe they just installed more fonts between filming the iBooks and Pages videos.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Just watched a few of the iPad videos. I noticed in iBooks there were only a few fonts available, while in Pages there was much more. Don't know if that means that you will only be able to install fonts in individual programs and not system wide. Or maybe they just installed more fonts between filming the iBooks and Pages videos.

Yeah, i could completely understand if ibooks is locked but if i were making a presentation on my desktop in Helvetica, and then transferred it to my ipad to work on at the cafe, would it be supported, or just be changed to some type of default font?

I really hope they allow font installation but in the back of my mind, i know apple has it's death grip on everything else inside that ipad, there isn't much of a reason they would make an exception here.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
I assume Apple has to build the functionality in somehow. Even if it means buying fonts off a 'font store' on iTunes.

Which isn't all that bad of an idea actually…

mklnk

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
Yeah, i could completely understand if ibooks is locked but if i were making a presentation on my desktop in Helvetica, and then transferred it to my ipad to work on at the cafe, would it be supported, or just be changed to some type of default font?

I really hope they allow font installation but in the back of my mind, i know apple has it's death grip on everything else inside that ipad, there isn't much of a reason they would make an exception here.

Surprisingly, the iPad ships with Helvetica!

jluke

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
calibri font... hardly needed!!

Well, i've just bought both Keynotes and the newest ipad-compliant Docs2Go Premium: this to "try" using the iPad to to some of my daily job, full of slides and presentations (consulting life... ;-).

Problems:
(1) Keynotes does a terrible job in importing my rather complex pptx (2-5MB, with lots of graphics, but not animations), and often freezes the tablet.
(2) D2GP is more compatible, does not freeze, but terribly lacks the absence of currently very common fonts, such as Calibri (all of my company presentations).
Without the Calibri font all my presentations are not usable, very bad and often unreadable. :mad:

Hasn't anyone found a way to install any font?
Many thanks in advance!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Well, i've just bought both Keynotes and the newest ipad-compliant Docs2Go Premium: this to "try" using the iPad to to some of my daily job, full of slides and presentations (consulting life... ;-).

Problems:
(1) Keynotes does a terrible job in importing my rather complex pptx (2-5MB, with lots of graphics, but not animations), and often freezes the tablet.
(2) D2GP is more compatible, does not freeze, but terribly lacks the absence of currently very common fonts, such as Calibri (all of my company presentations).
Without the Calibri font all my presentations are not usable, very bad and often unreadable. :mad:

Hasn't anyone found a way to install any font?
Many thanks in advance!
At this point, it can't be done unless the individual app includes it.

schimanke

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
For everybody who is sick and tired of not being able to use custom fonts in their documents on their iOS devices I might have a solution.

I ran into similar problems and took this as my motivation to develop "AnyFont". With this little app you are able to install all the fonts you need for your presentations on your iPhone or iPad. So when your are using Calibri in your presentation and get the error message after importing it on your iPad you can use AnyFont to install Calibri on your device which makes the error message go away and lets you use Calibri in your presentation.

Let me know how you like it!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/anyfont/id821560738?mt=8

csixty4

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Somerville, MA
I ran into similar problems and took this as my motivation to develop "AnyFont". With this little app you are able to install all the fonts you need for your presentations on your iPhone or iPad.

I bought it the other day, and it's a pretty cool work-around for Apple's restrictions. Doesn't work everywhere of course, but it's enough to get some new fonts into Pages for work documents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.