Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 29, 2010, 04:56 PM   #1
metalhead777
macrumors regular

iTunes Error Application (-50)

Hey guys,
It's been about a month, nearing two, and I have not found one SINGLE fix for this! It ran fine for about 2-3 months before it stopped working and posted this message: The iTunes application could not be opened. An unknown error occured. (-50). What does this mean?! I tried doing this on my laptop as well, but poof. After adding Led Zeppelin, same error popped up. Is this Apple's way of saying "***** Windows, get a Mac." or is it my own fault? Oh, I keep my music on an external 500gb hard drive if that matters. Yes, I've tried every single fix out there. iTunes.bat doesn't work, editing registry keys doesn't work, uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't work! I feel as though Apple is pressuring me into buying a Mac. Can anyone help me, please?!
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:04 AM   #2
metalhead777
macrumors regular

I guess no one wants to help me with this problem...
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:23 PM   #3
Winter Charm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead777 View Post
Hey guys,
It's been about a month, nearing two, and I have not found one SINGLE fix for this! It ran fine for about 2-3 months before it stopped working and posted this message: The iTunes application could not be opened. An unknown error occured. (-50). What does this mean?! I tried doing this on my laptop as well, but poof. After adding Led Zeppelin, same error popped up. Is this Apple's way of saying "***** Windows, get a Mac." or is it my own fault? Oh, I keep my music on an external 500gb hard drive if that matters. Yes, I've tried every single fix out there. iTunes.bat doesn't work, editing registry keys doesn't work, uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't work! I feel as though Apple is pressuring me into buying a Mac. Can anyone help me, please?!
I had some really messy issues with iTunes and CD burning... and that eventually led me to switch to mac, where everything works perfectly. In my case, it ended up being a bad driver and caused permanent damage to my cd drive on my crappy windows machine.

The wierd error you're getting could be anything

As for your problem, have you tried updating iTunes to the latest version (try running apple software update). I read around on the internet and did some digging of my own, and here's an apple support discussion:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1753817
But that's about all i could find.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:59 PM   #4
metalhead777
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinjin201 View Post
I had some really messy issues with iTunes and CD burning... and that eventually led me to switch to mac, where everything works perfectly. In my case, it ended up being a bad driver and caused permanent damage to my cd drive on my crappy windows machine.

The wierd error you're getting could be anything

As for your problem, have you tried updating iTunes to the latest version (try running apple software update). I read around on the internet and did some digging of my own, and here's an apple support discussion:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1753817
But that's about all i could find.
Yes, it was 9.0.3 iTunes with iPod Touch 3g 64gb on 3.1.3 firmware. Great, I knew this would be the case. I can't persuade my parents into buying a Mac for me because we just got a new HP laptop, so I'm SOL now. The only thing I could use it for is iPod updates... So basically Steve Jobs is trying to convert us, Winblows users, to Mac. Does it make a difference if both the machines were on Windows XP Service Pack 3 though? I hope that can be a solution to this damned problem. Thanks for your help though...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store