Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Daringfireball's John Gruber sarcastically links out to today's Wall Street Journal rumor about the coming Verizon iPhone. Gruber points out the lack of details in the article, but then goes on to coyly list features that he seems to know are coming in the next iPhone. The features include:

- A4-family CPU system-on-a-chip
- 960x640 double-resolution display
- second front facing camera
- 3rd party multitasking in iPhone 4

The front camera and multitasking have both been suggested before. There has been overwhelming evidence that Apple has been working on video chat for the iPhone OS. Meanwhile, multitasking was believed to have been originally planned for iPhone 3.x but later scrapped. The double-resolution display is completely new information, though would make sense given the increasingly high resolution screens of the competition.

Article Link: Next iPhone: Double Resolution Display, Front Camera, Multi-Tasking?

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
It would be awesome to see all those features, but Gruber doesn't say any rumors about them being there. He just makes fun of the guy for coming up with a rumor that the iPhone is coming to Verizon. A rumor that's been around for years.

izibo

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2004
I took his post to mock the lack of actual information in the article, not that he actually had information about upcoming features.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It would be awesome to see all those features, but Gruber doesn't say any rumors about them being there. He just makes fun of the guy for coming up with a rumor that the iPhone is coming to Verizon. A rumor that's been around for years.

I took his post to mock the lack of actual information in the article, not that he actually had information about upcoming features.

you have to read between the lines. Gruber likes to publish information like this.

arn

SurfSpirit

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2006
Nokia copy :p

Ya, Nokia 5800 is already 2 years old and way better than Iphone, hope Apple brings better than this...

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
In time for June release and I'll be happy.

My 1.5 year contract with O2 runs out in June, and I'd like to renew and get the new iPhone.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Please Apple do NOT use the A4 chip. We want multiple Cortex A9. Originally I too though A4 was A9 but latest information states it isn't.

given the plethora of innovative applications available and sprouted on Mac OS X its not worth limiting future potential.

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
I'd love to have Skype use that front facing camera, but, I should give my hopes up on that. We still can't use Skype VOiP over 3G let alone a video chat over 3G....
I'm really hoping for a lot better camera on the back. Would love some 720p video recording too and multiple zooms (both still and video), something that rivals the HTC EVO.

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
you have to read between the lines. Gruber likes to publish information like this.

I'm not aware of Gruber ever having inside information. I believe he has no sources at apple who feed him stuff. He may have friends there who tell him things like how the rank and file Apple employees feel about Google, but he doesn't have anyone at Apple who feeds him specs for upcoming products.

He is, like most rumor mongers just giving informed speculation. IF he happens to be right, then it is luck or smart speculating.

This is so prevelant in mac rumors that I'm tempted to start a speculation site-- just so that I can get the words down first, and then track how they propagate thru the web as people report them as "rumors" they got from an "inside source".

Gruber enjoys pretending like he has "sources", but he doesn't. He's just a douchebag seeking attention.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Multitasking would be very welcome to iPhone users, and would also help Apple in the "feature battle" against its smart phone competitors.

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
Originally I too though A4 was A9 but latest information states it isn't.

How does speculation from some random person online who isn't honest enough to admit he has no inside information considered factual enough for you to have an opinion on whether Apple should use the A4?

Clearly the A4 is far more powerful than the CPU in the GS -- this is obvious looking at videos of the products-- thus if they put an A4 in the next iPhone it would be a huge improvement.

Yet you want a Cortex-A9, which you (wrongly because you don't actually know) presume is not in the iPad. But you have no real reason. To you, a Cortex-A9 is just something people snidely said that apple should be using but isn't.... people who, in my experience, haven't the first clue.

I happen to have some inside information (available to all iPhone developers) that I won't reveal but that is consistent with the A4 having a Cortex-A9, not that it actually matters at all.

The A4 is not an off the shelf ARM CPU, it is a custom design.

Demanding that apple forgoe the advantages of a custom design and use an off the shelf CPU is shortsited and silly.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Doubling the resolution would be quite a change, but that's still just a bit smaller than the iPad, so I can believe it.

That’s also higher res than the Droid. And I really like the sharpness of my friend’s Droid at 480x854. (Too bad it only looks good in the dark though! Not good in sunlight.)

An iPad-style, sunlight-friendly IPS LCD, plus super high-res, would look awesome.

And current apps could pixel-double and look no worse than they do today (which is excellent to begin with). Parts of the screen (text, OpenGL 3D) could take advantage of the new res without reprogramming, I would expect.

muskratboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
just in case this comes true...

just so everyone knows, i've been claiming the "double resolution display" for months now. :p

it makes sense to me... all other phones have way higher resolution, and this lets all current apps work as is. easy... on that small screen, you wouldn't even really notice that much.

so... if the double rez comes true... CALLED IT! :D

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
Well I hope the new phone has some of the added features we have been waiting for, because judging by the new supposed leaked frame, the bezel on the lengths of the phone (speaker to power button) are elongated. I'm hoping that's cause they had extra stuff to throw in under the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.