Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:36 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Releases Bonjour Print Services for Windows

Apple today released Bonjour Print Services for Windows, offering tools for Apple's automatic service discovery protocol for Windows machines running XP Service Pack 2 or later looking to connect to networked printers or shared printers connected to computers via USB.
Quote:
Bonjour Print Services for Windows lets you discover and configure Bonjour-enabled printers from your Windows computer using the Bonjour Printer Wizard.

Use Windows Update to make sure you have the latest Service Pack installed for your computer.
Apple notes that the update requires Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, but recommends Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista Service Pack 2, or Windows 7. The download weighs in at 5.18 MB.

Article Link: Apple Releases Bonjour Print Services for Windows
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:00 PM   #2
m85476585
macrumors 65816

I installed this, and it sees my Mac printers, but when I try to install one on my PC, it says "you do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect the selected printer."

I tried running it as administrator, but it still doesn't work.

I have a MBP with 10.6.3, a PC with Windows 7 Pro 32 bit, and a Canon ip3500 connected to the MBP that I'm trying to share. I can't get it to work the other way either (printer connected to the PC shared to the Mac).
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:50 PM   #3
macduke
macrumors 68040

So...would this update allow an iPad to connect to a Windows machine hooked up to a printer and print from it?
macduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:07 AM   #4
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by macduke View Post
So...would this update allow an iPad to connect to a Windows machine hooked up to a printer and print from it?
That's my hope. But there's been no mention of any integrated printing solution from iPad. Yet.
GeekLawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:58 AM   #5
wwchris
macrumors member

Awesome!

This works great! I always have problems with my wireless printer IP address changing on network reboots. This fixes that. Be sure to change your default printer as it installs a duplicate bonjour version.

Also, as far as the Ipad goes, I spoke to Apple sales about it and they told me point blank there would be no built-in printing solution. They did direct me to any of the already existing printing apps in the app store. Oh well. I have to admit to being a little shocked at how many things that would affect people's buying decision have still not been revealed. Printing, how does file sharing work, do ibooks work on your iphone and mac etc? I also have to admit to being a little annoyed that some App makers are expecting me to buy the same version of an app I already own just to have it at native resolution.

Still, guess they aren't having a problem selling them, hell, I bought two 64GB 3G's. I'm hating the the 3G's come out later. Killing me to wait, especially when all my accessories are gonna show up at the door this weekend.
wwchris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:15 AM   #6
ChromeAce
macrumors member

This is an UPDATE to an existing product. The headline and story imply it is a new product.
ChromeAce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:31 AM   #7
wwchris
macrumors member

Nope, this is a new product, not the same as the old Bonjour that came with Safari. This is a stand alone app that configures the printer. If you look on the link, you will see that it is version 1.0 .
wwchris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:48 AM   #8
m85476585
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwchris View Post
Nope, this is a new product, not the same as the old Bonjour that came with Safari. This is a stand alone app that configures the printer. If you look on the link, you will see that it is version 1.0 .
This was available before, but I think it was called something else (maybe just Bonjour for Windows).
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:16 PM   #9
Tailpike1153
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by m85476585 View Post
This was available before, but I think it was called something else (maybe just Bonjour for Windows).
I believe you are right. I think was just Bonjour.
Tailpike1153 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:25 PM   #10
LlamaLarry
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to LlamaLarry
Right, I am not sure what is different between this and the previous "Bonjour for Windows" that I use to allow my Windows machines to print to my Mac shared printers.
Old May 21, 2010, 08:31 PM   #11
spencercross
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m85476585 View Post
I installed this, and it sees my Mac printers, but when I try to install one on my PC, it says "you do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect the selected printer."

I tried running it as administrator, but it still doesn't work.

I have a MBP with 10.6.3, a PC with Windows 7 Pro 32 bit, and a Canon ip3500 connected to the MBP that I'm trying to share. I can't get it to work the other way either (printer connected to the PC shared to the Mac).
I have the same problem trying to install a printer on my MacBook running XP under Boot Camp.
spencercross is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion