Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:57 PM   #1
aerospace
macrumors 6502a

Camera connection via SD card ?

Apples description is vague. It says you can load videos from your camera via the sd card, so does that mean I can put extra movies on the sd card and view it on the ipad? It auto adds them to itunes?
aerospace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:05 PM   #2
aerospace
macrumors 6502a

"The iPad Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using your camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card. iPad and the Camera Connection Kit support standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW. "

^^^from apple.com

Technically the ipad doesn't know that Avatar didnt come from my personal camera so it should work...?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:06 PM   #3
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

You might be on to something in that matter. I just wonder if it will force you to import the movie into the Photos.app? Or if it would allow you to play the movies from the SD card? I guess we'll know for sure once the camera connection kit ships.
GeekLawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:07 PM   #4
cualexander
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
Apples description is vague. It says you can load videos from your camera via the sd card, so does that mean I can put extra movies on the sd card and view it on the ipad? It auto adds them to itunes?
Somehow I doubt that. They mention videos in the first part yes, but then in the bottom they don't mention anything else except JPEG and RAW. I think that was probably a mistake on Apple's part as I can't see them supporting the various video codecs on different cameras. Even if they did there would probably be a file size limitation on it or some other restriction. I doubt they would open up a loophole that large to just use the SD card as movie storage for iTunes.
cualexander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Chundles
macrumors G4

Apple added MJPEG support to the iPad (in avi format - NOTE - This doesn't mean it will play ALL avi files) to allow for uploading videos from digital still cameras.

I don't know whether transfer of any video would be possible but we'll find out I suppose.

PS, thanks again to all you folks in the USA for being beta testers for these new products. I'll be getting mine in a month or so when all the kinks are worked out.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:16 PM   #6
aerospace
macrumors 6502a

lol cant remember the last real book I read but the ibookstore is so convenient I may have to make myself a budget to not go overboard
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:39 PM   #7
GadgetX
macrumors regular

This has come up a few times before and it still looks like no one is any closer to a definitive answer. I would also like to see if you could just plug a flash drive or a portable hard drive into the usb adapter and be able to access files like that! Hmm guess we won't know for sure until late April
GadgetX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:12 AM   #8
macduke
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetX View Post
This has come up a few times before and it still looks like no one is any closer to a definitive answer. I would also like to see if you could just plug a flash drive or a portable hard drive into the usb adapter and be able to access files like that! Hmm guess we won't know for sure until late April
I pray for this every night! Lol. It would make it easier to move files around. Hopefully it will have a more robust finder in 4.0. I remember reading some rumor on MR a month or so ago that said something about the next iPhone OS being more full featured like a real computer and that Apple was really excited about it?
macduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:16 AM   #9
steamtoy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetX View Post
Why not put an SD slot on the iPad?
steamtoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 02:51 AM   #10
The Mad Hatter
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamtoy View Post
Why not put an SD slot on the iPad?
Maybe, because not everyone uses SD cards. All my digital cameras use CF (and I like it that way.)
The Mad Hatter is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories