Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LadyHoneyBabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
With me still being a newbie to Apple products, it's interesting to see how much power Apple has with this iPad launch. Just one announcement from SJ and his unyielding stance on Flash created polarizing outbursts throughout the geek world. Now that the dust has settled a bit, I'm finding more and more new articles about businesses changing their websites to accommodate the iPad. That's a lot of power (authority, clout, control, etc.).

:apple:

danlovaj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
I know what you mean....as the head of Apple, Inc, which he reshaped ever since he took over the second time, he has the ability to reshape the tech world. And even more impressive, is not only the tech world for tech geeks, but he has affected millions of mainstream society people, and continues to do so with the iPad today. That is amazing.

It is feasible that someday HTML5 will outdo Flash, but with SJ behind the HTML5, I believe he will accelerate his own prophesy. What happens remains to be seen of course. But amazing how one man and his ideas can affect millions of people.

harry*333

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
apple practically has total control over the gadget world
all other companies wait for apple an then try to replicate their products
for example apple was one of the earliest companies to adopt USB ports on their computers, now it is THE universal port

when apple introduced the ipod alot of companies (especially zune) raced to create similar products in appearance and lower the price

and after the iphone was released it was the ONLY touch screen phone readily available, now its hard to find a phone without one

wyneken

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
The great State of Maine
It is feasible that someday HTML5 will outdo Flash, but with SJ behind the HTML5, I believe he will accelerate his own prophesy. What happens remains to be seen of course. But amazing how one man and his ideas can affect millions of people.

Indeed! Look what happened to the .ra and .wma music formats.

Apple has caught a lot of flak over the years for the vertical integration of the iTunes app and the iTunes store -- endless unfounded charges that using iTunes somehow "locks you in" to playing only music that you buy from Apple. But in fact Apple was supporting the open MPEG standard in its various incarnations (mp3 = MPEG-1 layer 3, audio; m4a = MPEG-4 audio) as against the proprietary Real Audio and Windows Media Audio formats. The real issue with the iTunes store was digital rights management (i.e. copy protection) -- and now that has been all but abandoned. Somehow this (admittedly complicated) situation was widely misunderstood and inaccurately reported.

I think maybe we'll witness the same kind of dynamic play out with Flash (a proprietary format) versus HTML5 (an open standard). Apple will continue to get flak for its "walled garden" or whatever the current terminology may be. Yet meanwhile we see another closed, one-company standard bite the dust.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
iPad = Jesus Tablet

If you make the sign of the cross on the iPad using a four finger gesture you will see the face of God in a Quicktime video.

jobs_economist_cover.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.