Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 30, 2010, 04:25 PM   #1
iCastleberry
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Importing Amazon Kindle Books to iBooks

If a book isn't available in Apple's Bookstore, will we be able to buy it on Amazon and import it through iTunes into iBooks on the iPad? I know this is possible with DRM free ePub's like Project Gutenberg, but I didn't know if Amazon had a DRM protection that would not allow this or if Amazon's eBooks were even the same format. I would like to avoid downloading the Kindle App to my iPad (pending its approval from Apple) if I can.

I searched the forums and several other websites, but I wasn't able to find a definitive answer.

Thanks. .
iCastleberry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 04:32 PM   #2
danlovaj
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
I believe Amazon is DRM protected. Most ebook sites are, with the exception of course, the free ones that the license has long expired (think classic novels).

If you buy through Amazon, then why not just use the Kindle app? That would make more sense to me. I highly doubt Amazon will let their ebooks show up on Apple's iBooks app. Something about a conflict of interest...

I have read a post somewhere here about how to strip DRM from the files, but that kinda stuff is too much work for a newbie like me. More than likely it will be on iBooks, and I bet with some time, publishers like Random House will come to their senses and see how much money they are missing out on not porting to iPad. You think Verizon is kicking their butts that they initially laughed off the iPhone when it first came out???
danlovaj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 04:37 PM   #3
avaloncourt
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
No, outside of the Kindle app you will not be able to use the books otherwise. Apple is EPUB and Amazon is MOBI. Both are encrypted so even if they were the same base format a file from the other would be useless to you.

Like you, I don't want an app for the Kindle. I want all the books in one place. Plus, I have a lot of Kindle formatted books I didn't purchase through Amazon that won't cross over to the Kindle App. Amazon only lets Amazon-purchased books transfer.

I have a Kindle and I've removed the DRM from all of my purchased books and I've converted them to EPUB. So, they're waiting to go on the iPad. I have also removed the DRM from the encrypted EPUB library books (Overdrive system) that I currently have so I can finish up with them on the iPad.
avaloncourt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:06 PM   #4
citi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Send a message via AIM to citi Send a message via MSN to citi
Quote:
Originally Posted by avaloncourt View Post
No, outside of the Kindle app you will not be able to use the books otherwise. Apple is EPUB and Amazon is MOBI. Both are encrypted so even if they were the same base format a file from the other would be useless to you.

Like you, I don't want an app for the Kindle. I want all the books in one place. Plus, I have a lot of Kindle formatted books I didn't purchase through Amazon that won't cross over to the Kindle App. Amazon only lets Amazon-purchased books transfer.

I have a Kindle and I've removed the DRM from all of my purchased books and I've converted them to EPUB. So, they're waiting to go on the iPad. I have also removed the DRM from the encrypted EPUB library books (Overdrive system) that I currently have so I can finish up with them on the iPad.
what software are you using? If you don't want to say it on the thread, PM me please.
__________________
Citi
Macbook Air 1.6 / Macbook Pro (15) 2.2 Quad 8gb ram / mac mini 1.8 4gb / 32gb Ipad Wi-Fi / VeriPhone 5 32gb
citi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:21 PM   #5
avaloncourt
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
You have a PM.
avaloncourt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:28 PM   #6
iCastleberry
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
If you buy through Amazon, then why not just use the Kindle app?
Like avaloncourt, I want all my books in one place. I agree with you, I think that in six months most books will be on the iPad.

Quote:
No, outside of the Kindle app you will not be able to use the books otherwise.
I was afraid of that...

Quote:
what software are you using? If you don't want to say it on the thread, PM me please.
I would also like to know...

Thanks for all of your help guys!
iCastleberry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:39 PM   #7
bostonte
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
iCastleberry has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.
bostonte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:43 PM   #8
Macaddict16
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCastleberry View Post
Like avaloncourt, I want all my books in one place. I agree with you, I think that in six months most books will be on the iPad.



I was afraid of that...



I would also like to know...

Thanks for all of your help guys!
I would also like to know how to consolidate libraries! Thanks for you help!
Macaddict16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:45 PM   #9
goobot
macrumors 601
 
goobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: long island NY
can you also send me the program?
__________________
Unibody Macbook |iPad|Apple TV 2|Black iPhone 6
goobot is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:39 PM   #10
avaloncourt
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I've responded to everyone who sent PMs.

For anyone else needing information do a Google search on:

kindlepid.py download

Go to the first link. I use this method. They state that there's an easier method at the very top next to "Update" and there is a link.

To convert to EPUB your Kindle AZW file (it's really a MOBI file) can be converted with the free Calibre software.
avaloncourt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 08:07 PM   #11
avaloncourt
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Just for informational purposes, I took a converted book and put it in the new iTunes 9.1 and it shows up just fine. The book appears with cover art.

There was also comments in the news thread on 9.1 that it blocks jailbroken devices and didn't even acknowledge that they are there. I used Blackra1n for the jailbreak and 9.1 sees the phone and it currently says that it's in the backing up portion of the sync.
avaloncourt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 07:10 PM   #12
adisquare
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by avaloncourt View Post
I've responded to everyone who sent PMs.

For anyone else needing information do a Google search on:

kindlepid.py download

Go to the first link. I use this method. They state that there's an easier method at the very top next to "Update" and there is a link.

To convert to EPUB your Kindle AZW file (it's really a MOBI file) can be converted with the free Calibre software.
So, is it the "Reverse Everything" website or the "Nyquil.org"?

And just to make it clear, correct me if i'm wrong, are there generally 2 steps to do this?
1. to de-DRM the file, and
2. convert MOBI to ePub?

I'm kinda new to the eBooks stuff, but I recently got my iPad and I want to get a book that is not available in the iBookstore but it is available in the Amazon Kindle store, for a very cheap price too. But I'd like for it to be read from iBooks app. Can you show me (or refer me to a specific website) that has a step-by-step instruction?

Thanks.
adisquare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:23 PM   #13
avaloncourt
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by adisquare View Post
So, is it the "Reverse Everything" website or the "Nyquil.org"?
Nyquil. That is the method I use but there's a link right at the beginning of that page with a newer method.

Quote:
And just to make it clear, correct me if i'm wrong, are there generally 2 steps to do this?
1. to de-DRM the file, and
2. convert MOBI to ePub?
Correct. When you de-DRM you get a MOBI file. That can be converted to ePub.

Quote:
I'm kinda new to the eBooks stuff, but I recently got my iPad and I want to get a book that is not available in the iBookstore but it is available in the Amazon Kindle store, for a very cheap price too. But I'd like for it to be read from iBooks app. Can you show me (or refer me to a specific website) that has a step-by-step instruction?

Thanks.
You might want to check out kobobooks.com. I wasn't aware of it until just recently. It's owned by Borders and seems to have a very large selection and more or less the same pricing structure as Amazon. That site will give you an encrypted ePub book. Decrypt that with available tools and it's immediately ready for use with the iPad. Search for ineptkey_v43.pyw and you'll find information about prepping these ePub files. I like doing it this way now because you get a perfectly formatted book ready for the iPad. I also use this method with my library online book downloads. It works great.
avaloncourt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 02:52 PM   #14
Checkpoint
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Okay, well, I searched everything you mentioned and I was wondering if you could make your directions a bit more clear. I am trying to get kindle books into iBooks and when I click on unswindle.pyw, it'll open KindleForPC and then I get a message saying "This book could not be opened." Please help. :x

Sorry for being so noobish. :x
Checkpoint is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:27 PM   #15
rodman109110
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Make sure you are using the right version of the kindle for pc software.
__________________
2.4 GHZ 500GB HD 8GB RAM Unibody Macbook Pro | 24" LED Cinema Display | New iPad 16GB | AppleTV 2 | iPhone 4S 16GB Black |
rodman109110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:33 PM   #16
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkpoint View Post
Okay, well, I searched everything you mentioned and I was wondering if you could make your directions a bit more clear. I am trying to get kindle books into iBooks and when I click on unswindle.pyw, it'll open KindleForPC and then I get a message saying "This book could not be opened." Please help. :x

Sorry for being so noobish. :x
Amazon recently updated kindle for pc so that unswindle no longer works. You need to find the earlier version of kindle and reinstall it.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:29 PM   #17
avaloncourt
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkpoint View Post
Okay, well, I searched everything you mentioned and I was wondering if you could make your directions a bit more clear. I am trying to get kindle books into iBooks and when I click on unswindle.pyw, it'll open KindleForPC and then I get a message saying "This book could not be opened." Please help. :x

Sorry for being so noobish. :x
Who are you addressing? I never mentioned unswindle and you're the only one in this thread who has. There were no directions in this thread mentioning it at all. The 'newer' link in the place I mentioned talks about it but I said up front I don't use that method and don't know anything about it but there's a link right at the top of that page that goes to a download of the older version of Kindle for PC. Everything on that page should work.
avaloncourt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:46 PM   #18
DataThief
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Somewere in Washington State
When I converted my Kindle books awhile ago I found out that only about 1/4 of the Kindle books were actually DRM'd. So try using Calibre first to convert.
__________________
Mac Mini 2.26 4GB , MacBook Pro 15", AppleTV2, iPhone 4 iPad
DataThief is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:54 AM   #19
Zion21
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Yeah just use the PC software.
Zion21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 02:59 PM   #20
altoidboy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread here. I want to go the opposite way: on my iPhone, I really like Kindle's viewability and I despise iBook's viewability (ridiculously large margins, less text per page, etc.)

Does anyone know of a way to transfer iBook books over to the Kindle app?

I think all my iBook apps are public domain. None were purchased through iTunes. But I don't fully understand how the Kindle app's files work, what it's compatible with, or how to import files into there.
altoidboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 03:48 PM   #21
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by altoidboy View Post
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread here. I want to go the opposite way: on my iPhone, I really like Kindle's viewability and I despise iBook's viewability (ridiculously large margins, less text per page, etc.)

Does anyone know of a way to transfer iBook books over to the Kindle app?

I think all my iBook apps are public domain. None were purchased through iTunes. But I don't fully understand how the Kindle app's files work, what it's compatible with, or how to import files into there.
If your books are in the public domain, they are most likely avaiable from Amazon in Kindle format, also for free. So I'd just get them again from Amazon. No need to convert and hack the app to accept those files. The only way I know of to get non-Amazon purchased books into the Kindle app requires that your iPad be jailbroken. If you still want to explore that path, Kindle books are in a format called "Mobi," and if you look around there are ways to convert ebooks into that format. You would then have to copy the converted files into the appropriate directory on a jailbroken iPad. I tried this once way before iPad/iBooks came out, on an iPod touch, and I can't remember how stable it was. My recollection is that I realized that Whispersync doesn't work with the hacked books, and that's when I abandoned that idea.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 01:41 AM   #22
Michael CM1
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
This is the fustercluck that I was worried about when Apple announced it was going to sell books, not just the iPad. Before, I thought it would be awesome for Apple to have this neat device and to buy my books through Amazon. Well, it's about 10 times worse now. You've got about eight players out there with Google now throwing its huge unwelcome (in my opinion) rear end in the field. All these digital books to be bought and about zero interoperability.

Seriously, what if you like the books for Nook and then B&N decides to tank that service? You've got a crapload of books that may be useless in the near future if your Nook dies or if something keeps a Nook app from working on future devices. I started ripping my CDs in the late 1990s when it was the cool thing, and I probably have a lot of the same exact files from then. Imagine if digital music started with a market as fragmented as ebooks. I think I bought a couple of albums from MusicMatch back in the day. They still work. Amazon's MP3s work in iTunes. Apple's non-DRM files work in other software that isn't ancient and laughs at .m4a.

Alas, I started buying books for Kindle when the app was released for iPhone. I have no interest in buying books from Apple unless reader apps can merge.
__________________
13.3" 2014 MacBook Air; Mid-2010 21.5" iMac; silver iPhone 5S 32GB (silver 64GB iPhone 6 coming soon!); white iPad Air 32 GB; third-gen TV (x2)
Michael CM1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:18 PM   #23
GrizzyHackle
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Importing Amazon Kindle Books to iBooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaloncourt View Post
No, outside of the Kindle app you will not be able to use the books otherwise. Apple is EPUB and Amazon is MOBI. Both are encrypted so even if they were the same base format a file from the other would be useless to you.

Like you, I don't want an app for the Kindle. I want all the books in one place. Plus, I have a lot of Kindle formatted books I didn't purchase through Amazon that won't cross over to the Kindle App. Amazon only lets Amazon-purchased books transfer.

I have a Kindle and I've removed the DRM from all of my purchased books and I've converted them to EPUB. So, they're waiting to go on the iPad. I have also removed the DRM from the encrypted EPUB library books (Overdrive system) that I currently have so I can finish up with them on the iPad.
Can you send me a PM with the software you use as well? Been trying to figure it out for weeks with no success.
GrizzyHackle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 03:06 AM   #24
Jkarman8
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
No luck

So, I have been following these instructions exactly and have yet had any success. I have the Kindle for Mac with the .azm files from Amazon and I have the extraction of the book from my iPad's backup file. I think I have the correct PID number that I got from http://kindletools.prestonlee.com/ yet I am still having a very difficult time working with these python scripts. I have the most recent script 0.16 of the deDRM, yet when I input the path into the shell using the cd command I receive an error, not allowing me to post the original file, desired output, or the PID.

I'm hoping that someone can help me out here as I have been searching Google for the past 3 hours to no avail.
Jkarman8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:01 PM   #25
Cordybiddl
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Importing iBooks to Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaloncourt View Post
You have a PM.
Can you tell me what program you are using to convert these?
Cordybiddl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amazon Introduces 7" and 8.9" Kindle Fire HDX at $229 and $379, Kindle Fire HD Now Starts at $139 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 191 Dec 8, 2013 11:04 PM
Kindle books and the kindle apps.. drm ? ri0ku Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Mar 28, 2013 06:14 PM
Amazon Introduces 8.9-Inch and 7-Inch Kindle Fire HD at $299 and $199, Updated Kindle Fire Drops to $159 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 711 Oct 3, 2012 12:41 PM
Is there an app besides Kindle that can read Kindle purchased books? ObsidianBlade iOS 6 9 Jun 22, 2012 03:57 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps