Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:00 PM   #1
danny_w
macrumors 601

UPS Scam? !!! BEWARE !!!

I signed up with UPS for email notification which I have done many times in the past. This time when I signed up I got the first email as I expected. However when I got home a few minutes ago I also saw 2 more emails supposedly from "UPS Manager Erna Deleon <service@ups.com>":

Quote:
Hello!

We failed to deliver postal package which was sent on the 10th of January in time
because the recipient’s address is incorrect.
Please print out the invoice copy attached and collect the package at our department.

United Parcel Service of America.
The attachment is a zip file that has a single exe file in it called UPS_Invoice_2845.exe (I opened it on a Mac not a PC) and it is probably a virus or a crude attempt to get your information. The destination email is NOT my email address so I expect it is some sort of a scam. Beware!
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:02 PM   #2
MiguelS
macrumors regular

Why would you even open it?
MiguelS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:04 PM   #3
danny_w
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelS View Post
Just curious. Since I was on a Mac I figured the threat was low.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:05 PM   #4
NachoGrande
macrumors 6502

That's been around forever. Usually it's DHL. I get about 5 a month
NachoGrande is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:06 PM   #5
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Thanks for the warning.
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Maaz
macrumors 6502a

I opened it the file and it dled a coupon to pick up my ipad from ups on march 31st !
Maaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 07:00 PM   #7
Spudracer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoGrande View Post
That's been around forever. Usually it's DHL. I get about 5 a month
Wow DHL! Now that's an idiot scammer. Guess they don't read the US newspapers in Nigeria.
Spudracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:03 AM   #8
southerndoc
macrumors 6502a

I've been getting 2 or 3 of these daily for the past 2 weeks. Never even opened one. Always deleted them based on the subject line.
southerndoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:02 AM   #9
Sleazy E
macrumors 65816

im more surprised that you actually opened the file than the fact that you got that email. I get them almost daily at work.
Sleazy E is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:06 AM   #10
msduncan
macrumors 6502

Hmmm..... speaking of scams. I received a note from what appears to be my credit card company asking me to 'confirm' a recent purchase of a magazine subscription. I'm betting this is also a phishing scam.
msduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:16 AM   #11
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
The DHL one contains a PC virus and its been going around for years. I'm guessing the UPS one is the same thing. There's also a Facebook one too. All 3 are fairly similar. If you run a virus check on your Macs it will probably pick out the email as suspect.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 01:17 AM   #12
foz405
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelS View Post
Probably because I've never had trouble with viruses and use DHL.

Can anyone tell me whether attempting to open the .zip file would cause me trouble on my PowerPC G4 Mac ? It didn't open and then I became suspicious, but probably too late.

Thanks
foz405 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 08:11 AM   #13
Karnivore
macrumors 6502

Here's free tip for you: UPS rebranded few years ago and is no longer called United Parcel Service, strictly UPS.

<----- UPS employee
Karnivore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 08:24 AM   #14
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by foz405 View Post
Probably because I've never had trouble with viruses and use DHL.

Can anyone tell me whether attempting to open the .zip file would cause me trouble on my PowerPC G4 Mac ? It didn't open and then I became suspicious, but probably too late.

Thanks
As long as it only contains a PC virus it wont affect you. However I would run some AntiVirus and get rid of it. Even if you don't open the zip the email will be shown to be suspect and the AV will delete it for you.

I run AV at work once a month as not to pass viruses onto PC clients. The DHL and UPS emails are always shown to be infected.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 09:08 AM   #15
awmazz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w View Post
I signed up with UPS for email notification which I have done many times in the past. This time when I signed up I got the first email as I expected. However when I got home a few minutes ago I also saw 2 more emails supposedly from "UPS Manager Erna Deleon <service@ups.com>":
I fell for it the first time myself as like you I was actually waiting for an ebay purchase delivery so clicked on it without even thinking twice that it wasn't legit as that's what DHL and UPS do on a regular basis - fail to deliver.

Think about it, if UPS or DHL's service was as good as they always claim it is, why would these spammers even try the 'failed to deliver' angle to get people to believe them?
awmazz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 11:12 AM   #16
ctt1wbw
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ctt1wbw Send a message via MSN to ctt1wbw Send a message via Yahoo to ctt1wbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudracer View Post
Wow DHL! Now that's an idiot scammer. Guess they don't read the US newspapers in Nigeria.
Nigeria? There's scammers in Nigeria?
ctt1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 11:13 AM   #17
ctt1wbw
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ctt1wbw Send a message via MSN to ctt1wbw Send a message via Yahoo to ctt1wbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by awmazz View Post
I fell for it the first time myself as like you I was actually waiting for an ebay purchase delivery so clicked on it without even thinking twice that it wasn't legit as that's what DHL and UPS do on a regular basis - fail to deliver.

Think about it, if UPS or DHL's service was as good as they always claim it is, why would these spammers even try the 'failed to deliver' angle to get people to believe them?
Cuz people are stoopid? People fall for scams from banks they aren't even a member of these days.
ctt1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad