Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
It's odd that my sound doesn't work. Not sure if its a hardware or software issue. When the macbook pro boots up the only sound I get is the mac "chime". The thing is I don't have sound in windows 7 using bootcamp.

I installed the update on my wife's macbook pro 1,1 and it works fine.

I installed the update on the family's imac 4,1 and it works fine too.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ochire

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2008
Check the control panel/system preferences. On the 10.6.2 update my output device got switched to something else.

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
That is weird now it's working. What I was wondering is if the headphone jack was working. I jacked in and got sound. Then I pulled out the headphones out of the headphone jack and then my speakers started working. Super weird. I wonder what happened.

stars_fan

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Nut house
That is weird now it's working. What I was wondering is if the headphone jack was working. I jacked in and got sound. Then I pulled out the headphones out of the headphone jack and then my speakers started working. Super weird. I wonder what happened.

That's normal. Sometimes when you remove things from the headphone jack it gets stuck in the optical mode. Plugging headphones in and taking them back out is the fix.

diegopego

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
The same issue

Yesterday i've installed the update and the audio only works with headphones.

My mac is Macbook pro 2.66GHz Core i7 4GB MacOX 10.6.7

Any help???:mad:

edrixc

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
Hey guys, usually there's something lose in the audio port. Just plug in and plug out your earphone. Thats the best fix right now unless you have it repaired.

It comes back from time to time and the solution is just to plug in and plug out.

Inaneite

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2014
I'm sorry for posting on a topic that's been dead now for 3 years, but when the sound died on my Macbook Pro earlier this week after an update and I looked for a solution online, this is one the forums that popped up. So, if this problem happens or has happened to somebody else, it's likely that they will find this thread as well and read it. It's for that reason that I'm reposting on such an old forum.

That being said, none of the suggestions posted on this page helped me at all. However, I did find a great solution elsewhere that did so I'll share it here for others who might happen by as I have.

I have a 15 Macbook Pro purchased in early 2011. It has a 2 GHz Intel Core i7 processor. The problem occurred when I updated my OSX to the most recent (as of May 19th) version of 10.9.3 and my iTunes to 11.2.1. After the restart, my sound didn't work.

I tried restarting it. It didn't work.

I tried inserting and reinserting the headphones into the jack over and over to reset the switch inside, didn't work.

I tried restarting it, holding down the option key, and using repair and verify disk options in Disk Utilities in the Recovery portion of the hard drive. It still didn't work.

This, however, is what finally did work:
1. Click on your macbook's desktop.
2. Goto the top of the screen and click "go" and the click "applications"
3. Scroll down and click "utilities" at the bottom of the screen and open it.
4. Then double click the icon that reads, "Audio MIDI Setup"
5. You'll see a list of audio devices. These are all of the audio devices that are built in or installed to you Mac.

Mine listed "Built-in Microphone", "Built-in Input", and "Built-in Output", which had 2 audio devices listed beneath it, "Soundflower (2ch)" and "Soundflower (16ch)". With my device, the little volume speaker icon was next to the "Soundflower (2ch)" option and the little square Macbook pro face was next to "Built-in Output". This indicated that "Built-in Output" was the default option, but that "Soundflower (2ch) was the currently selected option. So I left clicked "Built-in Output" to select it and then right clicked it and chose the option that read "Use this device for sound output". After that my sound immediately started working!

For more information on this process and pictures of each step, please visit http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-the-Sound-on-a-Mac-Computer

Without that link, I would not have known how to fix my macbook's sound.

Reactions: helmary

helmary

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2019
Thanks! I had the same problem with no sound, so went to Audio MIDI setup. I found that on "Built-in Output" with the Source as "Internal Speakers" it showed both 1 and 2 speakers had MUTE ticked. I unticked them and all was fine.

I have no idea how that happened. I did mute my Macbook the last time I had it on, and also some updates were installed for High Sierra, but neither of those should really have affected it, I would have thought. Was really scratching my head..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.