Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 12, 2004, 03:46 PM   #1
asphalt-proof
macrumors 6502a

Bought ram from Frye's and...

I ordered some a stick of 512 SODIMM ram from Frye'e earlier this week. When it arrived, the barcode around the plastic containing the ram said 512 SODIMM but the ram inside had a regular sick of 512 (approximately 5" long). I opened the bottom of my iMac and the slot there was square(ish). Am I looking at the correct slot for the ram? By the way, I am was not looking at the Airport slot. I wrote Frye's back and requested a change. Because the pkg. is wrong will I just get more of the same when they 'pick' the order? Has anyone dealt with Frye's before who can tell me their customer service record. And finally, am I missing something when I lifted the bottom of my 'puter? There was a flimsy plastic thing that seemed to separate the airport and ram slot from everything else. I was pretty sure taking that out would void my warranty. Thanks for any information.
Pete
asphalt-proof is offline   0
Old Sep 12, 2004, 04:09 PM   #2
imac9556
macrumors 6502a

I suggest that you go back to the store because I don't think that there is a fry's online, except outpost.com. The RAM on the bottom of the iMac is the SO-DIMM, and the top slot is that regular DIMM (the one you got, approx 5in)

Good luck return it too, I hear that some of the stores have really bad customer service. I don't have any in my area, but I wish you luck
imac9556 is offline   0
Old Sep 12, 2004, 04:11 PM   #3
MacFan26
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to MacFan26
Fry's as in Fry's Electronics? They're ok I guess with customer service, but I'm really not a big fan of the stores, except it's true they are cheaper than some places. Anyway, I also ordered RAM from them for an iMac and I got the wrong RAM too. The iMacs actually use laptop memory, instead of the regular desktop memory they gave you (I'm assuming that's what happened), so it shouldn't be a problem to get it switched. Hope it works out
Old Sep 12, 2004, 05:29 PM   #4
Mechcozmo
macrumors 603

They ran a 30 minute background check on my uncle when he tried to pay with a check. And no, he isn't a criminal.

Oh, and if you do ever get the right RAM, I don't think it will work. A friend of mine once had to return a wifi router 12 times to get a full working router, with all the cables.

Good Luck!
You can scroll down now.
Mechcozmo is offline   0
Old Sep 12, 2004, 08:44 PM   #5
MacFan26
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to MacFan26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcozmo
Oh, and if you do ever get the right RAM, I don't think it will work.
Just for the record, mine did work when I got it, I wouldn't be too worried about the RAM not working.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 09:08 PM   #6
jimsowden
macrumors 68000

You left a clifhanger in yout title so i had to read this.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 09:50 PM   #7
hcuar
macrumors 65816

When I was looking at iBooks at the Apple store, they told me the SO-DIMM was under the Airport Extreme card. I'd ask Apple or look in your manual before you try to open the bottom of the system up. (It was a "genius" that told me. Since they install RAM, I'd think he'd know).

BTW... Stay away from Kingston Value Ram. I just tried to put some in my PB and it didn't pass the extended ram test. My 512MB Apple RAM is working quite nice. You can buy Crucial which should work for cheaper.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:11 AM   #8
asphalt-proof
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsowden
You left a clifhanger in yout title so i had to read this.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing??

When I was looking at iBooks at the Apple store, they told me the SO-DIMM was under the Airport Extreme card. I'd ask Apple or look in your manual before you try to open the bottom of the system up. (It was a "genius" that told me. Since they install RAM, I'd think he'd know).

It didn't appear to be any direct way of getting behind the airport card. Not to mention that there was a ram slot right next to the airport card slot.

I suggest that you go back to the store because I don't think that there is a fry's online, except outpost.com. The RAM on the bottom of the iMac is the SO-DIMM, and the top slot is that regular DIMM (the one you got, approx 5in)

I guess I should have clarified that it came through outpost.com. SOrry for the confusion.

thanks for the infor guys
asphalt-proof is offline   0
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:43 AM   #9
OldManJimbo
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to OldManJimbo Send a message via Yahoo to OldManJimbo Send a message via Skype™ to OldManJimbo
I've had good and bad service from Frys + Outpost.com.
Mostly good service from Outpost. Going to the stores is a pain. The floor help is generally bad - either condescending or clueless.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 09:45 AM   #10
wPod
macrumors 68000

ha. . . good ol' fry's . . . great cheap stuff, but you get what you pay for. its an outlet store, you must realize that before stepping foot in there (or online). everything that passes through there has either been returned, exchanged, repaired or just broken and put back in the box. but if you are really lucky you might find over stock items which are new unopened and actually work. i had a video card once i returned 4 times before i got one that worked. i would say about 50 percent of the products i purchase there work the first time. but the good thing is with all my effort of driving back to the store and returning things i save a lot of money! its worth it to me.
wPod is offline   0
Old Sep 15, 2004, 07:02 PM   #11
Mechcozmo
macrumors 603

Yeah. Another friend of mine got a WiFi router for 40 bucks because they didn't mark it correctly. Fry's is great for when you need something cheap, but I really don't like them. But I guess I did build a computer out of parts from their ad (the lost leaders).
You can scroll down now.
Mechcozmo is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers