Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juandixon109

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
I know online will allow you to configure your options more, but when the new MBP update comes out, will getting it at an apple store be even possible? will there be a long line? this will be my first mac so I am not familiar with how the last launch went.

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
The only people "lining up" on release day will be the 200 or so people on this macbook pro thread, but since we are spread out across the country, the biggest line will be 5 or 6 people. The general people don't care about i5 or i7, they just want a mac to look cool in front of their friends or at starbucks, they wouldn't care if we stuck a pentium 4 processor in there! They just flat out do not care. It isn't a new product like the iPad, it is a simple processor* update.

*A regular person will say "processor, like the food processing plants right?"

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Personally I like going to the store--same price, you still have to pay tax, etc--but that's just cause I hate waiting for the FedEx/UPS guy to come 3 days later :p

Hazyb71

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
The only people "lining up" on release day will be the 200 or so people on this macbook pro thread, but since we are spread out across the country, the biggest line will be 5 or 6 people. The general people don't care about i5 or i7, they just want a mac to look cool in front of their friends or at starbucks, they wouldn't care if we stuck a pentium 4 processor in there! They just flat out do not care. It isn't a new product like the iPad, it is a simple processor* update.

*A regular person will say "processor, like the food processing plants right?"

Not in Glendale, CA. Every time Apple has a release here the line extends outside of the mall and it lasts for a couple weeks sometimes! I remember not even liking Apple at the time but my Customer Service Rep. booth was across the Apple Store and it had me wondering what all the craze was about...

A.W.E.S.O.M.-0

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
Yes, but it's recommended that you do it yourself as it will be cheaper.

This is STRONGLY recomended as it will be much, much cheaper then buying it through Apple.

But to answer your question, buy it in a store. Same prices (unless you have a freaky tech university discount), good service, you'll see what you're getting and you can start enjoying it the second you are home. It will save you lots of time following the ups/fedex/tnt tracking site.

Another plus; you'll get to know the people working in the Apple store. You're going to see them more then you would like over the coming years and it never hurts to be acquainted if you need a repair or two....

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
This is STRONGLY recomended as it will be much, much cheaper then buying it through Apple.

But to answer your question, buy it in a store. Same prices (unless you have a freaky tech university discount), good service, you'll see what you're getting and you can start enjoying it the second you are home. It will save you lots of time following the ups/fedex/tnt tracking site.

Another plus; you'll get to know the people working in the Apple store. You're going to see them more then you would like over the coming years and it never hurts to be acquainted if you need a repair or two....

From site with student discount its 90., will be same if I walk in purchase with s.discount and upgrade to 4GB in the store. Less hassle and its done right away. For 1189. I'll have 2.26 with 4GB on the spot...

paintballswimgu

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
I know online will allow you to configure your options more, but when the new MBP update comes out, will getting it at an apple store be even possible? will there be a long line? this will be my first mac so I am not familiar with how the last launch went.

depending on where you buy it online, you can avoid sales tax which saves big time bucks

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
If you buy online, you've got an upper hand when it comes to Applecare. For e.g. if you bought your machine via an apple retail store and your machine is acting up, Apple will say that you must visit a retail store to fix an appointment. If you bought it online, you've got the option of Apple arranging a courier to your door step and collecting it... PLUS, you can visit the store. Which ever is convenient for you.

The above scenario happened to me last year and since then i've decided that (in future) ill be spending my money on the online store.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
If you buy online, you've got an upper hand when it comes to Applecare. For e.g. if you bought your machine via an apple retail store and your machine is acting up, Apple will say that you must visit a retail store to fix an appointment. If you bought it online, you've got the option of Apple arranging a courier to your door step and collecting it... PLUS, you can visit the store. Which ever is convenient for you.

The above scenario happened to me last year and since then i've decided that (in future) ill be spending my money on the online store.

Didn't no that, will have to buy on line.

paintballswimgu

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
I've never had the problem where apple wants you to take it to a retail store to get fixed. I bought everything at a physical apple store. But i've always just mailed it in for repairs.

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Yeah, here in the U.S that isn't the case. I buy all my stuff from retail stores, and it is sometimes easier for me to ship it and they have always sent someone to pick it up for me!

A.W.E.S.O.M.-0

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
From site with student discount its 90., will be same if I walk in purchase with s.discount and upgrade to 4GB in the store. Less hassle and its done right away. For 1189. I'll have 2.26 with 4GB on the spot...

Fair enough, perhaps Apple has slowly learned a lesson. When I bought my SR this was definatly not the case and I thought I saw the prices of additional ram were still much higher last year (last time I checked).

But 90 (dollar?) isn't bad for 2 additional gigs of ram but it's still a long shot from the 60 that I paid for aditional two gigs of ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.