Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Getting your 3.1.3 SHSH on File is More Important than Ever!

With the recent announcement of two new exploits that can be used to create an untethered jailbreak on a 3GS running 3.1.3, it has become very important for iPhone 3GS owners to get their 3.1.3 SHSH on file in Cydia. Even those whose new-bootrom phones are not currently capable of jailbreak need to have their SHSH on file so that they can ensure they will always be able to jailbreak with the tools that are expected in the next month or so. Apple could release a firmware upgrade at any time to patch these exploits, and those without their 3.1.3 SHSH on file might then be unable to restore to the 3.1.3 firmware they will need to jailbreak. It is also an important hedge against "accidental" upgrades.

Anyone Can Get His 3.1.3 SHSH On-file in Cydia!

I have created this guide to dispel a widespread misconception: that it is only possible to get your SHSH on file if you have a currently jailbroken phone. This is simply not true. There are no fewer than three ways of getting your SHSH on file, two of which can be used even if your phone is not jailbroken! By following one of these three methods, it should be possible for anyone -- regardless of current firmware version, bootrom version, or current jailbreak status -- to get his 3.1.3 SHSH on file with Saurik.

1) Using Cydia

Benefits: Easy
Creates Local Backup: No
Requires Jailbreak: Yes

The easiest method is available only for users with currently-jailbroken phones. When you open Cydia for the first time, you should be presented with an option to "Make My Life Easier" on the Cydia home page. Simply click "Make My Life Easier" and Saurik's server will store your ECID and use it to request your 3.1.3 SHSH from Apple and store it for your future use.

Unfortunately, if you decline this option when it first appears, there is no way to go back and change your decision. Fortunately, there are two workarounds...

2) Using The Firmware Umbrella

Benefits: Stores your SHSH locally as a backup to Cydia
Creates Local Backup: Yes
Requires Jailbreak: No

Fortunately, there is an alternative method that works for those who (either because they unwittingly declined the "Make My Life Easier" option in Cydia or because they cannot jailbreak their phones) are unable to use Cydia to get their SHSH on file. This method has the added advantage of creating a local backup of your SHSH in addition to getting your SHSH on file in Cydia. This is done using free software called The Firmware Umbrella. The steps are as follows:

For Windows:

1) Download and unzip the latest version of The Firmware Umbrella from http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/.
2) Double click Umbrella.exe to run it.
3) Enter your phone's ECID into the first box (follow steps 1-6 in this tutorial to find your ECID).
4) Choose iPhone 3GS - 3.1.3 in the Device Version dropdown menu.
5) Choose Saurik - Cydia in the SHSH Repository dropdown.
6) Click Submit.

For Mac:

1) Download and unzip the latest version of The Firmware Umbrella from http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/.
2) Open Umbrella.dmg and copy the file Umbrella.app to your hard drive.
3) Run Umbrella.app
4) Enter your phone's ECID into the first box (follow steps 1-4 in this tutorial to find your ECID).
5) Choose iPhone 3GS - 3.1.3 in the Device Version dropdown menu.
6) Choose Saurik - Cydia in the SHSH Repository dropdown.
7) Click Submit.

This will accomplish two things in once step: Saurik's server will download and save your 3.1.3 SHSH (along with the information it will need to request any future version's SHSH) and Umbrella will download a copy of the SHSH from Saurik's server and save it to your computer.

3) Using iTunes and a Hacked hosts File

Benefits: Fewer steps than Umbrella; doesn't require you to know ECID.
Creates Local Backup: No
Requires Jailbreak: No

There is one other way that you can get your 3.1.3 SHSH on file with Saurik. This method does not require you to download any software or to jailbreak your phone, but it does require that you edit the hosts file on your computer and have a copy of the 3.1.2 firmware file (you can download it here.

1) Open the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and edit it by adding the following entry to the bottom of the file:
Code:
74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
2) Plug in your iPhone and open iTunes.
3) Hold down shift (Win) or option (Mac) and click restore.
4) Browse to your copy of the 3.1.2 firmware (not the 3.1.3 firmware).
5) Click OK.

Please note: you will get an error message. This is expected. Because Apple is no longer signing 3.1.2, you will not be able to restore, and Saurik's server will return an "device ineligible" error. Your phone will not be restored to 3.1.2. This unsuccessful request will, however, have placed your ECID on file with Saurik's server and will place you in the queue for 3.1.3 SHSH. You should have your 3.1.3 SHSH on file within a day or so. If you need to restore to 3.1.3 in the meantime, simply do so using iTunes. iTunes will send the 3.1.3 SHSH request to Saurik's server, which will request it immediately and pass it back to you so that you can restore.

cool3omar

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2010
So can the 2nd and 3rd methods be used to add SHSHs on file, then downgrade the firmware allowing a jailbreak?

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
I cant remember if i clicked make my life easier when i jailbroke, (it was 3 months ago). When i go into cydia at the top it says in green text "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: 3.1.2, 3.1.3" I presume this means im ok if i ever need to do a restore and want to stay on 3.1.2? How come it says it has 3.1.3 on file when I have never had that installed?

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Even though I already have my SHSH on file for 3.1.3 is there any reason I should have a local backup? Or is it useless after I've already stored with Saurik?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
So can the 2nd and 3rd methods be used to add SHSHs on file, then downgrade the firmware allowing a jailbreak?

If you read the post, you can now store 3.1.3 hashes. If needed in the future, you could downgrade back to 3.1.3.

This will not allow you to downgrade to 3.1.2 (if that is what you are asking) since it only traps 3.1.3 and newer. You can no longer store 3.1.2 or older SHSH blobs.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
@ thelatinist

Still some confusion over the fact this applies only to 3GS. Do you think it would help if you "bolded" or underlined the 3GS info in the 1st line of your tutorial ?

Good job, as usual ! ;)

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I cant remember if i clicked make my life easier when i jailbroke, (it was 3 months ago). When i go into cydia at the top it says in green text "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: 3.1.2, 3.1.3" I presume this means im ok if i ever need to do a restore and want to stay on 3.1.2? How come it says it has 3.1.3 on file when I have never had that installed?

The SHSH is not something that it taken from your phone. Saurik uses your ECID to request your SHSH directly from Apple. He does this automatically for each new firmware release, whether you upgrade to that firmware or not. My phone has never been on 3.1 or 3.1.3, but I have SHSH for 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.2, and 3.1.3 on file with Saurik.

Even though I already have my SHSH on file for 3.1.3 is there any reason I should have a local backup? Or is it useless after I've already stored with Saurik?

I shouldn't say it was useless. Although Saurik says he has everything well backed-up, things can happen. It's an extra layer of protection and gives me extra peace of mind.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
On the MITM concept; I might come through as a technical dimwit here but doesn't Apple's servers get absolutely hammered by requests from Sauriks IP's or is he, in simple terms, relaying the IP we connect to him from?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
On the MITM concept; I might come through as a technical dimwit here but doesn't Apple's servers get absolutely hammered by requests from Sauriks IP's or is he, in simple terms, relaying the IP we connect to him from?

That is a very good question. I don't know how Saurik has set it up, but you would assume that it would be fairly obvious if the same IP making over a million 3.1.3 restore requests.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
That is a very good question. I don't know how Saurik has set it up, but you would assume that it would be fairly obvious if the same IP making over a million 3.1.3 restore requests.

Isn't possible that most are routed through a fake proxy there by making it look as if it's coming from all over the globe. Some sort of request schedule to space them out would probably work as well. It is also likely that apple has turned a blind eye thinking that there are lots of people just upgrading/restoring. Unless an upgrade request is different than a restore request. Just a thought. I really don't know how it all works on a server level.

Duc748

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
Hi all
I'm new to this jailbreaking i have a 3gs never jailbroken before on 3.1.3 I tried to backup shsh on a mac using umbrella did as the steps above said i got a error when i chose Saurik in drop down I then tried apple in drop down and got a file back IPhone 3.1.3 shsh Then tried saurik in drop down again file came back 1phone 3.1.3 shsh.o.bak does this mean Im backed up on cydia ?
Thanks

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Hi all
I'm new to this jailbreaking i have a 3gs never jailbroken before on 3.1.3 I tried to backup shsh on a mac using umbrella did as the steps above said i got a error when i chose Saurik in drop down I then tried apple in drop down and got a file back IPhone 3.1.3 shsh Then tried saurik in drop down again file came back 1phone 3.1.3 shsh.o.bak does this mean Im backed up on cydia ?
Thanks

If you were able to download your SHSH from "Saurik - Cydia," then you should be all set. Not sure why it didn't work the first time.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
This is such a refreshing departure from the usual "OMG I JAILBROKE MY 3GS WITH NO SHSH" threads that have seemed to pop up with increasing frequency lately. Thanks, latinist, this is real good stuff.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Isn't possible that most are routed through a fake proxy there by making it look as if it's coming from all over the globe. Some sort of request schedule to space them out would probably work as well. It is also likely that apple has turned a blind eye thinking that there are lots of people just upgrading/restoring. Unless an upgrade request is different than a restore request. Just a thought. I really don't know how it all works on a server level.

I remember reading a while ago that he doesnt do them all together but in batches and breaks them up so he doesnt get flagged.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
im having trouble downloading the umbrella firmware on windows can soneone help me?

What does this mean ? You can't find the software ? You can't click the download link ? You have no internet connection ? You don't know what to do with the software after you download it ?

Way too vague for us to help you !

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
What does this mean ? You can't find the software ? You can't click the download link ? You have no internet connection ? You don't know what to do with the software after you download it ?

haha this made me laugh so hard....!:D:p

twezzyfbaby

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
columbus ohio

Dont know what to do with the software after i downloaded it to put in the ECID. I went to the website above clicked download saved the file now im lost.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
yea ok ha ha so can u help or not?

Actually, I was just getting ready to type a helpful response to your previous post (the one about not knowing what to do with software once you download it, which, by the way is in conflict with your original post that you can't download the software), but then I saw this one.

Try Google ! Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.