Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:08 PM   #1
AFMRPCUSER
macrumors member

Mac Pro With Weather Stations

I Recently purchased a Mac Pro and I am considering interfacing it to a Weather Station. Almost every Weather Station touts PC compatibility and about 1/3 interface Mac's. But after reading the reviews on them... I am under the impression that many users have run aground and encountered problems attempting to interface them to a Mac or PC. Anyone here have first hand experience interfacing a modern Weather Station to a Mac via one of the USB ports?

AFMRPCUSER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:45 AM   #2
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Yes, I use this thing called the Internet to connect to the NWS and check out the weather station data from the airport 1.5 miles from where I live.

I know you want to do this, but I have to ask...why? Are you in a rural area without a local monitoring station?
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:24 PM   #3
AFMRPCUSER
macrumors member

My Reply 2 U

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
Yes, I use this thing called the Internet to connect to the NWS and check out the weather station data from the airport 1.5 miles from where I live.

I know you want to do this, but I have to ask...why? Are you in a rural area without a local monitoring station?
I'm not certain why you responded with such a sarcastic reply about the WWW. I have been on the Web before it was named that... and before 99% of todays users knew we had one and have been in Electronic Engineering since 1979. Now to get to the meat of my question. I can access the WX from many sources VHF NWS Broadcasts, HF WX Broadcasts, TV, Radio and finally the WWW but that is not what I was asking for.

I enjoy keeping track of WX conditions at my residence daily condx and long term trends and have for many years wanted a WX station complete with the capability to download the sensor date to my Computer. I just wanted to know what is being used with success interfacing Mac's. Many manufactures attempt to feed you all kinds of hype but when it comes to interfacing a Computer they shy away from that area because they either have problems doing it and-or do not wish to air their dirty laundry. Or... they simply do not understand what their own design engineers have produced for them. I will continue to keep searching. Thank you..

AFMRPCUSER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 04:04 PM   #4
dirtbikedba
macrumors newbie

Oregon Scientific Weather Station is Mac Compatible, now

The Oregon Scientific Professional Weather Station, WWMR200, is now intel Mac compatible. It is a whopping $299, with free shipping.

I think I'll be getting one of these. We have pets, and I want to keep track of inside & outside temps. I'll work out how to get the thing to send alarms if the temps get too far out of whack. Besides, I've always wanted to track weather info at our house. We range +/- 10 degrees, from the closest weather station. Also, wind speeds are of interest in our neighborhood, because there is a lot of blow down. It would be interesting to know that the wind is gusting over 65 mph, and you might come home to having a tree in your bed room.

http://www.oregonscientificstore.com...p?itmky=489559
dirtbikedba is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro