Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Some punk broke into my dad's Tahoe recently and made off with his GPS and a controller for his CD changer. I have no idea why one would risk jail time for maybe $30, but I guess that's beside the point. Feel free to be angry with me.

Anywho, if the remote control he has doesn't allow him full use of the CD changer, I might finally talk him into an iPod. He switched to a Mac before I did about five years ago, so he is open to different technology. He burns CDs from time to time with different assortments of old people music -- mostly old Country and some comedy stuff.

Now I know 8GB would be plenty of storage for him, so I basically want to know what others think the best choice would be -- iPod touch or iPod nano. I know the pros and cons for me since I own an iPhone and owned an iPod 5G back in the day, which is quite similar to a nano. I lean toward a touch because of the large screen, touch capabilities and potential for apps.

If anybody in the boomer range is here or if any of you know a boomer with an iPod, I'd love some input.

Before anyone asks, I may have considered one of the older iPod shuffles -- I owned the stick-of-gum-shaped one -- but not the sans-controls ones.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
In this case, I would recommend the nano. It is easier (and safer) to change songs while driving.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
120gb ipod classic. He can fill it up with apple lossless, and be able to get the songs from his youth up till now and beyond.:D

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
Eye sight might be an issue with the older folks. The nano is pretty small, especially to change songs while driving. I'd reccomend a touch. I recently bought a classic and it was too small to change while driving so I went back to using my iPhone which is just like a touch

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
My mom has used several nanos (she's in her 60s) with no problem. She started out with a 1st gen hand-me-down one from me and is currently using a 5th gen one that I also gave her. I think she likes having the clickwheel because the buttons are right there, out in the open, for her. If something goes wrong, she can easily hit the Menu button and get back a few menus til she can navigate to where she needs to be.

My dad has one of the short, fat nanos and loves it as well. No problems using it, and the place where he primarily uses it is in the car. He can skip songs by feel due to the clickwheel; it's dangerous to take your eyes off the road to see where the skip fwd/back buttons are on a touch. I have an iPhone 3GS and basically refuse to use it in the car for that reason; my 4G nano is perfect for using "blind."

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Thanks for all the tips. Apparently the remote control won't turn the thing on and off, so the changer is basically worthless without a $120 piece of equipment. Awesome engineering, Sony.

He seems to like the iPod touch better. I know the benefit of a physical button for changing while driving, but I really don't think he does that much. He mostly will put those CDs in and just play a shuffle.

I may also get him hooked on the apps on the touch, even just the mail app. He could check e-mail from his recliner instead of going to the computer.

As far as the classic, I don't think he has the need for throwing all the songs on there. I also don't even know if he has more than 8 GB of songs on his computer. He probably does, but I think he has made one digital music purchase -- and I did it for him. I really think he'd love an iPad but just doesn't know it. I had to explain to him the benefit of DSL around 2000. It took a while of explaining that the extra $20 or $30 for a second phone line was crazy when replacing a $20 dial-up plan with a $50 DSL plan at at least 10x the speed would be a wash financially. The "oooh!" moment was pretty cool.

I've got a pair of 10 percent off coupons for Target, so I think I'm going to wait until a deal is run with a gift card -- it's the same as cash to me.

Thanks for the advice. Now if you know how to keep people from breaking into automobiles, that would be awesome advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.