Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:36 PM   #1
marc.cizravi
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to marc.cizravi Send a message via MSN to marc.cizravi Send a message via Skype™ to marc.cizravi
Setting default 'Reply To' in Mac Mail?

Anyone know how I can set a permanent Reply To header for all my mail accounts in Mail?

I've found a couple scripts by searching the net, but all old stuff and nothing that works... anyone care to take a crack at it?

Applecare's official stance is that you need to type it in manually for every message... there has to be some way around this.

thanks in advance
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:47 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

So you're saying you want to send all replies to the same address, regardless of where the email came from?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:53 PM   #3
marc.cizravi
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to marc.cizravi Send a message via MSN to marc.cizravi Send a message via Skype™ to marc.cizravi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
So you're saying you want to send all replies to the same address, regardless of where the email came from?
ya, so for example I have 1 @me.com, 1 @gmail.com and 1 @hotmail.com, no matter who I send an email from, I want the reply to go to email-account-4@macrumors.com
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:58 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc.cizravi View Post
ya, so for example I have 1 @me.com, 1 @gmail.com and 1 @hotmail.com, no matter who I send an email from, I want the reply to go to email-account-4@macrumors.com
But the people who send you emails won't see any of your replies, if you send them all to yourself. That's not making any sense.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:03 PM   #5
marc.cizravi
macrumors member

Quote:
But the people who send you emails won't see any of your replies, if you send them all to yourself. That's not making any sense.
ok, let's say I run 4 different websites. @1.com @2.com and @3.com, each of these different sites has info@1.com and info@2.com and info@3.com. When people email me for the first time, I respond accordingly from the account they've sent a message to. However, FROM THEN ON I'd like them to reply to personal@me.com, so I want the "Reply-To" header always set to personal@me.com.

re-reading your reply, I don't think you understand what the 'Reply To' field accomplishes when writing a new message.

Make the distinction between the 'To' field and 'Reply-To' field.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:18 PM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

You're right. I misunderstood which field you were referring to. Try this:
Adding a default Reply-to address in Mail.app
or this:
How to Add a Reply-To Header to All Emails You Send in Mac OS X Mail
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:21 PM   #7
marc.cizravi
macrumors member

Quote:
You're right. I misunderstood which field you were referring to. Try this:
http://www.hawkwings.net/2007/01/28/...ss-in-mailapp/
Tried it, didn't work. That article is dated January 2007, when Macs were not yet even running Leopard, a lot has changed since now and then and I imagine over time small changes (or large changes) that have been made to Mail have rendered it useless.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Brian33
macrumors 6502a

The following does not add a Reply-To header, but changes the From header so all the replies go where you want them to -- works for me:

Go to Mail Preferences..., Accounts, select info@1.com, Account Information, "Email Address:" and change it to the desired reply destination of personal@me.com. (Don't change the address in the "User Name:" field, though).

Now all mail sent from info@1.com will show up as From personal@me.com, so replies will go to personal@me.com.

Don't know how to send the first email with a From header of info@1.com, though.

Would that work for you?
Brian33.
Brian33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:42 PM   #9
marc.cizravi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian33 View Post
The following does not add a Reply-To header, but changes the From header so all the replies go where you want them to -- works for me:

Go to Mail Preferences..., Accounts, select info@1.com, Account Information, "Email Address:" and change it to the desired reply destination of personal@me.com. (Don't change the address in the "User Name:" field, though).

Now all mail sent from info@1.com will show up as From personal@me.com, so replies will go to personal@me.com.

Don't know how to send the first email with a From header of info@1.com, though.

Would that work for you?
Brian33.
That actually might do it, I'll have a look tonight (not near my macs right now).

I actually got a hold of someone who scripts and he's going to look at the one linked above~
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:52 PM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian33 View Post
Would that work for you?
Brian33.
That doesn't work. That has nothing to do with replies. It only changes the email address used in composing a new message.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:53 PM   #11
marc.cizravi
macrumors member

Quote:
That doesn't work. That has nothing to do with replies. It only changes the email address used in composing a new message.
... that also makes sense, I'm assuming you've tried & confirmed in which case... blast!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:54 PM   #12
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc.cizravi View Post
... that also makes sense, I'm assuming you've tried & confirmed in which case... blast!
Yep, tested and confirmed.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store