Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Im a bit confused.

Why would you download and view the Google Doc when you could just view it online through the web browser. Isn't that how people use Google Docs because that is how I use it now on my G5 and the iPhone...though its a pain on the iPhone because of the small screen size.

Thought I will say that the only Google Doc I use is the Spreadsheet so maybe thats why I only need to access it via the web browser.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Im a bit confused.

Why would you download and view the Google Doc when you could just view it online through the web browser. Isn't that how people use Google Docs because that is how I use it now on my G5 and the iPhone...though its a pain on the iPhone because of the small screen size.

What if you're in an area with no wifi?

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Well then its no use to me anyway as I have 3 collaborators who use the same Google Docs I do and if they or I make an update to the doc, everyone has to see it in real time.

And this is the reason I went with 3G anyway.

bmwguy80

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Great find! I've been looking for a tool that did exactly this so that I had access to my Google Docs when offline.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
According to their website, that requires a Google Apps Premier level account ($50 per user per year), which isn't really for everyone. If this worked with a basic Google Docs account, it'd be awesome, but currently does not.

jW

bmwguy80

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
According to their website, that requires a Google Apps Premier level account ($50 per user per year), which isn't really for everyone. If this worked with a basic Google Docs account, it'd be awesome, but currently does not.

jW

According to the article linked in the first post, the iPad version works with a free account as well.

"The application allows users of any Google Docs account (be it normal or Premiere) to automatically download and store their Docs, which they can then view using the iPad’s document viewer that’s been integrated into Memeo’s app."

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
This is cool. Especially for viewing your docs when no wifi is around.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/03/31/memeo-is-bringing-a-google-docs-reader-to-the-ipad/

This is cool for the time being, but it would be nice if iWork for iPad was able to save documents from Google Docs automatically, in a similar way to MobileMe.

Is there any word on whether or not you could view the document in Pages, Numbers, or Keynote; make changes; and then save it to be uploaded the next time there is an internet connection?

That would be great. You could get a notification everytime an edited document is detected and ready for download (or automatically downloaded) and when the document has been uploaded after saving the new, edited version.

Hmmm...I don't think an app like this would be possible, but it should be integrated in the iPad. It could work just like the Mail app, except with documents instead of messages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.