Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Sep 13, 2004, 12:09 AM   #1
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
Griffin PowerMate *****

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/

Nothing more than a simple yet elegant 'button' for your desktop that wires into your machine via USB. It feels very much like a tuning wheel on a very nice HiFi stereo tuner, with a very smooth action and easy one-finger manipulation. The button works for roll left, roll right, push, push & hold, push & hold left, & push & hold right. Each position can be customized to do a specific function either system-wide, or specific to whatever program your working in at the time. Customization is easy with a straightforward Prefs Pane for the system preferences.

Available in brushed aluminum finish (what I got to match my G5) or in a powdercoated black finish. Both are currently US$39.99.

I got this thing for my birthday from my mother-in-law. I have an online birthday/christmas wish list that I did a year or so ago so that I could remember what I wanted throughout the year when people asked me closer to time. She found that, thought the price was right, and ordered. When she gave it to me and I unwrapped it, she said "I can't believe I gave you a knob for your birthday." She was right, and at the time I didn't really know what the extent of the knob was - just that I thought it looked cool with the glowing blue light underneath.

Of all the functions that this thing is great for, the coolest of the bunch is in Photoshop, if you're a power-user like me. Being able to have it change brush sizes on the fly with a simple twist of the knob is just about the coolest thing since sliced bread. Combine that with the power of a pressure-sensitive pen tool, and you'll never want to use Photoshop any other way again.

con - the attached USB cord is too short for use, unless your machine is on your desktop next to it (mine isn't) - but they're nice enough to include a USB extension cable for that very reason.

Last edited by Mudbug; Sep 13, 2004 at 12:13 AM.
Mudbug is offline   0
Old Sep 13, 2004, 12:17 AM   #2
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

ive been desiring one of these for a while now, hmmmmm christmas maybe.....
Old Sep 13, 2004, 12:37 AM   #3
FlamDrag
macrumors 6502

Yes, these things rule. They are infinitely more useful than I had ever imagined. Just one more input device to help ease carpel tunnel advancement.

I hadn't even used it for brush sizes in PS yet. Sheesh!
Old Sep 13, 2004, 02:04 AM   #4
dotnina
macrumors 6502a

Glad you're enjoying your Powermate. I've been thinking about one myself, but I'd probably use it to just scroll through documents.

It seems like it's capable of doing some neat things, though. I noticed the PowerMate Pulse widget for Konfabulator the other day -- it pulses to indicate you have new mail.

Anyway, enjoy!
dotnina is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews