Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:42 PM   #1
apatel87
macrumors regular

Comparison of Different Airport Extreme Models

Hi, there are a lot of Airport Express threads going around but since I didnt want to hijack anyone else's thread I thought I would start a new one. I need a router very soon and was hoping to get the Airport Extreme since the majority of the computers in the house are Macs. My friend was gifted an Airport Extreme MB763LL/A and was offering it to me for $105 brand new sealed. I am pretty sure that this is not the new model and was wondering what the differences were between this one and the new model and whether it was worth the extra movie. I think the main difference is the gigabit ethernet but as a noob I am not exactly sure the benefit of having it. Would streaming high definition files to the Apple TV become a problem?
Also does this model has simultaneous dual band. Amazon states that it does but I wanted to make sure. Finally, the computer that is going to be hardwired is actually a PC. Does this matter in the setup? Can I set it up using a Mac even though it wont be hard wired to the router. Many of these questions seem basic but they would help a lot. And also, responses are much appreciated as I need to get back to him by this evening. Thanks!
apatel87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:43 PM   #2
apatel87
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by apatel87 View Post
Hi, there are a lot of Airport Express threads going around but since I didnt want to hijack anyone else's thread I thought I would start a new one. I need a router very soon and was hoping to get the Airport Extreme since the majority of the computers in the house are Macs. My friend was gifted an Airport Extreme MB763LL/A and was offering it to me for $105 brand new sealed. I am pretty sure that this is not the new model and was wondering what the differences were between this one and the new model and whether it was worth the extra movie.
By extra "movie" I meant money. Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:48 PM   #3
McGiord
macrumors 68040

Not sure about the exact model number, but what I know is that the current model has the capability to have clients running at b/g speed without affecting the speed of n clients, the previous models were not able to, they 'slow' the n clients to the slowest client connected. Also you can setup a visitors' network with a different password, so you can have privacy and no need to share your password with visitors.
If I were you, instead of buying the old model go for the current one.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:54 PM   #4
calderone
macrumors 68040

The main difference seems to be that MC340LL/A has the "finalized" N standard while the MB763LL/A was still Draft N.

But, from what I can tell MB763LL/A is dual-band capable.

The newer model, the MC340LL/A does have antenna improvements and improvements for Time Machine backups to an AirDisk.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:31 PM   #5
apatel87
macrumors regular

Does the model that I listed have gigabit Ethernet? How much of a difference is there between this model and the newest. Is it worth the extra hundred dollars including tax?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:36 PM   #6
calderone
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by apatel87 View Post
Does the model that I listed have gigabit Ethernet? How much of a difference is there between this model and the newest. Is it worth the extra hundred dollars including tax?
Yes, that model has gigabit.

As I stated, the difference is in the antennas (range and speed are better) and backup via TimeMachine to AirDisk.

Whether or not that is worth it is up to you. It depends on what you plan on doing with it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals