Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Mar 31, 2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Mavolence
macrumors newbie

Razer Carcharias headset mic not working on iMac

Hey everyone,

Just bought the headset in the title above, the headphones themselves work great but the mic isn't being picked up by my 2008 24 inch iMac.

I've heard that it has something to do with the port not being powered and that Macs require a USB headset to power the microphone. I'd rather not return them if there is another way around it.

Any suggestions?
Mavolence is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 06:41 PM   #2
zao8350
macrumors regular

i'm assuming the headset plugs into the headphone jack? you'll prob need something that can split it so it plugs into the headphone and mic jack. correct me if i'm wrong
zao8350 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Mavolence
macrumors newbie

It has both a mic jack and a headset jack, apparently only the headset jack works because the mic jack needs to be powered for it to work but I don't know of any way to fix this.
Mavolence is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:37 PM   #4
JackAxe
macrumors 68000

You can buy a USB adapter with a mic input.

I only looked for a bit, but found this;
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

I'm sure if you dig around, you can find one with just the mic-input and not the audio.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 01:37 AM   #5
Jackydznuts
macrumors newbie

I've recently purchased the Carcharias headset and have the same issue with the mic not working. Can someone explain further in layman's terms what the problem is, as well as proven solutions or workarounds?
Jackydznuts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:05 AM   #6
Sapper202
macrumors newbie

I just got the Razer Carcharias and am having same problem, i found out that it is as mavolence said the imac is a line in and is unpowered as it should be a mic in to be powered anyway. I have a question to see if this would work, if i purchased a Logitech g110 keyboard it has supported usb audio with a mic and headphone input on the keyboard, then usb to the computer. Just wondering if u think that would work?
Sapper202 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:40 PM   #7
deadwulfe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper202 View Post
I have a question to see if this would work, if i purchased a Logitech g110 keyboard it has supported usb audio with a mic and headphone input on the keyboard, then usb to the computer. Just wondering if u think that would work?
From the Logitech Website:

Quote:
Integrated USB audio
Separate headphone and mic jacks and mute buttons mean you can use any analog headset with 3.5 mm plugs as a USB audio device for clear communication.
Also from the product's Specification's page:
Quote:
System Requirements
MacŪ computer with Intel processor
Mac OSŪ X 10.4 or later

Available Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port
20 MB of available hard disk space
CD-ROM drive
Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games