Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
It is now April 1 on the International Dateline

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary, and first posted in May, 2006 It was converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors and often exceeds 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Fortnightly Challenge and Weekly Contest. No winners (or losers), either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post multiple images in one message.

*Quote with Thumbnails - If you quote an image that has tags, convert them to [img] tags before replying. This will post your comment with a thumbnail and save space. Failure to [img] in quotes is still a problem at this time. Help fix that.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. The Moderators like that. Observe the [img] policy here, too (especially).

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

Optional - Describe your photo.Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera; ISO; Focal Length; Shutter/Aperture; Lens.

For step-by-step procedures go to these PDF tutorials.

[url="http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8Y2IzMjdiMmMtNTc2MC00NWUwLThhZDEtYzYwODA0YTM4OWYz&hl=en"]Using ImageShack[/url]

[url="http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8ZDUxNzIyM2EtM2M1Mi00YWVkLWFhZTUtYzU5YTEyMmMzOTdk&hl=en"]Using Flickr[/url] Revised 3/1/10. Flickr compliant.

[url="http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8MTU0Yjk4MjMtNGRhYy00MGRkLWI2ZDMtMWUwYWM2NTZmNDkw&hl=en"]Using Quote and MultiQuote[/url]

[url="http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8MmUxZjk3M2EtMDZiZS00ZmFlLWFmNDctNzY5MzNlNzA1MmJh&hl=en"]How to Edit Your Post[/url]

Comment on this post [URL="https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/869348/"]HERE rather than in POTD[/URL]

Dale (aka: Designer Dale)

March POTD stats: 975 Replies; 33,700 Views

dpastern

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Female Jumping spider (Salticidae family)

Found her and duly grabbed a few images of her. Wasn't helped by a strong breeze, took 2 shots, one was OK, but this was the better of the 2 by far, albeit not perfect. I've done a manual WB as best as possible, but there's still a slight Yellow cast I'm afraid. :(

_DN_3953.jpg

These spiders are non harmful to humans, very friendly, very inquisitive, and very smart. They are also deadly hunters - they pack a good punch for their size.

Dave

edit: hand held shot (as all my macro shots are), 3:1 or thereabouts. High mag macro shots are *not* easy, even if I make them look easy.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
3sqd

Exif:
Lens: EF70-210mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 70mm
Exposure Bias: 0 ev
Aperture: f/3.5
Shutter Speed: 1/80
Some light curves adjustment and cropping.

booth22

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2007
Dog photos are sooo last month...

I'll keep them from my UW collection this month...
Not the most patient model!

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Ford Mustang from a classic car show outdoors.

i didn't really know what setting to use for these, so i used aperture priority and set it at like F/13-F/16...was that a good choice to do?

cause i thought it would be good to have everything in focus about all the cars.

anyone have tips on shooting things like this?

i have like 50+more photos on my website, so any help about them for the cars would be greatly appreciated. so i know for the next one, what to do.

IMG_4508.jpg

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Excellent, although it looks like it's a bit flat in the feather sections on my calibrated monitor. I've got a image almost identical to this, will post it tomorrow.

Dave
Yeah, I'm going to have to blame that on my lens. It was an old one I had and it was the end of it's life, but the framing and distance could be a lot better.

damov2

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
Cambridge, uk
Meercat portrait

This was taken last year but i have just got round to editing this.

EXIF:
Camera:Canon EOS 1000D
Exposure:0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture:f/6.3
Focal Length:250 mm
ISO Speed:640
Exposure Bias:0 EV
Flash:Off, Did not fire

dpastern

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
i didn't really know what setting to use for these, so i used aperture priority and set it at like F/13-F/16...was that a good choice to do?

Well, typically, f8 to f11 is the sweetspot for most lenses. Yes, a small f stop will give you greater depth of field (DOF), but f8 in most cases, when combined with a wide to standard focal length lens will be perfectly fine. Beware smaller f stops with digital cameras, as you'll gain DOF but lose resolution due to diffraction, especially with the tiny sensors in most P&S cameras.

Dave

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Just another country church. I always like this kind of light: something lit against a dark sky. It makes stonework crisp and 'sharp'. The grass is starting to green up, here in Cumbria, though you wouldn't know it from this pic (and there's snow on the hills again)...

ings.jpg

booth22

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2007
Thats awesome, look at those teeth, he got that "I'm gonna eat you" look. lol how do you do underwater photography?

For the most part, my UW stuff is shot with a Canon G10 in an Ikelite UW housing with 1 or 2 external strobes. I'll see if I can dig of a photo of what I use. It's a fun little challenge to hope the subjects go along with what I want to shoot, hold myself still midwater and hope the settings/angles of the strobes work well. There are far more skilled people at this for sure, but for a once or twice a year vacation I'm pleased enough. By the time I get warmed up, our trip is usually coming to an end! I'll hopefully be posting more this month, I'll try to find some of my more web-worthy shots.

Looking for a midnight snack...

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003

Just another country church. I always like this kind of light: something lit against a dark sky. It makes stonework crisp and 'sharp'. The grass is starting to green up, here in Cumbria, though you wouldn't know it from this pic (and there's snow on the hills again)...

ings.jpg

A pair of lovely shots.

Mine for the day (still going through my cruise pics):

4481588493_ee394ce3e8_o.jpg

The cables are zip lines. You rig yourself into a harness and then ride them down, dangling underneath. 500 ft vertical drop, can't remember the total length. You travel down the cables...quickly. While it looks like the cables dive into the ocean it's an optical illusion. They stay above water and end on the distant beach. Total blast.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
....mmmm, shiny!

Lake Las Vegas?

Having read the previous posts I'm going to have to remember to start @ f/ 8 and go from there. Also, I found it's somewhat frustrating to shoot at a car show. Especially a big car show, because there are people every where, hence the framing on this one. Does this composition still work?

Clickable...

EXIF Info:
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/800)
Aperture: f/5.0
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 100

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Anybody for more peacocks?

4463490677_be4545d9a5_b.jpg

I would add one, but I've already posted today.... Maybe tomorrow.

Not sure if you are interested in C&C, but I think this image would be more striking by cropping in a bit to exclude everything in the background. Just the bird and the inner circle of "eyes." The people and trees in the background are distractions for me. The subject is clearly the peacock and I think the image would be stronger by filling the frame with the subject. Take this with a grain of salt--don't wish to offend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.