Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Apr 1, 2010, 04:54 AM   #1
macmania82
macrumors regular

Terminal > "-bash: command not found" for almost anything!! Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Hi friends,

I'm using Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

whenever I try almost any command at Terminal, I come across an annoying message like:

-bash: unzip: command not found
this is a sample for i tried unzip, but it happens for so many other command as well

so what is that? do I need to install anything to make terminal work with these commands?

Appreciate helps! thanks
macmania82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 08:01 AM   #2
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

Sounds like the path variable may have gotten befuddled. Try running the following,

Code:
/bin/echo $PATH
I get the following, but yours won't be exactly the same.
Code:
/opt/local/bin:opt/local/sbin:/Applications/MAMP/bin/php5/bin:/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin:/Applications/Adobe AIR SDK/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 08:22 AM   #3
macmania82
macrumors regular

Code:
/bin/echo $PATH
give the line below:

Code:
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/opt/subversion/bin/:PATH
so what does it mean? :/
macmania82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 08:23 AM   #4
belvdr
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmania82 View Post
Code:
/bin/echo $PATH
give the line below:

Code:
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/opt/subversion/bin/:PATH
so what does it mean? :/
Your PATH is messed up, particularly the end of it. Were you modifying /etc/bashrc or .bashrc in your home directory?

You want to modify the PATH line above so the final word is $PATH, not just PATH.
belvdr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:40 PM   #5
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

In addition to the above, the change could have been made in a .profile folder in your home directory. This file and those mentioned by belvdr are hidden files so you will not see them in Finder unless you have hidden files shown. You may not have edited these files, some programs will edit them too, but if that's the case then they have a typo to fix.

To open these hidden files from Terminal,
Code:
/usr/bin/pico filename
I believe that's the full path to the pico editor. Not at my Mac to be certain. Alternatively,
Code:
open -t filename
will open the file in TextEdit. Just make sure TextEdit edits it as plain text instead of rich text. As a last alternative, use TextWrangler, which has a open hidden option to get to these files.
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 06:35 PM   #6
Featnerlouise
macrumors newbie

Problem Solved

Copy and pasted this "export PATH=$PATH:/bin:/usr/bin" into terminal and it fixed my problem!!! )
Featnerlouise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 07:55 PM   #7
MacUser2525
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featnerlouise View Post
Copy and pasted this "export PATH=$PATH:/bin:/usr/bin" into terminal and it fixed my problem!!! )

Until you close that Terminal window or even a new one you open will have the same problem. You need to find out as was advised in this necro post you revived what screwed up the path to begin with.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X