Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Apr 1, 2010, 08:36 AM   #1
chriskzoo
macrumors 6502

Wireless keyboard vs. the iPad Keyboard Dock

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would go with the iPad specific dock/keyboard when you can just sync up a Bluetooth keyboard that you can stash in a drawer and would have the advantage (I'm assuming you can do this) of being able to throw it on any desk and use a keyboard without the dock.

Thoughts?
chriskzoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 08:49 AM   #2
GregGebhardt
Banned

The keyboard docks looks nice and some will just plain like the fact that it holds the device at a good angle with keyboard included. Apply is selling this as an option, so you order it only if you want it

I am hoping the onboard virtual keyboard works well enough to do the little bit of typing I will want to do.
GregGebhardt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 08:50 AM   #3
4DThinker
macrumors 68020

Get both. The keyboard dock doesn't fold flat. Keep it at home (or at the office). Get a bluetooth one to take on-the-go.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 08:55 AM   #4
dagomike
macrumors 65816

I'd get the keyboard so I could use it with my MacBook Pro, and I assume with my iPhone either with OS 3.2 or 4.0. Not sure I'd get both because I don't plan on doing a lot of typing on it, but would like the option of a full keyboard.
dagomike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 08:58 AM   #5
samcraig
macrumors G5

Reviews have pointed out - that with the dock you are stuck with the keyboard being at a set distance and that you can only type in portrait mode. If you want flexibility - just get the bluetooth keyboard.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 09:01 AM   #6
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskzoo View Post
I'm trying to figure out why anyone would go with the iPad specific dock/keyboard when you can just sync up a Bluetooth keyboard that you can stash in a drawer and would have the advantage (I'm assuming you can do this) of being able to throw it on any desk and use a keyboard without the dock.

Thoughts?
Andy I. said pretty much the same thing last night. The BT keyboard makes a lot more sense since its universally compatible. I suppose you could buy both the BT Keyboard for travel and the KB/Dock for home but thats a lot of money for accessories and Apple has a poor track record of allowing accessories to be intergenerational compatible.
Chupa Chupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 09:03 AM   #7
chriskzoo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Reviews have pointed out - that with the dock you are stuck with the keyboard being at a set distance and that you can only type in portrait mode. If you want flexibility - just get the bluetooth keyboard.
Yeah, I was wondering about that - seems like it would be uncomfortable. I guess my usual keyboard to screen distance is about 18-24", but I just realized that you don't get a dock with the iPad. That being said, with the Apple iPad cover, you can prop it up easily and then just plug in the AC adapter if you need to charge it at the time - which isn't likely anyway.

Now my only question is - do I really need more than 16GB......
chriskzoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 09:06 AM   #8
ipadking
macrumors member

Actually, look on ebay, they have a lot of mini bluetooth keyboards on sale. They even have small thumb-like keyboards that look like similar to blackberry, but they are bluetooth.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:58 PM   #9
BobZune
macrumors 6502a

Bluetooth keyboard will be more convenient if you have the mounting problem solved (e.g., with a iPad case). But some people in secure (work) settings can't use wireless/bluetooth for anything.
BobZune is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:03 PM   #10
tivoboy
macrumors 68000

does anyone know

which OTHER bluetooth keyboards will work with the ipad? It seems that macworld managed to pair it with a couple keyboards outside the apple one.
tivoboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:07 PM   #11
flyguy206
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
which OTHER bluetooth keyboards will work with the ipad? It seems that macworld managed to pair it with a couple keyboards outside the apple one.
any bluetooth keyboard. you can get a cheap one apple keyboard is good but cost to much
flyguy206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:10 PM   #12
HXGuy
macrumors 68000

iPad Apple Case + Bluetooth Keyboard seem like a much better solution since you can then type in landscape mode as well and also it's easier to carry (flat).
HXGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:13 PM   #13
tivoboy
macrumors 68000

not sure

I'm not sure if ANY is going to be correct. I have a lot of bluetooth keyboards here, many of which have always required some form of driver or app to enable. Some of the targus ones, the stowaway products, I have a couple of those. Also a palm branded one which was for a phone, but of course worked with laptops before. We'll see, I have some really nice small ones - if they work would be much better than the apple one (of course without some special keys)
tivoboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories