Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
I'm trying to figure out why anyone would go with the iPad specific dock/keyboard when you can just sync up a Bluetooth keyboard that you can stash in a drawer and would have the advantage (I'm assuming you can do this) of being able to throw it on any desk and use a keyboard without the dock.

Thoughts?

GregGebhardt

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
The keyboard docks looks nice and some will just plain like the fact that it holds the device at a good angle with keyboard included. Apply is selling this as an option, so you order it only if you want it;)

I am hoping the onboard virtual keyboard works well enough to do the little bit of typing I will want to do.:)

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Get both. The keyboard dock doesn't fold flat. Keep it at home (or at the office). Get a bluetooth one to take on-the-go.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
I'd get the keyboard so I could use it with my MacBook Pro, and I assume with my iPhone either with OS 3.2 or 4.0. Not sure I'd get both because I don't plan on doing a lot of typing on it, but would like the option of a full keyboard.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Reviews have pointed out - that with the dock you are stuck with the keyboard being at a set distance and that you can only type in portrait mode. If you want flexibility - just get the bluetooth keyboard.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'm trying to figure out why anyone would go with the iPad specific dock/keyboard when you can just sync up a Bluetooth keyboard that you can stash in a drawer and would have the advantage (I'm assuming you can do this) of being able to throw it on any desk and use a keyboard without the dock.

Thoughts?

Andy I. said pretty much the same thing last night. The BT keyboard makes a lot more sense since its universally compatible. I suppose you could buy both the BT Keyboard for travel and the KB/Dock for home but thats a lot of money for accessories and Apple has a poor track record of allowing accessories to be intergenerational compatible.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Reviews have pointed out - that with the dock you are stuck with the keyboard being at a set distance and that you can only type in portrait mode. If you want flexibility - just get the bluetooth keyboard.

Yeah, I was wondering about that - seems like it would be uncomfortable. I guess my usual keyboard to screen distance is about 18-24", but I just realized that you don't get a dock with the iPad. That being said, with the Apple iPad cover, you can prop it up easily and then just plug in the AC adapter if you need to charge it at the time - which isn't likely anyway.

Now my only question is - do I really need more than 16GB......

ipadking

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2010
CA
Actually, look on ebay, they have a lot of mini bluetooth keyboards on sale. They even have small thumb-like keyboards that look like similar to blackberry, but they are bluetooth.

BobZune

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
USA
Bluetooth keyboard will be more convenient if you have the mounting problem solved (e.g., with a iPad case). But some people in secure (work) settings can't use wireless/bluetooth for anything.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
does anyone know

which OTHER bluetooth keyboards will work with the ipad? It seems that macworld managed to pair it with a couple keyboards outside the apple one.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
which OTHER bluetooth keyboards will work with the ipad? It seems that macworld managed to pair it with a couple keyboards outside the apple one.

any bluetooth keyboard. you can get a cheap one apple keyboard is good but cost to much

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
iPad Apple Case + Bluetooth Keyboard seem like a much better solution since you can then type in landscape mode as well and also it's easier to carry (flat).

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
not sure

I'm not sure if ANY is going to be correct. I have a lot of bluetooth keyboards here, many of which have always required some form of driver or app to enable. Some of the targus ones, the stowaway products, I have a couple of those. Also a palm branded one which was for a phone, but of course worked with laptops before. We'll see, I have some really nice small ones - if they work would be much better than the apple one (of course without some special keys)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.