Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Love the form factor of MBA but would love a larger screen to go along with the light weight. What are the chances?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Probably no chance at all, since the driving force behind the MBA is portability.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
There were rumors about it once. I would be interested, as it would be great in the home... but then my 13" MBA does fine and it drives the 24" LED ACD when I need to see a bigger display.

I think it's more likely that the MBA's designs will make it to a future 15" MBP. Eventually, I have to believe Apple plans to use the MBA design in all Mac notebooks. Until then, we will probably be happily stuck with a 13" MBA.

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
A 15" would defeat the whole idea of the MBA, which is small size, low weight portability. Need a 15"? Buy a BMP. I use my MBA for when I need to travel, otherwise I use my iMac and it's a no brainer.:)

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
Love the form factor of MBA but would love a larger screen to go along with the light weight. What are the chances?

Chances Unknown. BUT if a 15" MBP Airized were released I WOULD buy it, and I mean I will wait outside the Apple store in Lenox Mall until they opened to get one. BUT
It would not be a true airized 15" that I want. I want all he power of a New soon to be released 15" MBP in an airish design, not reduced spec processor. Slight lift in the rear, IE the keyboard angles down in front. No Optical. Don't use the hatch keep the ports useable without opening a door. Ports can be on both sides.

innominato5090

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
one day I had a dream about a 17" macbook air. bigger screen, thinner case. It'd be beautiful. useless, but beautiful :rolleyes:

phoobo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
Would actually make sense...

...because the current Air has a severe internal airflow problem. This would open up the channels a bit.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I agree with those who think it unlikely that Apple would ever offer a 15 inch MBA. The MBA is a niche produce, an ultralight and extremely thin laptop. While some of that could be preserved even in a 15 inch machine, some of the MBA's current thinness and a lot of its lightweight would have to be given up. Thus, I don't think it will happen, either.

On a side note, despite swearing I wouldn't, I went to the Apple Store to scope out the iPad. Ha! I got there at 9:05 am and the store was full, with still more customers lined up outside the door as far as the eye could see. The line was so long I didn't bother to actually ascertain where it ended. It was the wildest scene I had seen since the original iPhone came out. Steve Jobs may have had the right idea, at that.

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
As always none of us here actually know. But at the same time I would prefer buying a 15" MacBook Air to the 13"

beebler

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, according to my Apple R&D friend, it'll come out. There will be new Macbook Airs towards the end of this year (I'm thinking it'll actually come out early 2011) and the 15" will come out after the initial ones are released.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
Yeah, according to my Apple R&D friend, it'll come out. There will be new Macbook Airs towards the end of this year (I'm thinking it'll actually come out early 2011) and the 15" will come out after the initial ones are released.

Might well be. I by now think that the delay in the whole MBP/MBA line might be due to a change in form factor. The original MBA be will eod'd and the form will survive in the new MBP 13, 15 (and maybe even 17) inch, dropping the optical drive entirely for streaming content or downloading it. So - that would give you a 15' MBA sort of. MBP refresh is 100 days over average, MBA 50 days.

There is no way it will be the end of the year - 18 month cycle??!

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
How reliable do you assess your friend at Apple R&D to be? Apple is secretive, verging on paranoid, so I was surprised to see that one of their R&D people had apparently disclosed inside information to somebody outside the company. Could he have been slyly pulling your leg?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.