Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to various reader reports, the new iMac G5 which was previously announced at Apple Expo Paris has begun shipping to customers who placed early orders. Email announcements regarding shipment are being sent out as of today. Apparently both the 17 and 20 inch models are both shipping. Standard freight shipping takes approximately 10 days.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The question is... how many? Maybe Apple really did stockpile a ton of them over the summer. But they've already said supplies will be tight.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
This should make many people very happy. Now we can get some good benchmarks done on the new imac beast.

NOOO, so very close to first post!!

Suburban Trow

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2004
Wisconsin
4800 Messages later...

Here we go with another 4800+ post discussion...

Spreadsheets tracking promised and actual shipping dates. Bring on more pictures of the FedEx guy!

Get ready. :eek:

AndiePandie

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2003
Does this include BTOs too or just the standard package?

Now my hopes are all up as I put my order in on the 31st!

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I wonder if they're already displaying them at the Apple stores. The design is growing on me, but I know I'll like it even more once I see it in person.

.narco

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
I'm surprised they're ready for shipping already.

It makes me wonder how long they've been waiting for decent supplies of G5s to get these things moving off the line and into homes.

It makes me believe they had the design/manufacturing lines set up long ago and were just waiting for enough chips to go around.

Tuttle

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
Just ordered a stock low-end 17" about an hour ago and my date is 10/12/2004.

I was hoping for something a little sooner, but it shouldn't be nearly as bad as the wait for my G5.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
I'm going to buy one of these for my parents, who are currently using a Window 98 machine - riddled with viruses. A Mac now seems like the only safe way to let your retired non-tech-literate parents surf the Web!

Tuttle

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
Foocha said:
I'm going to buy one of these for my parents, who are currently using a Window 98 machine - riddled with viruses. A Mac now seems like the only safe way to let your retired non-tech-literate parents surf the Web!

Somewhat the same for me. The new iMac is for my mother for email and basic web-surfing.

I had to hold myself back from tearing into one of my relatives who had the inane notion that a 500 dollar Dell was the smart purchase. They thought I was being a smart-ass when I told I'd be happy to if they made the weekly trip across country to clean her machine of viruses and spyware.

The 6500 the new iMac is replacing ran without a problem for eight or so years for her. I assume the machine will do the same.

ariza910

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
So Cal
Foocha said:

that is so true, PCs and non tech parents dont mix, I had to get my parents a G4 iMac for the same reason. They love it.

nacl99

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
AZ
SilentPanda said:
I'm just waiting to make sure the dual screen hack will work with it and then I'll be placing my order... so somebody get one and try it out!!!! :)

What hack? The iMac G5 has ds native, but through VGA, what else is there?

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
I would guess that there have been plenty of components ready for the factory line. The iMac was supposed to ship in June so there should be no surprises on component availability. I would also assume that there are more than a few Apple engineers at the factory watching every step of production.

If an order placed today is scheduled to ship on Oct 12th I would guess that things are going fairly well in the factory - and that Apple will be shifting a lot of G5 chips to the iMac line for the first few months.

Sadly, there is still no e-mail from Apple about my BTO 20". I'm beginning to feel that the standard models will be pushed through the line first and then the BTOs as the line settles down.

blueBomber

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
neato, now I have to decide if I want to order one of these or a powermac for minor prepress work (light indesign layouts) at our office. Any takers on a suggestion? :)

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
I didn't get an email and the status of my order hasn't changed yet. I ordered my iMac the day after it was announced. Shouldn't I be in the first batch. Maybe I customized everything, bigger hard drive, wirelss, and 1 GB ram etc ...

outerspaceapple

macrumors regular
May 23, 2004
Minnetonka, MN USA
blueBomber said:
neato, now I have to decide if I want to order one of these or a powermac for minor prepress work (light indesign layouts) at our office. Any takers on a suggestion? :)

If I were you i'd go with the powermac. iMacs are cool and all, but just not well suited for graphics intensive work. Thats just my take on it though, i'm sure most people would be more than happy to have an iMac to do minor prepress work with, but for a business i'd suggest goin with the powermac. Also, you can upgrade a powermac with a better gfx card, whilest you can't do that with an iMac (not suggested anyways).

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
macridah said:
I didn't get an email and the status of my order hasn't changed yet. I ordered my iMac the day after it was announced. Shouldn't I be in the first batch. Maybe I customized everything, bigger hard drive, wirelss, and 1 GB ram etc ...

I really don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but please read through the powermac dual 2.5 shipping forum to avoid getting your hopes too high! :eek:

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
macridah,

I ordered my BTO 20" at 6 AM on the morning they were announced, and have not received my e-mail either, but I do check it every 5 minutes . . .

I think that a lot of orders were placed by people who stayed up late in order to be first in line AND because the show was in Paris customers in the UK and Europe had a 5 - 8 hour head start on the business day.

I'm just afraid that Apple will fill orders for the standard models for a brief time (just to make sure production is going OK) before throwing the BTOs into the line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.