Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carrerascott

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
I couldn't find an answer searching. Does anyone know if the iPad will come with some charge? Or will it be dead out of the box and need to be plugged in right away? Just curious...thanks.

zinka

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2009
I couldn't find an answer searching. Does anyone know if the iPad will come with some charge? Or will it be dead out of the box and need to be plugged in right away? Just curious...thanks.

Other apple products come with a charge. Usually about 1/2-3/4. I don't think anyone knows for sure about the iPad.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Most battery-powered electronics come with some charge these days. Part of the QA process before it is packaged. If the device sits long enough, it may lose its charge, depending on the type of battery.

msduncan

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
I'm assuming it is going to be ok to plug the thing into an outlet and play with it while it's charging (like iPhone).

Rubey81

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2009
Doesn't it affect battery life in the long run if you don't fully charge it before using it those first few times?

I remember most electronics like cell phones etc tell you to plug it in and charge it fully before first use.

Am I completely wrong here?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Doesn't it affect battery life in the long run if you don't fully charge it before using it those first few times?

I remember most electronics like cell phones etc tell you to plug it in and charge it fully before first use.

Hop on over the the iPhone section and read one of the many battery threads.

elhungarian

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.17405/1114; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries don't car of you fully charge first or not. These types of batteries don't have a memory as nicads or nimh do.

monksealpup

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
Honolulu, HI, USA
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.17405/1114; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries don't car of you fully charge first or not. These types of batteries don't have a memory as nicads or nimh do.

Wrong.

Lithium batteries are charged to 50% at the factory since this is the "storage" level. It's POSSIBLE Apple ordered the initial batches to be charged to 90-100% knowing they wouldn't be on the "shelf" long.

The initial charge is important for lithium batteries. Plug it in when you get it and charge it for 3-4 hours (you can use it during this time). After that, recharge as often as it's convenient (draining them before charging isn't good). If that's not confusing enough, drain them completely then charge them completely every month or two for best battery performance.

For my iPhone, I charge it every night and I NEVER need to recharge during the day and they last the entire year without any noticeable reduction in storage capacity. I replace them when new models come out (the people I give them to get at least another year out of the battery no problem).

Edit: Read: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Cubillox

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
Will iPad come out of the box with any battery charge?

We ordered an iPAD over the internet from Apple. It arrived 4 days after we ordered it (it came from China) and it had 97% charge in it when we opened the box. Cheers,

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Every i-device I've purchased over the years has had around 70% charge.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Every device with a battery (Apple or not) that I got in the past several years always had charge. Lots actually.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Mine is the iPad Pro 9.7 with 256 GB, wifi + 4G. Came sealed, and out of the box showed 64% of battery level. Found this strange at first, then did a little digging and read that's normal. BTW, I used an app that says there was no full cycle yet and 0% degradation. The same app showed that my iPad 4 used everyday since 2013 has 29% and 790 full cycles.

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
Mine is the iPad Pro 9.7 with 256 GB, wifi + 4G. Came sealed, and out of the box showed 64% of battery level. Found this strange at first, then did a little digging and read that's normal. BTW, I used an app that says there was no full cycle yet and 0% degradation. The same app showed that my iPad 4 used everyday since 2013 has 29% and 790 full cycles.

Wow way to raise a dead thread.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Never hurt any of my devices. If it is new build iPad it should have 50-75% in the battery. Both my iPad Pro units had around 75%. You do not need to charge to full before using. Just charge that night when you sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.