Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Man, Comic Zeal is up there, but it's $7.99.

Any other suggestions for a cbz/cbr reader?

I'm not discounting it due to price, just wondering if there is anything better?

rick98761

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
Kansas City, MO
It's the only .cbr reader on there. Looks like a great app, I loved it on the iphone. I have it downloaded and ready.

Man, Comic Zeal is up there, but it's $7.99.

Any other suggestions for a cbz/cbr reader?

I'm not discounting it due to price, just wondering if there is anything better?

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
It's the only .cbr reader on there. Looks like a great app, I loved it on the iphone. I have it downloaded and ready.

Comic Reader Mobi is there also for the iPad. It's a universal app so if you have it already as I do, you get a free upgrade. I made the mistake of also buying Comic Zeal at the same time to compare them on the iphone. Since there is a new iPad only version of it, I have to spend $7.99 if I want the iPad version as well. I guess it all evens out since Comic Reader Mobi was more expensive to begin with. Right now I am leaning towards Comic Reader Mobi as being the better iPhone app so I'll give it first try on the iPad.

PlayHard

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Also, if you wait a bit ComicBookLover is going to be releasing an app (although I thought for sure it would be available launch day).

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Also, if you wait a bit ComicBookLover is going to be releasing an app (although I thought for sure it would be available launch day).

I use ComicBookLover on the Mac. But I think from what I am reading the iPad app is in its early stages of development so it won't be as robust as the others.

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
I'm glad to hear that Comic Reader Mobi will be compatible with the iPad. I was originally skeptical about spending so much money on an iPhone app but am glad I did now!

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
I'm glad to hear that Comic Reader Mobi will be compatible with the iPad. I was originally skeptical about spending so much money on an iPhone app but am glad I did now!

Yeah the version has been updated and is now iPad compatiable although by reading developer's forum, you need to use the ftp route to get the files on the iPad. The developer said he will make it work by syncing the files once he gets his hands on an iPad and can test. Everyone has basically been developing blindly with the simulator until Saturday comes.

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
I use ComicBookLover on the Mac. But I think from what I am reading the iPad app is in its early stages of development so it won't be as robust as the others.

There's already a ComicBookLover iPhone app, which works very well. It reads cbz/cbr files and syncing with the desktop app was super easy. Best of all it's free.

According to his site...
ComicBookLover for iPad is under development along-side ComicBookLover for iPhone and iPod Touch.

I'm thinking it might launch soon.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
There's already a ComicBookLover iPhone app, which works very well. It reads cbz/cbr files and syncing with the desktop app was super easy. Best of all it's free.

According to his site...

I'm thinking it might launch soon.

Cool. I'll give it a shot then when it comes out on the iPad. I bought the Mac app because I liked it so much.

Bitgod

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Any new input now that the pad is out? I just picked up one today, so I'll have to get an app at some point. Mobi sounds good, but expensive. Though in the grand scheme of things, I don't mind paying for a really good app.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
I'm probably going to get Comic Book Reader Mobi due to it supporting ZIP and RAR files. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though...

jodorowsky00

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
I'm probably going to get Comic Book Reader Mobi due to it supporting ZIP and RAR files. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though...

Right now comic reader mobi is the best it reads cbr, cbz, rare, zip and PDF, comic zeal does not play any, it plays cbi and it's a drag to convert all your comics to low res and see them on your iPad pixelated.
Comicbooklover is the most buggy version of any comic book I've seen on the iPhone and it's not out for iPad.

jodorowsky00

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Yeah the version has been updated and is now iPad compatiable although by reading developer's forum, you need to use the ftp route to get the files on the iPad. The developer said he will make it work by syncing the files once he gets his hands on an iPad and can test. Everyone has basically been developing blindly with the simulator until Saturday comes.

No you can also sync it by iTunes, click on the iPad in iTunes, go to app tab in your iPad scroll Dow you will see you comic reader icon and a add button, drag your comics there

jodorowsky00

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Any new input now that the pad is out? I just picked up one today, so I'll have to get an app at some point. Mobi sounds good, but expensive. Though in the grand scheme of things, I don't mind paying for a really good app.

True, when you think about how much time your going to spend reading comic or mangas the price doesn't seem a issue any more.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
You don't really need special features read comics on iPad. CBZ/CBR are just a bunch of compressed JPGs/PNGs. You just need to decompress and display. Since the screens is so big you don't really need to zoom each panel.

Someone should be able to whip up a simple iPad CBZ/CBR comic reader in an afternoon.

It should be a free app or a $.99 app at most for a simple comic reader.

Critical Hippo

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Comic Zeal does a pretty good job if you don't mind the conversion. The WiFi sync is fairly quick. However, the author has not yet made good on his/her promise to update the converter to support the iPad's higher resolution. The .cbi files are acceptable right now, but zooming in can show just how unnecessarily low-res the files are. I'm loathe to spend $15 for comics reader mobi, but I may just take the plunge if another day goes by without an update to Comics Zeal.

jodorowsky00

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Comic Zeal does a pretty good job if you don't mind the conversion. The WiFi sync is fairly quick. However, the author has not yet made good on his/her promise to update the converter to support the iPad's higher resolution. The .cbi files are acceptable right now, but zooming in can show just how unnecessarily low-res the files are. I'm loathe to spend $15 for comics reader mobi, but I may just take the plunge if another day goes by without an update to Comics Zeal.

I have a formula for ever dollar I pen I should spend a hour with it and with comic reader mobi I'm sure to spend 100+.

I talked with the developer of Comicpad and he will have a Comicpad version with sync in iTunes, he is hard at work.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/889677/https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/889677/

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
What is a good app to read png files. I love naruto manga but all the files are in png format. Will these comic book reader do the trick?

jodorowsky00

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
What is a good app to read png files. I love naruto manga but all the files are in png format. Will these comic book reader do the trick?

There pgn because you didn't compress them . Zip them and then rename the zip to .cbz and put them in comic reader mobi. It also reads pgn, but it's better having them in a stack.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
That turquoise UI in the Comic Book Mobi app looks pretty damn awful, for that price they really should do something about that.
Still will probably get it at some point, hopefully it will go on sale down to $10 or something.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
iVerse Media should have out very soon its iVerse Comics reader for the iPad--and that means probably within a month subscribers to the Archie Digital service will be able to read the Archie Comics library.

In short, within six months the ability to buy the latest comics from Marvel, DC, etc. in digital form to read on your Mac, iPhone/iPod touch and iPad will become reality. This could be bad news for many comic book stores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.