Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Today I added a new member to my Mac family and became the proud owner of a 2.26GHz Mac mini, which will be used as a home theatre computer for my HDTV.

It's been great, but I noticed one significant problem.

I'm a usenet user, and on my MacBook Pro I download video at about 1.8MBps (not mbps, which my connection is at 15mbps) which is very fast and handy. I bought this Mac mini expecting it to be able to do the same, but even from when I first opened Safari, I noticed the pages took awhile to load.

Now that I'm using usenet, I notice I peak at 0.7MBps MAXIMUM but average at around 0.4MBps. What is the cause for such a discrepancy?

I'm on a 802.11n network as well, powered by an Apple Time Capsule in fact. My MacBook Pro has no internet troubles and is blazing fast, I'm not sure why this is being so slow.

olliea95

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Surrey, UK
I'm not very experienced with networking issues, but a thought is that the Mac Mini could have slower DNS settings than the macbook. Check the macbook's DNS settings from System Preferences -> Network -> Airport and see what DNS are listed. Check this on the mini also, and if they are different, select manual set up and copy the DNS addresses to it. Although this is only with Tiger, so it may be different in (Snow) Leopard.

Hope it helps.

olliea95

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Surrey, UK
Any devices, etc. near the Mac Mini that could cause signal interference?

Yeah it could be that. Try to plug in your Mini via ethernet, and if the speeds are as good as the macbook, then you know its interference issues. If its the same then it is most likely a software issue.

Daveago

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2012
Mini Mac slow network

I have the same issue. May PC's and a few mac's on network. The Mac mini is running windows 7 and so do some others. All systems but the mini are fast on network access. The only slow computer is the Mac mini. I'm sure it has to be NIC issues but can't find anything as of yet. Any ideas out there?

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
Today I added a new member to my Mac family and became the proud owner of a 2.26GHz Mac mini, which will be used as a home theatre computer for my HDTV.

It's been great, but I noticed one significant problem.

I'm a usenet user, and on my MacBook Pro I download video at about 1.8MBps (not mbps, which my connection is at 15mbps) which is very fast and handy. I bought this Mac mini expecting it to be able to do the same, but even from when I first opened Safari, I noticed the pages took awhile to load.

Now that I'm using usenet, I notice I peak at 0.7MBps MAXIMUM but average at around 0.4MBps. What is the cause for such a discrepancy?

I'm on a 802.11n network as well, powered by an Apple Time Capsule in fact. My MacBook Pro has no internet troubles and is blazing fast, I'm not sure why this is being so slow.

Are the Mac Mini and the MacBook Pro being tested from the same place? Have you run the speed tests back-to-back? Any chance something else on the network is occupying bandwidth when you're using the Mini?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.