Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Apr 2, 2010, 07:07 AM   #1
macusersince5
macrumors member

Virtual 10.6 machine

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone has had an success with running a virtual mac os 10.6 server in a virtual client like vm ware fusion 3. Snow leopard server is on the list for supported guest operating systems, but I can't find anyone who has tried it.

The other thing I am wondering is if I can run 10.6 server in virtual mode, how much of a performance hit will that be on a system like a quad or 8-core mac pro. I do a lot of video editing and use of after effects and can only afford to buy one machine, so I was thinking buy a 4core or 8-core machine to run my pro apps on and then have vm ware fusion 3 or something else run snow leopard server 24/7-365 so I can have a file share to move things around.

Do you guys think that is all possible?

Thanks, in advance!!
macusersince5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 01:52 AM   #2
andyboutte
macrumors member

I had it on my laptop for testing a week ago and it worked fine.

with day to day apps open it brought my machine to a crawl. I wouldn't really be to worried about 4 core v 8core but more about how much RAM you can through at the machine.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking