Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverickguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Ohio
I usually use safari...not sure if that means anything or not. Anyway, on my mac, when I want to reply to ads in craigslist, it automatically set up a connection to my gmail account which is fine. Heres the problem: i cant log off or get out. I can close it, but when i click on the stamp icon in on the mac desktop it pops up with all my emails right there--even after i "quit" mail. Then I shut down the comp and turned it back on and theres all my emails still--dont have to sign in or anything. I even tried deleting the password from the setup options. So how do I log off or out so that anyone just cant sit down and pull up my emails???

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
What you have done is setup mail to download your mail from the gmail servers. There is no "logout".

There are a few options:

1. Don't use Mac Mail, remove your account via Mail Preferences
2. Lock the computer, Keychain Access menu item
3. Log out of the computer
4. You can prevent users from seeing new emails by requiring the email password when Mail.app is run, although any mail that has been downloaded will still be available.

If you are in a multi-user environment, option 3 what you should be doing anyway. Multiple user accounts, when you are done, log out or go to the Login Window via the Fast User Switching menu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.