Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Since we had a member who did not have Cydia installed on his unlocked/jailbroken phone, I looked around for how to actually install it manually, if you didn't initially install Cydia while jailbreaking. I haven't found much. However, when you jailbreak using redsn0w, at least, it asks if you want to have redsn0w install Cydia. So, if you answered that with a No, what would you do if you later wanted Cydia or you made a mistake and clicked No? Just re-jailbreak? What would you do if you somehow deleted Cydia (like one person today) or Cydia got messed up somehow?

I did find this, but not sure if it works:

http://iphoneworld.codinghut.com/2009/08/installing-cydia-over-ssh/

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
I thought we could reinstall cydia by running redsnow again. Dev Team said that when you re-run redsnow, make sure to uncheck the 'install cydia' option, or cydia will lose track of what has been installed. I am guessing that this means a new cydia is installed over the previous one.

How does one go about deleting cydia completely anyway, because even CyDelete wont let you remove cydia? SSH?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I thought we could reinstall cydia by running redsnow again. Dev Team said that when you re-run redsnow, make sure to uncheck the 'install cydia' option, or cydia will lose track of what has been installed. I am guessing that this means a new cydia is installed over the previous one.

How does one go about deleting cydia completely anyway, because even CyDelete wont let you remove cydia? SSH?

You are supposed to be able to run Redsn0w to install Cydia, just have to check the already jailbroken box so Redsn0w doesn't try to re-JB the phone.

And one should never re-install Cydia over an older version as it will screw up the database for the installed packages as previous poster stated.

You can delete Cydia (or try to delete it, I have never been able to get it to uninstall completely) using mobile terminal.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
You are supposed to be able to run Redsn0w to install Cydia, just have to check the already jailbroken box so Redsn0w doesn't try to re-JB the phone.

And one should never re-install Cydia over an older version as it will screw up the database for the installed packages as previous poster stated.

You can delete Cydia (or try to delete it, I have never been able to get it to uninstall completely) using mobile terminal.

Thanks that answered my question. Also, thanks for the other info, because I might have tried to do that, if for some reason I lost Cydia. I don't know how people do that in the first place though. However, you can delete it with Cydelete, if you uncheck the box for Cydia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.