Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:17 AM   #1
swarmster
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Needed - a way to only sync iPad and Universal apps

You really have to de-select all of the iPhone apps manually when syncing? Does anyone see a way to filter only iPad-native stuff, or are we going to have to wait for iTunes 9.2?
swarmster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:39 AM   #2
DreamPod
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Well, since all iPhone apps work on the iPad, I think most people will want all their apps synced, native or not. And that's probably what Apple was thinking.
DreamPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:43 AM   #3
yyoo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
That's going to be a pain. I've got more many more apps than will fit on the 11 screens that Apple limits you to.
yyoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:48 AM   #4
rorschach
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Why don't you deselect everything to sart and then only check the iPad apps yourself, since there are a lot less of them.
__________________
MacBook Air 13-inch (Mid 2012), iPhone 6
rorschach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:54 AM   #5
BruiserBear
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, Illinois
I was actually wondering about this very thing earlier today. I figured they had to give you the option to just sync iPad specific apps only.

I can't believe they didn't offer that option. Seems like an obvious mistake.
BruiserBear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:58 AM   #6
swarmster
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
Why don't you deselect everything to sart and then only check the iPad apps yourself, since there are a lot less of them.
Well that's basically what I did, but note that there's no 'check/uncheck all' option that I can see, either, so you're still clicking through all of them.

(Posted from my iPad, btw, woo!!!)
swarmster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 01:25 PM   #7
xStatiCa
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Bad assumption I think. I have 1399 apps in my itunes. I keep a few hundred on my iphone. I only want ipad apps on my ipad with only a few that are iphone only. It took me almost 2 hours to go through all of them and manually uncheck all the ones I didn't want.

What made it worse is that I had already downloaded about 50 ipad apps in itunes. The only way to know which ones were for the ipad in the app check/uncheck sync list was to manually go to the main app list where it shows you which are ipad native and write all the names of the ipad apps down. I was then able to find them in the app check/uncheck sync list.

Ideally I would like an option for ipads to only automatically sync new ipad apps. The apps i download for my iphone 95% of the time I will only want them on the iphone.

This is the first release of itunes for ipad so I am sure they will improve this over time... I sure hope so anyway.
xStatiCa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 01:33 PM   #8
jontucker
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post
I have 1399 apps in my itunes
Why WHy WHy WHy WHY WHY why why why etc
__________________
24" iMac Alu 3.06Ghz 4Gb 1Tb - 15" MacBook Pro 2.53Ghz 4Gb 320Gb - TV(x2)
1Tb Time capsule - 4Tb Drobo
60Gb iPod video - 32Gb iPhone 3G S⃣
jontucker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 02:16 PM   #9
thelordnyax
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontucker View Post
Why WHy WHy WHy WHY WHY why why why etc
Why WHy WHy WHy WHY WHY why why why NOT?
thelordnyax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 02:34 PM   #10
bluehaze013
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
I just deleted all my iPhone apps after it synced them and haven't had a problem. I do have to say though the iPhone apps look absolutely horrible on the iPad I deletednthem all because I consider them unusable.
bluehaze013 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 02:38 PM   #11
hchavarria
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I didn't mind the initial sync. I actually wanted the apps I had on my phone t be on my ipad native or not. When I first plugged it in it asked if I wanted to restore from my iPhones backup. Anyone try this?
hchavarria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 02:38 PM   #12
JazzFlight
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post
Bad assumption I think. I have 1399 apps in my itunes. I keep a few hundred on my iphone. I only want ipad apps on my ipad with only a few that are iphone only. It took me almost 2 hours to go through all of them and manually uncheck all the ones I didn't want.

What made it worse is that I had already downloaded about 50 ipad apps in itunes. The only way to know which ones were for the ipad in the app check/uncheck sync list was to manually go to the main app list where it shows you which are ipad native and write all the names of the ipad apps down. I was then able to find them in the app check/uncheck sync list.

Ideally I would like an option for ipads to only automatically sync new ipad apps. The apps i download for my iphone 95% of the time I will only want them on the iphone.

This is the first release of itunes for ipad so I am sure they will improve this over time... I sure hope so anyway.
There is an uncheck all option. I think if you click a checkbox while holding either ctrl or shift... one of those worked. Then I just added the apps I wanted. Hope this helps.
JazzFlight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 02:41 PM   #13
hchavarria
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehaze013 View Post
I just deleted all my iPhone apps after it synced them and haven't had a problem. I do have to say though the iPhone apps look absolutely horrible on the iPad I deletednthem all because I consider them unusable.
I was actually glad this works the way it does and not forced to loose graphics. I also like the ability to zoom if I desire too.
hchavarria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:48 PM   #14
JoelMarcey
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern California
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzFlight View Post
There is an uncheck all option. I think if you click a checkbox while holding either ctrl or shift... one of those worked. Then I just added the apps I wanted. Hope this helps.
It is command and clicking on the checkbox, but thank you so much for this tip. I was going crazy having to click them all to deselect.
__________________
iMac 27" i5 w/ 12GB RAM; 13" MBA (2010); iPhone 5 32GB Black; First Gen 16GB WiFi iPad; Apple TV 2nd Gen; A Couple of 2nd gen iPod shuffles;
JoelMarcey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:00 PM   #15
r0k
macrumors 68040
 
r0k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Detroit
I don't want all my iPod touch apps on my iPad. Wouldn't that turn it into a giant iPod touch? I want different apps on it. Some overlap but mostly different apps. Apple really hasn't thought this through very well. After connecting my iPad to my Mac and picking transfer purchases in iTunes, i wound up with 700meg of apps all run together. I would rather have folders organized by device. One with all my iPod touch stuff and one with all my iPad stuff and i don't mind one bit if there is some duplication.
__________________
-r0k
Macbook Pro (late 2011) + iPad mini + iPhone5 + (GS4 for work)
Got a scan to ftp scanner? Enable ftpd in Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite!
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iWork/iLife not Universal apps? ra4oasis iOS 7 5 Nov 22, 2013 12:06 PM
How to tell Universal Apps? makotoisle iOS 7 6 Jul 22, 2013 09:05 AM
Capture 365 Journal PRO (iPhone 5 support, iCloud sync, Universal) Sockii iPhone and iPod touch Apps 10 Feb 11, 2013 03:56 AM
Capture 365 Journal PRO (iCloud sync, Retina ready, Universal) Sockii iPad Apps 2 Sep 12, 2012 10:14 PM
ipad having trouble sync apps tbluhp iPad 0 Jul 8, 2012 04:19 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC