Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
What if I buy a 3G iPad in the U.S. for the UK? I know they're not locked, but when in the UK how would it work?

As far as I know you go the settings app and can purchase a 30 day data plan from AT&T. How would that work in the UK? Would it know I was in the UK and show UK providers instead? :confused:

And what about if I were to buy one in the UK and go to the U.S.?

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
I also am intrigued about this. I am currently in Eastern Europe and I use a vodafone broadband modem with a SIM card inside to get 3G internet with my macbook air. Would I be able to just put the sim straight into the iPad and it would auto-connect?

Would be awesome if so.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
I also am intrigued about this. I am currently in Eastern Europe and I use a vodafone broadband modem with a SIM card inside to get 3G internet with my macbook air. Would I be able to just put the sim straight into the iPad and it would auto-connect?

Would be awesome if so.

It would be a likely yes if the iPad didn't use a SMALLER sim (microsim). You could cut the sim smaller and it would possibly work, but I doubt you'd want to do that :D

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
will there be some kind of workaround to make a microSIM from a regular sim? I reckon the companies offering mobile broadband like Vodafone, t-mobile, tele2 etc, will charge a premium for microsims as they'll know they're for the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.