Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
This is the kind of device Apple will always be looking to price as affordably as possible, so I'm certain there will always be a version lacking 3G in order to keep costs- and in turn, price- down.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
absolutely not

apple does like switch to plastic though......after they prove the product at a premium, they switch to lower cost plastic backing to get better profits and lowers the cost

i can't wait for a sub $400 iPad

dougb256

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
I'm hoping there will be an app that turns that iPhone into a WiFi hotspot :) No need for a 3G iPad then!

lotusindigo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
I don't like the big black strip in the back. So I hope not. I don't want them to switch to plastic, either. I like my aluminum Macbook, I was glad that the iPad was aluminum, and I wish that the iPhone was also aluminum. I'm a girl, I like things to match. If they want to provide a choice of plastic, good for them so long as they don't get rid of the aluminum.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
It takes a special person to pay for the internet THREE different times in 1 month. Home, Cell, iPad.

There will always be a wi-fi only version for those that got those things called responsibilities.

hundleton1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
Wales UK
absolutely not

apple does like switch to plastic though......after they prove the product at a premium, they switch to lower cost plastic backing to get better profits and lowers the cost

i can't wait for a sub $400 iPad

im suppressed they never went with plastic to start with, heat from the massive batteries perhaps?

i prefer my 3GS plastic back compared to the original Iphone

lotusindigo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
^^ I don't think it makes sense to pay for a data plan twice, either... but to be fair, you don't actually have to have the data plan to OWN a 3F/WiFi iPad, do you?

epi117

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2010
I went to the coffee shop this am in Beaverton and everyone and their mother was on a laptop with wifi, I don’t see that changing with the ipad.

People love wifi, 3G is not the end all.

The difference is that the ipad for messing around in coffee shop is one sweet piece of electronic.

lotusindigo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
im suppressed they never went with plastic to start with, heat from the massive batteries perhaps?

Apple likes to tout green. The aluminum is more eco-friendly.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008

At first I didn't like the switch to plastic, but now I think it's better.....lighter....cheaper......better connection.....there's just too many good things about plastic

lotusindigo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
At first I didn't like the switch to plastic, but now I think it's better.....lighter....cheaper......better connection.....there's just too many good things about plastic

Yeah, it only further depletes our diminishing supply of fossil fuels.

hundleton1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
Wales UK

and Aluminium is better,

Foundry to smelt it, (running on gas,oil or electric, then eletric = Gas or Oil )
Distribute it on lorries ( oil)
Mill it (again Electric = Oil or Gas)

Plastic is far more eco friendly

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008

anyone that buys luxury products to begin with have a difficult time arguing about being green, but I still think plastic is more green in this case. I respect your opinion

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
If anything, it is more likely that Apple will discontinue 3G version. Just look at their laptops. Besides, college students being the majority of the buyers: they have wi-fi on campus and they do not have money for 3G.

lotusindigo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
and Aluminium is better,

Foundry to smelt it, (running on gas,oil or electric, then eletric = Gas or Oil )
Distribute it on lorries ( oil)
Mill it (again Electric = Oil or Gas)

Plastic is far more eco friendly

Wrong wrong.

Plastic produces toxic waste in its mining and manufacture. It also uses vast amounts of fossil fuels, even further diminishing our supply of fossil fuels. Most plastics don't get recycled, as opposed to 60% of aluminum products. Apple chooses aluminum in its "eco-friendly" lines of products for a reason.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I don't see wifi getting dropped.

If it does it'll be the day the 3G version is available on all carriers which I don't see happening.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
I actually think it will go the other way; 3G or other cell-capable iPads will go away in favor of tethering options on phones.

The Palm Pre is now advertising itself as a wifi hotspot, and there will be continual pressure on AT&T to provide some sort of cross-over service between the iPHone and the iPad. I will not pay AT&T twice to carry two devices that have the same service, and will look to jump ship to another carrier if AT&T continues this practice.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Wrong wrong.

Plastic produces toxic waste in its mining and manufacture. It also uses vast amounts of fossil fuels, even further diminishing our supply of fossil fuels. Most plastics don't get recycled, as opposed to 60% of aluminum products. Apple chooses aluminum in its "eco-friendly" lines of products for a reason.

http://www.apple.com/environment/

they have a recycling plan. but buying a luxury device in-and-of-itself is not eco-friendly.

lotusindigo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
http://www.apple.com/environment/

they have a recycling plan. but buying a luxury device in-and-of-itself is not eco-friendly.

So you're arguing that buying a crap product would be more eco-friendly? How so? A low-quality product has a higher chance of breaking and needing to be replaced with a new one, using up more resources. Plus the manufacturers of non-luxury devices probably doesn't have environmentalism in mind.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
I don't see wifi getting dropped.

If it does it'll be the day the 3G version is available on all carriers which I don't see happening.

1. The 3G version isn't locked.
2. No contract is required. You can put any SIM in there.
3. You don't have to get the 3G service.

The 3G iPad is currently $129 more expensive than the Wifi version. The only reason Apple have a wifi-only version is because it means they can sell the iPad for $499 at launch. Once the 3G radio becomes cheaper to put in the iPad, and the price difference becomes negligible, how long is it really going to remain advantageous for them to maintain two different versions?

I can also see people choosing to buy the 3G version over the Wifi version once the price gap closes... I mean why not? It's only $15/month for a data plan (probably cheaper in Europe) and you can cancel any time.

The WifiPad is going to the way of the 2GB iPhone :)

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
So you're arguing that buying a crap product would be more eco-friendly? How so? A low-quality product has a higher chance of breaking and needing to be replaced with a new one, using up more resources. Plus the manufacturers of non-luxury devices probably doesn't have environmentalism in mind.

I'm arguing that buying no products and being content with what you already have is more eco-friendly. Look at the natives in south America. They don't have computers and are perfectly happy and eco-friendly. We, however, argue about our new shiny luxury products being eco-friendly.

It's not a jab at you. It's a jab at our consumption lifestyle. I'm typing this on a first gen white macbook. I haven't upgraded since many years ago because I think that's the best way to spend my money and better way to be eco-friendly. I still drive a '95 Honda that gets better gas mileage than most new cars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.