Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Inkmonkey said:
That's kind of gross. What's next? Pubes? Can I say "pubes" here?

Guess so... :)

Anyway, I can't bring myself to click on the link - this just sounds disgusting, and actually looking at it will fuse it into my mind, which I really don't need.

I don't even like to hear someone else using the clippers.

Ugg.

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
being an active toenail-clipper myself i can safely say - this sounds kind of silly...

but don't worry about the link being unbearably discusting. It's kind of dissapointing, no pics of the nails and the rest of the art-stuff looks kind of nice!

And btw - what's so gross about a bit of cut off toenails - we all have them...mmm...had...they're just as natural as cut off fingernails, or...the fluffy stuff you find in your belly button that you don't have a word for in english... or the tiny tiny little thingies you leave behind that forensics use to prove you're the killer...

RugoseCone

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2002
I thought of it first!

I actually saved my finger and toenail clippings for a little over a year whilst in college. Filled up a small prescription drug bottle with them. It's about an inch in diameter and two inches tall. Still got it around here somewhere.

Seemed like a good idea at the time and made for a rather interesting conversation piece. I had planned on using them for a project in one of my painting classes, just never got around to it...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
RugoseCone said:
I actually saved my finger and toenail clippings for a little over a year whilst in college. Filled up a small prescription drug bottle with them. It's about an inch in diameter and two inches tall. Still got it around here somewhere.

Seemed like a good idea at the time and made for a rather interesting conversation piece. I had planned on using them for a project in one of my painting classes, just never got around to it...

I was disappointed that he didn't show any of his work.

I would encourage you to give it a try. It will be quite a conversation piece. Hopefully you will post a picture of your work. I think that a creative individual could do a lot with the subject matter.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
mcadam said:
...the fluffy stuff you find in your belly button that you don't have a word for in english...

You're talking about bellybutton-lint. That's the word for it.

This is an interesting exhibition. Surprised more people haven't condemned it yet... people absolutely *hate* it when people do weird things for art. Like that guy that made a suit out of rotting meat.

Wonder what people would say of *my* half-finished sculptures i'm working on. Probably enough people would hate them... so i can't justify anything but respect for this guy...

edit: to clarify, none of mine are made of rotting meat. Or toenails.

paul

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
wdlove said:
I was disappointed that he didn't show any of his work.

I would encourage you to give it a try. It will be quite a conversation piece. Hopefully you will post a picture of your work. I think that a creative individual could do a lot with the subject matter.

Would you like to see my pube art too? Maybe I'll start working on that. Where is that vacuum cleaner...
;)

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
If you think that is bad then this other article is just sick.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3657582.stm

DON'T READ THIS IF YOU ARE AN ANIMAL LOVER AND SENSITIVE.

Its about 3 artists you killed a cat and then made a documentary about it.
There are no gory pictures on the page but its not exactly a pleasant read.

I'm a great believer in art but sometimes I do wonder.

Recently I wrote on another forum about a piece of art in a famous museum here in Cambridge (UK) - the work is a sheet of paper with the word 'c**t' on it.

I paint myself (often abstract) but I just cannot compete with this intellectual
art.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
oh no! don't mention ingrown toenails!! :eek:

or maybe you could make a movie about that.. like Aliens, but instead of chest-bursting, there's side-of-big-toe bursting, with the spur (is that what you call it? the ingrown part of the nail?) busting throught the side of the toe!! :eek:

or a painting with some guy in a confined space, his foot near his head, and the ingrown nail coming through the side of his toe, almost coming into his face. :eek:

sorry, i've just made this even more gross. :eek:

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
paulwhannel said:
You're talking about bellybutton-lint. That's the word for it.

nice, thanks paul - i have, honestly, been wondering about that for years...

paulwhannel said:
Wonder what people would say of *my* half-finished sculptures i'm working on.

RugoseCone said:

we wanna seeee!! :D

...I think the main problems w art like this stuff is that a lot of it's actual and more interesting meaning seem to drown in the completely predictable reactions from people who gets provoked by it...

Especially when animals are involved...tsss - for some artists it also seem like a very easy way to get attention! Animal rights activists are sooo easy...and media so willing to tag along...

RugoseCone

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2002
I'll try and dig up my bottle o' toenails for all to enjoy. As for turning them into an art project, I wouldn't bother. I'm much more highbrow than that now.

Paul, I think you should post pictures of your sculptures. I studied sculpture at university and rec'd my Bachelor of Arts in that speciality. I think most here are open minded enough to look at your work without too much criticism. Other than the constructive sort that is...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Chappers said:
If you think that is bad then this other article is just sick.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3657582.stm

DON'T READ THIS IF YOU ARE AN ANIMAL LOVER AND SENSITIVE.

Its about 3 artists you killed a cat and then made a documentary about it.
There are no gory pictures on the page but its not exactly a pleasant read.

I paint myself (often abstract) but I just cannot compete with this intellectual
art.

I saw that article earlier, it is such an unspeakable act of cruelity. Just can't imagine how a person could live with themselves. Must be a lack of moral fiber,

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1095199811617

http://freeanimals.org/~kensington/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.