Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Apr 3, 2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

do the new imacs sd card reader work with sdhc?

Does anyone know if the new imac sd card readers on the side of the machine work with the new sdhc and sdxc cards?
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 02:06 PM   #2
spinnerlys

Which SD card formats work in the SD card slot?

Cards that conform to the SD 1.x and 2.x standards should work. The SD card slot can use cards that are Standard SD (Secure Digital) 4 MB to 4 GB and SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) 4 GB to 32 GB. MMC can also be used in this slot. MiniSD, MicroSD, and higher density formats like MiniSDHC and MicroSDHC can also work with the use of "passive" adapters that conform to the width and thickness specifications listed above.

from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3553
via http://www.google.com/search?client=...5WVG5OXOOGzqFM
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 04:56 PM   #3
jemeinc
macrumors 6502a

This is probably a REALLY stoopid question but I'm used to plugging my camera in and getting my pics into iPhoto via a USB cable- this iMac is the first mac I've owned with an SD slot- but what about an xD Picture card? I have an Olympus FE-370 with a 2GB xD picture card that I use for our point & shoot & I was wondering if this card works or not?.. I checked both of those links as well as the page for this camera on Olympus' site and couldn't come up with anything.. I didn't want to force the card into the slot on the iMac and do any damage..

I know, dumb question, but the SD reader is new to me.. Thanks for any help..
jemeinc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

I have the same type of camera. Those cards do not work in the sd slots unless someone invented an adapter to do so. I have a special usb reader that i put the olympic card into and that plugs into any usb port. Its possible someone invented an adapter that the xd card plugs into and then that goes into the sd card slot but I haven't seen one yet.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice