Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

20vturbo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
You can speed up or slow down the voice. But I don't see any other voice options.

20vturbo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
Nice to know thanx

The speed of the voice in your video would be too fast for me

You can slow it down more but whats going to make me take back the Ipad is

A.) I have to turn each page b/c it won't just keep reading (bad for driving) and B.) I can't get voiceover to work at all in the kindle app. :confused:

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
You can slow it down more but whats going to make me take back the Ipad is

A.) I have to turn each page b/c it won't just keep reading (bad for driving) and B.) I can't get voiceover to work at all in the kindle app. :confused:

I hope this is not Apple's way of making us want to buy a upgrade!

LaNex

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
I hope this is not Apple's way of making us want to buy a upgrade!

The lack of VO support for the Kindle app (not tried it myself, but I believe it isn't compatible with VoiceOver) isn't Apple's fault - developers have to make the effort to make their ipad (or iphone or mac osx) apps compatible with accessibility features. If they can't be arsed / won't (Elgato, I'm thinking of you here you lazy butt ends), then there's nit Apple can do about it. Email Amazon and get onto them about it is the best bet.

Could some one help me out with a quick question here. How big do the fonts go in iBooks ? A pic would be great if anyone can manage it.
TIA.

LaNex

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Here are my earlier instructions for iPhone for text-to-speech in any app.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/794126/

Here is how you use it on the iPad with iBooks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5kLiRxuuq0

~ CB

Just looked at your ibooks demo... Just a thought - as visually impaired users might also be interested in voiceover on the iPad (lol - makes me laugh to say that - them's who it was actually designed for in the first place afterall - sighted folks are now getting to make use of the features as well in the case of ibooks), you might consider explaining what you are doing as you do it in this video ? i.e. Tell us what gestures you are using when, and so on ?
Sighted folks are going to be able to see what you're doing in the video, non sighted won't. I've lost count of the voiceover videos demos I've found, thinking it would explain how to do what, which basically end up being useless to anyone visually impaired as there's no hint of what the person is doing other than the voiceover prompts, which out of context don't mean much.

There is an Apple manual explaining how to use voiceover of course, but it's hard to "get" if you don't have to device in front of you. Real world video demos are often more helpful in the case of accessibility features - if they've got someone explaining what they're doing. ;)

Or is this demo just for sighted people taking advantage of voiceover ? lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.