Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lonman06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Is there anyway of paying an upgrade fee for apps I have already purchased or do I have to pay full price for the same app again?

Thanks

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
Is there anyway of paying an upgrade fee for apps I have already purchased or do I have to pay full price for the same app again?

Thanks

You need to pay the full price for the iPad specific app. Some applications have a universal binary where the one app is optimized for both the iPad and iphone/ipod. But most of the big applications are separate and require repurchasing them.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
You need to pay the full price for the iPad specific app. Some applications have a universal binary where the one app is optimized for both the iPad and iphone/ipod. But most of the big applications are separate and require repurchasing them.

noooo

you can run iphone apps at native size or full screen (which may be pixelated)

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
But what about apps for example, IM+. It has an iPhone version and an iPad specific version. Do you have to buy both if you want it for the iPhone and iPad

If you look at the iTunes store listing for IM+, it is only listed one time.

The single listing contains info and screenshots for both the iPhone and iPad versions. This means that if you already own the iPhone version, you get the iPad version free.

If it were listed as two separate apps, ie IM+ and IM+ HD, you would have to buy the iPad version too.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
Anything in app purchased has to be repurchased. My COD map is not there. Nor can I buy the new map on the iPad. It will not connect to the store in the app.

SgtP3pp3r

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
Honduras
What about Numbers? I bought it for the iPod Touch for on the go editing and controls. Can anyone tell me if I'm going to have to repurchase Numbers to get it on an iPad?

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
What about Numbers? I bought it for the iPod Touch for on the go editing and controls. Can anyone tell me if I'm going to have to repurchase Numbers to get it on an iPad?

You can check the App Store and under the app description it will tell you the requirements and compatibility.

aggieastrosfan

macrumors member
May 28, 2011
It depends on the app.

I try to browse for apps on my iPad, because I can easily tell if they're compatible for both or not. If there's a + in the upper left corner of the box containing the price, the app works on both devices and doesn't require a repurchase. I bought the permium version of Docs to Go on my iPad and was able to install it on my iPhone without paying again. Quickoffice was not only more expensive, but it has separate versions for the iPad and iPhone, which factored into my decision of which one to get.

In the App Store on your iPad, you can go to the purchased tab and see all the apps you've ever downloaded. In the top right there's a toggle for iPad/iPhone. Select iPad and it'll show you all the apps you've already downloaded that are compatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.