Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ines

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2004
London
Hi, I have G3 ibook, and need your help with ...

I got an Airport card and Airport Express. I can get the green light to show and under network it says its connected to the internet (NTL broadband). But safari or exchange cant find the server? Does anyone know what to do?

I got airtunes working, but nearly blew my amp and speakers! It was so loud and for some reason I cant lower the volume much? :confused:

As I bought it from Apple UK, can I call them and get them to talk me through what to do. I called NTL broadband help and they wont help with wireless products (typical)!

thanks
Ines

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
As long as you still have AppleCare on your iBook then Apple will help you through it. Otherwise you'll probably have to pay for them to walk you through. AppleCare includes support for not only your computer, but also the display, AirPort Extreme Base Station, and AirPort Extreme Card. Once the warranty runs out and you don't re-up it, then you cannot buy AppleCare for it ever again as far as I know.

I would directly connect your cable connection to your iBook and see if its actually working. Just because when you plug it into your base station and you get a connection light, doesn't necessarily mean its working properly.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
To turn down the volume, you need to use the little volume slider in iTunes (under the play button), rather than the volume buttons on the iBook - these control your computer speaker volume, which is bypassed by Airtunes.

As for connecting to the internet, how are you set up? Do you have a router connected to the express basestation? Could you connect before you put the basestation in the equation, or is the whole setup new?

Cheers
Gee

Ines

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2004
London
Hi before airport I just plugged the ethernet cable into the ibook straight from the cable set-top box. So I plugged that into the airport express but no luck!
thanks for your help

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
Ines said:
Hi before airport I just plugged the ethernet cable into the ibook straight from the cable set-top box. So I plugged that into the airport express but no luck!
thanks for your help

I havent used airport express yet, so I dont know a solution for that volume problem on airtunes, but, I have the same problem of "green light, no connection" with my surecom wi-fi adapter and the problem is 90% about DNS Servers numbers in System Pref/Network/TCP-IP.. sometimes airport gets them automatically, but sometimes you have to enter them by yourself.. DNS numbers are usually something like this 212.xxx..

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
i have configured 3 airport express' last week. i would say, i am quite an expert with the airport express' by now :p

id suggest, you write down in detail, what you have done to configure your airport express.

I have and iBook and AE as well, when moving house the other week I had various problems setting my system up. In the end I followed the below steps.

1: Attach iBook directly to broadband line in, and confirm that I was able to get access to the net

2: plug in AE and used the reset switch.... gave it some time to boot up

3: connected BB line in to AE

4: Run the AE setup assistant selecting the option to configure a new base unit.

Worked fine after that....

iSaint

macrumors 603
Danrose1977 said:
2: plug in AE and used the reset switch.... gave it some time to boot up

I had some issues getting my AE to give me a connection out of the box, so I ended up calling Apple. They were very helpful and to the point.

The only thing I would add to the above is (what Apple told me to do) unplug the AE, hold down the reset switch and keep holding it down while you plug it back in to the wall. Continue to hold the reset switch down until you get four green-light flashes on your AE. Then release rthe reset. Wait about 45-60 seconds then run Airport Express Setup Assistant.

From time-to-time I lose my connection, and I have to go in to AE Setup Asst and modify existing setup. I make no changes but the AE reboots and everything's fine.

I bought a single surge protector for my AE in case of a storm while I am not home. What other precautions are people taking to protect their Apple gear?

stoid

macrumors 601
Cable internet systems are notorious for getting confused when they are plugged into a different system. Call the Cable company and tell them your problem, and they should be able to reset the DNS mechanism on the modem remotely, which I've found is the only way to get it working.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
You should just power off the cable modem for a few seconds, connect the AE unit, make sure its turned on and then turn on the cable modem.

Cable modems "attach" themselves to particular MAC (Ethernet) addresses and assign IPs to each MAC address. So if you plug in an AE unit instead of your iBook, the cable modem won't recognize that device without resetting.

This happens on my cable internet connection which is currently running through a Linksys router, but when the cable guy set it up I only had my G4 connected to the cable modem (some cable companies may have restrictions against multiple devices on one cable connection, which is silly since they advertise being online and playing online video games via consoles as part of their service ads).

Just make sure all the AirPort stuff is powered on and connected and cycle the power on the cable modem or DSL modem or whatever it is you have. Give it a few seconds to get all configured and try the Internet on the iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.