Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azcoyote

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Just thought I'd share a tip if you're thinking about getting a tabletop stand for your new iPad...
I realized today I definitely have a need to have an iPad stand for my kitchen table and one for my desk at work. I thought the iPad dock would work well as a desk stand until I started reading on this forum that it doesn't work with the Apple iPad case! DOH! Having to remove the case every time I want to place the iPad on the dock would not be ideal. That case is a pain to remove. Also, the dock only lets you mount the iPad vertically. If I wanted to flip the iPad horizontal for watching videos, I'd have to take the iPad off the dock and put the case back on. No thanks! So I ruled out using the dock. I have a dock being shipped from the online Apple store, but I'm just going to send it back. I did buy the Apple case at the Apple Store this afternoon.

On the way home I stopped by a Jo Ann Fabric and Crafts store to look for a cheap stand that might work with the iPad. I found one that works quite well. It's a medium-sized plastic easel made by Tripar. Below are the link to this item online and photos of how it looks with the iPad. It's not the most elegant stand. But it's dirt cheap! Can't beat $2.99! I'd rather spend money on apps than an overpriced 3rd party stand. In case you're wondering, you can definitely use the iPad while it's on the stand. The stand has a coated support wire that the iPad leans against, so you can put pressure on the iPad without worrying about it tipping over.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd792010

826869530_afKgN-M.jpg

826869913_wZUDy-M.jpg

826869733_eiv5n-M.jpg

826870067_oEEQW-M.jpg

826869319_NV7WN-M.jpg

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Definately looks moddable with a bench grinder (the stand that is) I'd trim down those gigantic "hooks" in the front, almost look dangerous lol

azcoyote

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Definately looks moddable with a bench grinder (the stand that is) I'd trim down those gigantic "hooks" in the front, almost look dangerous lol

The hooks in the front are pretty harmless. :) I think I'm going to go back to Jo Ann's and pick up at least a couple more of these stands, now that I know it works. Need one for my desk at work, and one for the coffee table next to the couch. They're cheap enough that I get multiple and not have to move one stand from place to place.

azcoyote

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Why not just use the case horizontally with the built in stand feature and plug a cable in?

Sure, you could use the built-in stand feature of the case. I was just demonstrating that you can use this easel to set your iPad horizontal as well as vertical. Not everyone is buying the Apple case. I'll probably end up using this stand more often to set the iPad horizontal. It'll be quicker to flip the iPad on its side and reseat on the easel, rather than spend the extra time to fold back the case.

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
Wish I read this yesterday and I would have picked up one for sure. I like the way the bottom doesn't interfere with the screen.

azcoyote

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Wish I read this yesterday and I would have picked up one for sure. I like the way the bottom doesn't interfere with the screen.

The bezel has a purpose after all. Otherwise the stand would covering part of the screen.

soch

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
portland
usb connector & stand

Most of the book/plate stands won't work for iPad when the USB connector is plugged in. So I designed one using Maple wood & slip resistant pads. Here's the link for details. It is very sturdy & doesn't move on multiple touches to iPad.

Attachments

• P1010654.JPG
    P1010654.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 235

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Most of the book/plate stands won't work for iPad when the USB connector is plugged in. So I designed one using Maple wood & slip resistant pads. Here's the link for details. It is very sturdy & doesn't move on multiple touches to iPad.

How about cutting a slot in the bottom so the cable disappears out the back!?

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Not mine, but my brother has 2 of these whatchamacallits....this one's from Veronica Belmont's Flickr

4490601295_a0b00fb622_b.jpg

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not mine, but my brother has 2 of these whatchamacallits....this one's from Veronica Belmont's Flickr

4490601295_a0b00fb622_b.jpg

Hah that's great and the best thing is that the iPad is likely running warm and the cat would absolutely love it.

kevin86

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2007
I think this may be the first time I'm saying this in my life but, I'm stopping at Joann Fabric on my way home!!

Nice job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.