Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:31 PM   #326
thujjku
macrumors newbie

I learned quite a bit today, thank you all for your contributions.
thujjku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:04 AM   #327
macanaw
macrumors newbie

Special hidden letters by swiping up

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper07 View Post
These are top tip's guy's very useful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila333 View Post
As well as swiping up on the exclamation mark, comma mark to get an apostrophe you can also swipe up on the question mark, full stop key to get quotation marks.
Also, you can get special versions of the letter 'a' by swiping up on it.
macanaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:27 AM   #328
macness
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarboysDesire View Post
To prevent pages from reloading in Safari surf with your left hand only.

ETA: if you normally surf with your left hand, use your right hand.

It's magical. It knows the difference.
i'm confused?? why would it be reloading?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:17 PM   #329
Kornel1981
macrumors newbie

Hello!
I would like to buy iPad 3 or 4 on next week. I've a lot of mkv. file. How can I copy or sync these files to iPad?

Last edited by Kornel1981; Feb 2, 2013 at 04:25 PM.
Kornel1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:27 PM   #330
loock57
macrumors newbie

Question ipad 2

So what to DO?
Updates do or don't. I just can't figure it out any help out there
you can call me dazed & lol
loock57 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:47 AM   #331
torontowriter
macrumors newbie

Cool tips for iPad beginners

If you're a beginner like most in this thread there's a reddit post. It showcases how to use the ipad through a quick online ipad tutorial --plus it's from Silicon Valley so it's pretty legit.
torontowriter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:24 AM   #332
Terriraye
macrumors newbie

Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpoore89 View Post
Thank you so much. Having to hit the numbers/symbols button every time I needed an apostrophe was ridiculous!! This trick will be super handy!!!
Doing same on ?. Makes quotation mark "
Terriraye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 08:33 AM   #333
TaylorMatsu
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornel1981 View Post
Hello!
I would like to buy iPad 3 or 4 on next week. I've a lot of mkv. file. How can I copy or sync these files to iPad?
To convert videos to mp4 I use a program called "handbrake"

Convert on the computer and then transfer over via iTunes in the movies tab
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:30 AM   #334
Bbafett
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMatsu View Post
To convert videos to mp4 I use a program called "handbrake"

Convert on the computer and then transfer over via iTunes in the movies tab
Just an idea but I also use Handbrake to convert videos into a format for my ipad mini/iphone and if you use the Apple TV3 format in Handbrake it will allow you to put them in a format that works on ipad mini, iphone4/5, and also Apple TV 3 that I can confirm. This is of course after importing them into Itunes as above stated.

I use IVI from the Mac Apple store to get the movie data brought into them before importing.
Bbafett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:09 PM   #335
raniel
macrumors regular

I've used the ipad for like 2 years, yet some of the things posted here amazes me. thanks
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:20 PM   #336
AngelOfSoul
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to AngelOfSoul
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamPod View Post
When setting up the wallpapers, you can pinch/zoom and pan them around to get them centered just how you like...the trick is, if you then rotate the system, you can do it again for the other orientation, and it remembers both. This way you could use a 1024x768 image, and then zoom in the portrait version so that it fills the 768x1024 screen without being ugly.
Excelent.
AngelOfSoul is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:50 AM   #337
zacharyabell
macrumors newbie

Is there a way to search gmail archive easier?

On my MacBook Pro on Gmail when I start typing someone's name they're email address comes up and I get all of the emails by that person. On my iPhone I have to remember their email address and even then it only pulls up a few emails. I just got an iPad and it seems to work the same as the iPhone—is that not true?
zacharyabell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:07 PM   #338
ron7624
macrumors 6502

Lightbulb floating keyboard on iPad

I haven't seen this mentioned. Today,I discovered a pretty cool feature when the keyboard is active on the screen, you can float it up or down. I discovered it by accident, and thought it was a bug at first requiring a reboot because the bottom of the keyboard was about an inch above the bottom bezel. But no, the control is right there on the bottom right key. the one that collapses the keyboard when you want to drop it below view.
On the very right of that key are 4 tiny horiz bars, that if you touch and slide upward, the keyboard will float up as far as you push it .. all the way to the top of the screen or anywhere in between.
Not sure how to use the feature yet, and if this is common knowledge or not, but if not, it is something we all can play with and find a use for.
ron7624 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:04 AM   #339
macanaw
macrumors newbie

Floating keyboard

Speaking of the floating kb, ScreenCastsOnline ( I believe he calls it SCOTutorials over on yt) says that you can hold your finger (or, I guess, stylus) on the kb disappear button for about 3 seconds, and it will yield a pop up menu, one choice of which is "Split." My iPad 2 won't do it, but the video tutorial shows it. Pretty neat if you're already a thumb-typer, and particularly useful if you're filling out a form or any other thing where you want the main portion of readable material to be in portrait format with the kb still visible for use.

Last edited by macanaw; Apr 30, 2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Spelling correction/added words
macanaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 08:03 PM   #340
AMC89
macrumors member

Not sure if I mentioned earlier macanaw but for the same effect of a split keyboard just pull it apart so to speak. One thumb each half of the kb and swipe outwards. Quicker method I would say
AMC89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:52 AM   #341
Distraktart
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbucker View Post
Press home + sleep button for screenshot. Shows up in photos.
Thanks for sharing this.
Distraktart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 07:14 PM   #342
goldilx
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb Injury Prevention

I have a great tip and I've learned this from experience.
To keep your iPad from falling over on to your head when your real sleepy at night. Just prop it up on a pillow far away, out of striking distance. The military approved case does not warn against bumps and bruises.
goldilx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 05:56 PM   #343
FartyDog
macrumors newbie

Trouble with Screen Sharing

I have a problem to get Screen Sharing to work between my iPad 4 and AppleTV 3. Airplay works perfectly from apps but when i try to enable Screen Sharing I canīt find the symbol.
Iīve searched the net without finding something helpful (itīs probably out there), so now I turn to the experts in this forum.
FartyDog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 07:37 AM   #344
cats4jan
macrumors newbie

Not exactly a tips/trick, but I couldn't live without my camera kit.

If your camera has an SD card, get the SD card reader kit for your iPad. While on vacation, you can copy your photos to your iPad in one simple step - the card reader goes into slot used to charge your iPad - the card goes into the reader - and the photos instantly transfer over.

After transfer, you will be asked whether you want to delete the photos from the card - don't. This is a great backup for your photos - just in case that media card glitches.

You can then separate the photos into folders so you can keep track of just where the photos were taken each day.

And it is so nice to be able to get a good look at your photos while on vacation - it helps you be a better photographer to see where you might improve your photos. You just can't see the detail when looking at your photos on your camera's screen.

If your camera does not have an SD card, there is a USB connector included in the kit so you can directly connect your camera to your iPad. I haven't used it, so I don't know how well it works.
cats4jan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:51 AM   #345
mayoy
macrumors newbie

From the iPod screen, you can enlarge the artwork by pinching out. You can return the artwork to its normal size by pinching in.

Kinda cool.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 03:11 PM   #346
SomeRandomAnt
macrumors newbie

If an app is unresponsive, press and hold the power and home buttons for 10 seconds. The iPad will reboot and the app will have shutdown.
SomeRandomAnt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting