Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Ok - here's the place to post any cool tricks/tips you have for everyone

For example - in the YouTube app, you can pinch or "un"pinch on the video to bring it full screen and back

In Photos - you unpinch to explode your photos - when you are ON a single photo you can pinch down and it will go back to that group of photos. Do it again and it goes back to all your groups...

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
When setting up the wallpapers, you can pinch/zoom and pan them around to get them centered just how you like...the trick is, if you then rotate the system, you can do it again for the other orientation, and it remembers both. This way you could use a 1024x768 image, and then zoom in the portrait version so that it fills the 768x1024 screen without being ugly.

FWW

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Anchorage, AK
Not a software trick or anything but I got a tip... Put a few strips of electrical tape on the back if you are waiting for your case to be delivered... That black rubber apple does scratch if you set it down and pick it up a few times.
:mad:

bluehaze013

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
Need a longer power cord? Pop the prongs off the 10w adapter and plug in an extension from your laptop or old radio whatever. I had several of these cords laying around they are pretty common probably can find them at radio shack or someplace similiar if you don't want to steal one from another device your using. I now have a 10 ft power cord :D

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Enable safari bookmark bar in safari settings.

Thank you, I wanted this but didn't know it was available.

My only tip is after accidentally pressing the home button because of how I was holding the iPad, I have been holding it upside down with no problems:D.

AWalkerStudios

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007
Austin
You shuffle the same way you do on the touch. When a song is playing tap once on the album art work to bring up playback controls. There's a shuffle icon to the right.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
this thread had the most responses ............

swiping up on the comma/exclamation softkey automatically inserts the apostrophe for you

perhaps we can merge the four threads?

Reactions: nicolas.holao

jobsfnby

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
iPod app

You can now edit any iTunes playlist within the iPod app.

When you have a playlist pulled up an edit button appears in the top right hand side of the window with all the songs just under the search box. I haven't used it at all but just noticed it. I've never seen this mentioned or highlighted before.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
FWW said:
Not a software trick or anything but I got a tip... Put a few strips of electrical tape on the back if you are waiting for your case to be delivered... That black rubber apple does scratch if you set it down and pick it up a few times.
:mad:

Good tip...a little better idea is to find egrip. http://www.egrips.com/

I bought like 10 packages on bay for dirt cheap. They are the BEST for this. I made a squre on the back of mine with long grips...so regardless of my orientation, my finger tips are in the right place. I was exchanging my pad...but passed my 14 days...so I plan to stick the rest of the package in key places. Even as it is, I can almost hold my pad vertical from the back. And when I stick the pad down on a surface it doesn't budge.

I have been thinking about putting some grips on the FRONT of the screen...in the corners. Anybody try this yet?

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
Tip # 4: Keeping your ipad in a handy spot next to your bed for quick reference will ensure you don't have sex again and your wife eventually divorces you.

...this is a problem for you? Most would have the iPad in a handy spot for something to do after rejection.

jhkingsr

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2007
NC
I've got 8 screens set up and have different categories for each (Games, Productivity, Entertainment, Utilities, etc.....). I found out how to get the extra screens by accident. When you move a app icon to the last screen, just continue sliding it to right edge, hold it there, and viola, a new screen appears! It really helps in keeping the apps organized.

Dillenger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2006
Central, Illinois
Tip # 4: Keeping your ipad in a handy spot next to your bed for quick reference will ensure you don't have sex again and your wife eventually divorces you.

or she won't have to use the headache excuse anymore, and under her breath you will hear her say, "Thanks, Steve."

jlpoore89

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
this thread had the most responses ............

swiping up on the comma/exclamation softkey automatically inserts the apostrophe for you

perhaps we can merge the four threads?

Thank you so much. Having to hit the numbers/symbols button every time I needed an apostrophe was ridiculous!! This trick will be super handy!!!

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Reactions: nicolas.holao

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Thank you so much. Having to hit the numbers/symbols button every time I needed an apostrophe was ridiculous!! This trick will be super handy!!!

I didn't know this either and was glad to learn. However, the iPad is pretty good about correcting didnt to didn't...just don't type the ' and it will put it in for you.

Apple all life said:
Everyone probably knows this but I will post anyway. If you hold the .COM button down .NET, .ORG, ect will show up.

I didn't know this. Thanks. I just wish the .com was on the keyboard more often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.